•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sky Tools 4 object catalogs and the Visual/Imaging bundle

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bobo666

Bobo666

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: S.W. Australia

Posted 11 April 2021 - 05:51 AM

Having almost decided on Sky Tools, I have just two queries that I'm finding difficult to find answers for.

First, does anyone know if it's possible to add/create your own object catalogs?

Second, adding the Visual app to the Imaging app doesn't add much more to the cost. Are the differences between the two products worth having both?

Thanks

#2 obrazell

obrazell

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Posted 11 April 2021 - 07:34 AM

I guess the answer to your second question would be if you do imaging then there are a lot of features in there that you might find useful that are not in the Visual edtion. If you are a visual observer then no. As for the first question you can add objects to a supplemental database but in ST4 you cannot bulk load catalogues like you could in ST3. The catalogues in ST4 are reasonanbly complete, although perhaps missing some, so it would mean that you may not have too unless you have very obscure catalogues that you want to work with. One glaring omission for southern observers might be the ACO S list of southern galaxy clusters.

• Bobo666 likes this

#3 Bobo666

Bobo666

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: S.W. Australia

Posted 14 April 2021 - 01:48 AM

For anyone vaguely interested in my original q1, it appears I was using the wrong terminology. You can indeed add/create your own observing lists by reading in a list of objects from a text file. Thanks to the author of Sky Tools for setting me straight.

Edited by Bobo666, 14 April 2021 - 01:48 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics