•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Use Nikon Z or mono cooled camera for wide angle?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bokemon

bokemon

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Silicon Valley, California

Posted 11 April 2021 - 04:42 AM

Hello folks,

When the Milky Way starts popping up again, I want to do some very wide angle shots.  I have a Nikon Z camera in which I might go and buy a 50mm F/1.8S prime lens.  The special thing about this lens is that it has a short backfocus, and so can only be used with the Z camera and not the mono camera.  I already have a whole bunch of F lenses, mono cooled astro camera + filter wheel, and then a bunch of actual telescopes.  The widest of the telescopes is a Williams Optics GT71, which is 336mm focal length.

Now the nice thing about the F lenses is that there is enough back focus that I can use the filter wheel + mono camera for narrowband.  I used the Z camera for the first few weeks of my learning, but then quickly moved on to the mono camera.  So I don't fully know what the Z camera is capable of.

With all that said, I guess my choice on which to use depends on:

• Read noise of Nikon Z vs cooled camera
  • Dark noise
  • (also the Z is full frame and the mono camera is micro 4/3)
  • whether any of the wide angle shots are done in narrowband
  • The mono camera + filter wheel can correct for some lens defects, like different focal lengths for each color

Any other factors to consider?

#2 whwang

whwang

Soyuz

Posted 11 April 2021 - 05:01 AM

I think the sensor size difference is sufficient for you to go with the Z. Another factor is that if you use Z, you won’t need a computer. In many cases, I find the need of a computer very annoying, especially for wide-angle shots where everything else can be kept minimal. Personally I don’t find narrow-band wide-angle shots very visually appealing, except for deep, high-quality, H alpha, B/W pictures. I am biased, though.

Edited by whwang, 11 April 2021 - 05:02 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics