•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Russian Maks

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#76 JohnH

JohnH

Gemini

• ****-
  • Loc: Squamish BC Moved!!!!!

Posted 26 July 2021 - 11:11 PM

Would someone buy this 11” and sell me their 10”? luxo II?

https://astromart.co...utov-cassegrain

I never get the appeal of high f ratio Maksutovs.

My 8" Intes Alter is f/10 and it shows amazing details on planetary objects and the like. With a 2X on a 7mm Nagler, the Ring Nebula is a beautiful, off round jewel.

At some point, I'm going to get into ATM again once my 12 1/2" Newtonian is done, as I have about a dozen Maksutov correctors including 6 of the rare 11 1/4" ones made back in the day.

Yeah, I just can’t see spending another $13k for an additional 2” of aperture. Many nights, the seeing isn’t even good enough to use the TEC160 to its full potential. 

For the rare times the atmosphere holds a nice thermal balance and the winds are calm here, a larger scope can show their potential.

#77 luxo II

luxo II

Skylab

• ****-
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 27 July 2021 - 01:48 AM

Would someone buy this 11” and sell me their 10”? luxo II?

You're about 10'th in the queue for it.

#78 maroubra_boy

maroubra_boy

Apollo

• -----

Posted 27 July 2021 - 02:43 AM

I know where Luxo keeps the 10"...

Bugger the queue!

Edited by maroubra_boy, 27 July 2021 - 02:44 AM.

• StarAlert likes this

#79 StarAlert

StarAlert

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 July 2021 - 08:02 AM

If it was $12k delivered to my door, I’d take the leap. My mount would easily handle it. I’d just have to add a counterweight. 

#80 luxo II

luxo II

Skylab

• ****-

Posted 27 July 2021 - 08:20 AM

If it was $12k delivered to my door, I’d take the leap.

If you are serious get in touch with Markus Ludes.

But if anything untoward happens to that scope you’d better buy a one way ticket to a very remote place in South America.

Edited by luxo II, 27 July 2021 - 08:26 AM.

#81 lakeorion

lakeorion

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Orion MI

Posted 27 July 2021 - 08:50 AM

I can only wistfully dream of Russian Maks while I look through my Synta 180 and count the diffraction rings.

They died because I could get really good for $1000 and settle for that rather than spectacular for 2x or more the cost.

#82 maroubra_boy

maroubra_boy

Apollo

• -----

Posted 27 July 2021 - 09:52 AM

I can only wistfully dream of Russian Maks while I look through my Synta 180 and count the diffraction rings.

They died because I could get really good for $1000 and settle for that rather than spectacular for 2x or more the cost.

Don't feel bad this way. These Synta 180's are VERY blooming good for mass produced scopes. The variation in quality between units is really very little, streets ahead of what is the variation between SCTs. I'd say it is not uncommon to find these Synta Maks as good as the Standard from Intes. Nothing to sneeze at.

Alex.
  • teashea and jkmccarthy like this

#83 lakeorion

lakeorion

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Orion MI

Posted 28 July 2021 - 02:49 PM

I was being very tongue in cheek.  My point was the end of the 'excellence' was very good for half the price.

Love my new Mak.  Can't Shouldn't afford more.  However, wife's first comment was 'that was only $1000?'  So maybe I should have...

• maroubra_boy likes this

#84 msalganik

msalganik

Mariner 2

• Loc: Colorado Springs, CO

Posted 28 July 2021 - 03:37 PM

Im actually a bit surprised that the likes of Synta never explored Maks about 8". Would have been interesting to see 10 and 12 (or higher) models? 

• Old Speckled Hen likes this

#85 Ptkacik

Ptkacik

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 28 July 2021 - 07:13 PM

I disagree with the slow focal ratio comment.

I’d love to get an F30 7” Mak. Sure. No wide field. I have dozens of other scopes for that.

But it would be a cake walk to get high power for planetary viewing.

Regards,

Peter

#86 nfotis

nfotis

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Athens, Greece

Posted 28 July 2021 - 09:53 PM

Im actually a bit surprised that the likes of Synta never explored Maks about 8". Would have been interesting to see 10 and 12 (or higher) models? 

It's my understanding that it's very costly to buy glass blanks above 203mm or so.

N.F.

#87 chunkymak

chunkymak

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 06 August 2021 - 05:19 AM

Hi all, new to this site, despite registering back in 2013 (life got in the way!)  Just a quick blurb about me before I add my bit, I live in the U.K., in my late 50’s and have been interested in astronomy for many many years (first saw the rings of Saturn back in 72 or 73 through my Tesco 4VTE 40mm refractor) Like many of you, family and work commitments have taken their toll on my astronomical activity’s over the years but now find that for the first time in years, i have a bit more time on my hands (hoping to retire soon) I’m really enjoying my time under the night sky! Anyway,  I’m fortunate enough to own a couple of Russian Maks,  an Intes MK67 and an Alter M603. The reason I have two very similar scopes is because the Alter was offered to me very cheap from a local club member who was having a “clear out“ of his Astro gear. Both are very good optically. I also own a very nice Meade 7” Mak which is (in my humble opinion) “one of the good ones”  Superb optics when cooled down. The Russians really know their stuff when it comes to optics. I’ve owned several Russian scopes of different designs over the years and ALL have been very good to excellent optically. I got into maks via a humble non goto etx90- lovely little scope. I’m mainly a Luna/planetary/double star observer (due to light pollution where I live) and I find maks excellent for this task. All have carry handles (I fitted one to my 7” Meade when removing the iron weight) and are easy to to carry down a flight of stairs into the garden. They are very easy to set up, hold collimation very well and the eyepiece is conveniently located (most of the time) What’s not to like!  I know that an apo refractor and a well designed Newtonian will also give great results, but even a 5” or 6” apo can be a bit tricky when negotiating stairs. And as for an 8” Newtonian down a flight of stairs, let’s just say that it can be done but not recommended long term. Anyway, as others have pointed out, it’s a shame that any Mak over 6” or 7” shoots up in price. I would love a 10” or 12” Russian Maksutov, but then again, I would also love to live under transparent dark skies! Anyway, enjoy your scopes, whatever type, however big or small, and enjoy the beauty of the night sky (day sky for all of you sun observers)  P.S.  You may have seen my first posting from yesterday regarding collimating an Intes Mak Newt. Any advice on where to start with this would be greatly appreciated (I know I mentioned stairs, this is to be kept covered over in the garden shed) Thank you.

• R Botero likes this

#88 luxo II

luxo II

Skylab

• ****-

Posted 06 August 2021 - 05:31 AM

Welcome to the Kremlin, comrade ! 

So you have  4 maks ?!? The Meade LX200 7" maks I've seen were very good optically but had the dreadful lump of iron in the back... 

#89 chunkymak

chunkymak

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 07 August 2021 - 04:27 PM

Hi comrade Skylab.

I have a guilty secret I have to admit!!  I’m a double agent!! I have a small collection of both Russian and American optics. I couldn’t help myself-honest!! 
I own the following Maks- From the capitalist USA- Meade etx90 and etx125 plus two (yes two)  Meade 7”maks  both with the “dinner gongs” removed, and yes, optically excellent.  And from mother Russia-Intes/micro MK67, Alter M603 Plus the MN78 previously mentioned. I also own various refractors (the biggest is a custom made 6” f12 Istar cannon) plus a few Newtonians, mounts, binoculars, eyepieces etc... you know, the sort of stuff most of us have lying around the house at any one time!  Most of this (ota’s and eyepieces) are kept in what my wife calls “the space room” There, my guilty secret is out! Please don’t judge me too harshly comrade, my intentions were honourable. I thought it my duty to help keep the amateur astronomical manufacturers in business. It appears that I’ve failed in regards to our Russian friends. Oh well, I did try!
peace!

• Stopforths likes this

#90 teashea

teashea

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Posted 07 August 2021 - 07:30 PM

Gentlemen, there is another on going thread discussing insulation.  Let's please stay on topic.

Please remember that there are female members of CN.

• Kevin Barker likes this

#91 bierbelly

bierbelly

Voyager 1

• Loc: Stephens City, VA

Posted 10 August 2021 - 01:12 PM

Please remember that there are female members of CN.

Gentlepeeps?

#92 chunkymak

chunkymak

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 10 August 2021 - 01:41 PM

1D79F107-8379-4802-90B6-2DF2B396997D.jpeg

Comrades, I present my Intes MK67. Got this some years back. Really nice grab & go scope. Lightweight, and with the insulation I fitted, ready to rock in no time. Great for Luna/planetary and double star observations. And don’t you just love the psychedelic purple corrector plate. Beautiful! 

• Jaimo! and Kevin Barker like this

#93 chunkymak

chunkymak

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 10 August 2021 - 01:44 PM

Ready to rock.

Attached Thumbnails

• 5BEFFDD6-C514-4F3D-AC0F-D9EF59FA02C2.jpeg

• Lumix.guy likes this

#94 StarAlert

StarAlert

Surveyor 1

Posted 17 August 2021 - 09:36 AM

Any suggestions on what I need to do to fix this flare?

In Focus

E0391464 6184 4717 9194 DB7D54A2DAC6

Outside focus
Outside focus

056D1AE0 E4D1 4E8F ACF0 4ADC29D4C0A2

BFD7226B 76ED 4645 83F6 925691826410

Edited by StarAlert, 17 August 2021 - 09:42 AM.

#95 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 17 August 2021 - 10:50 AM

Looks like there may be a heat plume at the 6 o’clock position.  Let the scope acclimate more and then check it, possibly adjusting the collimation.

Bill

#96 chunkymak

chunkymak

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 17 August 2021 - 12:58 PM

Hi StarAlert

I have observed the same many times in my makutovs and sct’s over the years. It’s a heat plume. You can verify this yourself. Next time you set up your scope, notice the position of the plume. If you then move the scope to point to another part of the sky, the position of the plume will change accordingly. Depending on the size and design of your scope, plus where it’s stored, it can typically take anything from 15 minutes to several hours for the scope to acclimatise once set up. I (as have many others) have got around this problem by insulating our scopes. There are several articles about this on CN-well worth researching. It has worked wonders on my Intes MK67 and my Celestron C8. I intended to insulate all of my maks and sct’s when I get the time. 

Clear skies

Edited by chunkymak, 17 August 2021 - 01:15 PM.

#97 chunkymak

chunkymak

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 17 August 2021 - 01:05 PM

BTW-It wasn’t very clear last night, but the only night in ages that wasn’t totally clouded out. I quickly set up my MK67 and was observing in minutes. Nice tight stars with nice diffraction rings on the double double in Lyra. 

Clear skies 

Edited by chunkymak, 17 August 2021 - 01:17 PM.

#98 StarAlert

StarAlert

Surveyor 1

Posted 17 August 2021 - 01:47 PM

A8F64F78-9429-45E0-9062-FFD3B274EC6E.jpegHi StarAlert
I have observed the same many times in my makutovs and sct’s over the years. It’s a heat plume. You can verify this yourself. Next time you set up your scope, notice the position of the plume. If you then move the scope to point to another part of the sky, the position of the plume will change accordingly. Depending on the size and design of your scope, plus where it’s stored, it can typically take anything from 15 minutes to several hours for the scope to acclimatise once set up. I (as have many others) have got around this problem by insulating our scopes. There are several articles about this on CN-well worth researching. It has worked wonders on my Intes MK67 and my Celestron C8. I intended to insulate all of my maks and sct’s when I get the time.

Clear skies

Thanks. I’ll try that.
If it’s a heat plume, then the direction shouldn’t change if I rotate the camera, correct?

#99 chunkymak

chunkymak

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 17 August 2021 - 02:59 PM

Hi StarAlert

If it’s a heat plume (and it looks like one to me) rotating the camera should have no effect on the direction of the flare.

If the flare rotates with the camera, then the issue is with your camera.

Good luck.

#100 Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 18 August 2021 - 07:49 AM

Don't feel bad this way. These Synta 180's are VERY blooming good for mass produced scopes. The variation in quality between units is really very little, streets ahead of what is the variation between SCTs. I'd say it is not uncommon to find these Synta Maks as good as the Standard from Intes. Nothing to sneeze at.

Alex.

Yep. Remmeber the mewlon vs Synta Mak test.

https://www.cloudyni...atcher-180-mak/

I was reading japanese forum, they're having heyday because of this. In a way takahashi failed to produce affordable mak. Synta dominated the market with almost no cheap alternative.

• jkmccarthy likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics