•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

pixinsight calibration isnt fixing my bad coulumns

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 adamphillips

adamphillips

Messenger

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 11 April 2021 - 02:00 AM

so my old ccd camera has a few bad coloums, they are barely noticeable

ive been using DSS for years, very new to PI. my plan to ease into it is to just stack in PI first.

i have learned a lot. with batchweightedpreprocessing.

but in DSS, even just one dark or one bias would fix the hot coulumns no problem.

in PI it didnt work.

does anybody have any experience with this?

#2 Mika76

Mika76

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 April 2021 - 04:39 AM

You can use the PI process CosmeticCorrection for this, it is working very well for correcting a bad column on my CCD. Check out this video for an example of how to use it for correcting a bad column:

https://www.youtube....h?v=YOjAJjuDOZg

In the video it is used by loading the images to be corrected into that CosmeticCorrection tool. But if you use WBP for stacking your images there is a more convenient way of using it. First you enter the columns to be corrected into the CosmeticCorrection process, and then you save an instance of that onto the PI workspace. In my case I renamed the process icon to "CorrectBadColumn", and I saved it to my list of process icons that are loaded into the workspace each time PI launches. Then, in WBP you tick the "Apply" checkbox in the Cosmetic Correction section in the Lights tab, and you chose your process icon, in my case CorrectBadColumn, in the Template icon dropdownlist (see screen shot below). When you run WBP this process will be applied to all images.

It might appear a bit complicated at first sight, but when setup properly it only amounts to clicking Apply and select a process icon that is by default on my workspace.

Mikael

Attached Thumbnails

• PI_CC.png

Edited by Mika76, 11 April 2021 - 04:56 AM.

#3 adamphillips

adamphillips

Messenger

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 11 April 2021 - 12:38 PM

thanks for that, ive got everything except i dont know how to save an instance.

if i can do that ill be all set

#4 DaveB

DaveB

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 11 April 2021 - 02:14 PM

See this article as well (it may be a duplicate of the video, I didn't watch it): http://remoteastroph...sing-pixinsight

Once you have your defects entered in the "Use Defect List" section of the CC dialog box, click the Save button in that section. It will just save a simple text file. The contents of my file look like this:

Col 2370 2088 2503
Col 1994 2455 2503

On your next image, just click the Load button to load the bad pixel map file. Or even better, save the CC process as an icon, and it will already have the defect list loaded. 

• rockstarbill likes this

#5 adamphillips

adamphillips

Messenger

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 11 April 2021 - 03:28 PM

i learned how to save the process as an icon. by dragging the triangle to the screen.

but i cant save it to the workspace.

i saved it when i shut PI down. but it still always says erase all icons? i cant figure out how to make it stay

#6 DaveB

DaveB

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 11 April 2021 - 04:13 PM

Ah, gotcha. There are (at least) three ways to accomplish this:

1. Using the Menus - Click on the PROCESS menu at the top of the PI GUI. At the bottom of the (long) drop-down menu, click Process Icons, then click Save Process Icons... Then, the next time that you launch PI, you can use the same menu but click Load Process Icons...
    Process menu.png

2. Using the GUI - Basically, this is the same as #1 except that it uses buttons on the GUI rather than the menu system. The Load Icons button is circled in red, the Save Icons button in blue.
    Icon menu.png
    NOTE: If you don't see these buttons, you will need to enable these buttons going to the VIEW menu, then Toolbars, then making sure that Process Icons is checked.

3. Save all of your work as a project. This saves all open windows, icons, etc. However, this only works for one project at a time. If you start a new image, you will need to utilize 1 or 2 above to get back the icons.

I save my entire workflow as a set of process icons that spans multiple workspaces (partially shown on the second screenshot above). When you save the process icons, it also saves the workspace that they are located in. I changed the names of my workspaces, and it remembers thosw when I reload the process icons.

• dswtan likes this

#7 pfile

pfile

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----

Posted 11 April 2021 - 05:15 PM

could it just be that you have dark optimization turned on and thus the dark scaling factor < 1 is causing the hot columns to be undersubtracted?

not that CC isn't the way forward but i think this could be the cause of the difference between DSS and PI calibration.

rob

#8 adamphillips

adamphillips

Messenger

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 11 April 2021 - 11:08 PM

you know what, you may be right. i did check dark optimization on, and it wasnt on on default. the suggestion looked like i should, but i could try it without it

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics