•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Need serious recommendations for a custom or high end Dob shop

Equipment Dob Optics
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 MER

MER

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Central, Ohio

Posted 10 April 2021 - 07:00 PM

Hello All!

Last November I ordered a 10” f6.3 Ultra Newtonian for a shop in the UK. It was supposed to ship six weeks ago. My most recent inquiry (a few weeks ago) they told me they had no idea when it would ship that it was in line for assemble and testing. But there where many, scopes ahead of me.

So, I am about to start thinking about canceling the order and try to go with a US shop.

A general outline of the scope:
Visual use only
Price range $2,500- 3,000
Again, I would be looking at a 10” Newtonian in the f6 -f7 range.
#1 priority is it MUST have superior optics!
Maybe a truss design might consider a full tube design
Light weight/ portable
Durable
Maybe DSC
Maybe a Wedge (I know more $)
High end focuser.
A tried-and-true design (OTA and mount)
Please feel free to ask questions if I have missed something.
Effective mirror cooling system

Any thought would be appreciated.

Many, Many Thanks in advance!

Edited by MER, 10 April 2021 - 07:09 PM.

• Tyson M likes this

#2 DBullard

DBullard

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 10 April 2021 - 07:26 PM

There are definitely options to investigate but when you take into consideration that you are looking at > $1500-2000 just for the primary mirror I don't think this happening for anywhere near your budget especially considering freight charges. (Most custom structures start at $3k without optics...

#3 MER

MER

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 April 2021 - 07:48 PM

DBullard,

Thanks for that input. The budget can be increased if need be. I appears that a lot these folks Have offerings that start larger than 10" 12 1/2" I wonder if there is any economy in going larger. 

If you have custom folks in mind I love to hear about them. Also taking your point if you have anyone that make premium (vs a custom) scopes I would be interested in that as well.

Many Thanks

#4 The Ardent

The Ardent

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 10 April 2021 - 07:50 PM

What if you found a nice Parallax 10” newt in the classifieds? You never know what a “wanted” ad will bring. 

http://www.parallaxi.../newtonian.html

• Bill Jensen likes this

#5 sevenofnine

sevenofnine

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Rosa, California

Posted 10 April 2021 - 08:22 PM

I always read excellent reports on this forum about "Teeter's Telescopes LLC" The scopes are absolutely gorgeous! However, you will need to have a serious discussion with your CFO as prices with premium optics start at double what you're thinking. Their website is impressive...Good luck, I hope it works out for you! waytogo.gif

Edited by sevenofnine, 10 April 2021 - 08:23 PM.

• Bill Jensen, Jim Haley and Jim T like this

#6 Bill Jensen

Bill Jensen

Viking 1

• Loc: Springfield VA

Posted 10 April 2021 - 08:27 PM

Are you certain you can recover any deposit you made on your current scope, especially if they ordered the optics? 

Assuming you can, like Ray indicated, you could put a WTB ad in the classifieds, or reach out to your local club members to see if they have something that fits your needs. .

It would be more likely to see used premium dobs (obviously not on a wedge) from New Moon or Teeter that would be in the f/5 range, although someone may have a f/6 from either manufacturer. Many of those scopes were sold with premium optics. You can always upgrade those too, if you don't like the optics that come with that used scope.

For Zambuto optics  you would be waiting a year or so per his website. Swayze actually has a couple of 10 inch mirror options available now. I am sure that other good opticians could give you some estimates on completion. 

My 10 inch f/5 Teeter STS model has an OTA/cradle assembly that weighs 41 pounds, for example. I don't know if that is light enough for you.  My solid tube would be heavier than a similar truss design. Some of the New Moon hybrids look quite light and could be outfitted with DSCs. I highly recommend the Nexus DSC that Teeter installed on my scope. 

Dennis at dobstuff also indicated he has some "premium": 10 inch f/6 optics available per a post on his Facebook page. You could contact him regarding his options. 

Good luck. 

Edited by Bill Jensen, 10 April 2021 - 08:28 PM.

#7 Bill Jensen

Bill Jensen

Viking 1

• Loc: Springfield VA

Posted 10 April 2021 - 08:45 PM

if it helps, I summarized my 10 inch Teeter last year when I picked it up at this post:

https://www.cloudyni.../736061-sts-10/

• turtle86 likes this

#8 Pinbout

Pinbout

ISS

Posted 11 April 2021 - 03:26 PM

A f6 for a 10” is pretty long for a truss dob

heres a f4.7 

0AD83C82-9C63-48CC-B910-D87304A7DA0E.jpeg

• Bill Jensen, sevenofnine and RedzoneMN like this

#9 MER

MER

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 April 2021 - 08:08 PM

Pinbout

Good point. Nice looking scope.

• Pinbout likes this

#10 MER

MER

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 April 2021 - 08:08 PM

Bill Jensen, thank you!

Thanks everyone!

• Bill Jensen likes this

#11 RedzoneMN

RedzoneMN

Ranger 4

• Loc: West of the Twin Cities

Posted 13 April 2021 - 05:40 AM

A f6 for a 10” is pretty long for a truss dob

heres a f4.7 

attachicon.gif0AD83C82-9C63-48CC-B910-D87304A7DA0E.jpeg

Wow....who made this one?

#12 bbasiaga

bbasiaga

Apollo

Posted 13 April 2021 - 07:42 AM

The wait time on a newly placed order is not going to be short, so keep that in mind too.  

Check out astrosystems as well.  I don't know if they go down to 10", but they are great, and come in kit form.  If you are able to assemble the pieces yourself it is a good way to learn about telescope making and save some money.  

-Brian

• George N and turtle86 like this

#13 Pinbout

Pinbout

ISS

Posted 13 April 2021 - 09:02 AM

Wow....who made this one?

A little elf 

Edited by Pinbout, 13 April 2021 - 01:57 PM.

• Bill Jensen, turtle86 and RedzoneMN like this

#14 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 14 April 2021 - 10:28 AM

The wait time on a newly placed order is not going to be short, so keep that in mind too.  

Check out astrosystems as well.  I don't know if they go down to 10", but they are great, and come in kit form.  If you are able to assemble the pieces yourself it is a good way to learn about telescope making and save some money.  

-Brian

Order a 'commercial grade' Dob -- Who knows - you might actually like it! --- or at least it could well come with good optics. I've heard from a lot of happy GSO Newt optics owners lately.

You can always 'do the kit thing' - taking the optics out of a 'commercial grade' Dob and putting them in a completed kit.

Even if you buy a 'commecial grade' and get it now - to use while a 'premium' is being built - you can sell it later - with the price difference being 'the price' of observing and learning with it over a year or so while the 'premium' is being made.

• Bill Jensen likes this

#15 turtle86

turtle86

Mr. Coffee

Posted 15 April 2021 - 05:35 PM

-Brian

They do go down to 10":

https://www.astrosys...iz/telekits.htm

Here's another good option:

http://dobstuff.com

• Bill Jensen and George N like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Equipment, Dob, Optics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics