•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Satellite problem....

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Astro Waves

Astro Waves

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 April 2021 - 06:31 AM

Hi everyone, 

Whats the dest way to deal with satellites in images? I have some images that have minor trails in them and some that are bloody rife with them, will stacking all the data just add all the trails together for the final image and then you can remove them in post or is it better to just discard them? This is the first time I've encountered this problem so badly, also is there a good way to stack the images with all the satellites, I'd just interested to put them all together to see how and it is,

Cheers

#2 Hypoxic

Hypoxic

Viking 1

• Loc: Oise, France

Posted 11 April 2021 - 06:45 AM

Yes, stacking (according to your settings) will remove the satellite trails. 

#3 StarBurger

StarBurger

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Country NY

Posted 11 April 2021 - 07:16 AM

If using DSS (Deep Sky Stacker) select the Median  Kappa Sigma stacking option. I think it needs a minimum number of 9 frames to work effectively.

• limeyx likes this

#4 kathyastro

kathyastro

Gemini

• Loc: Nova Scotia

Posted 11 April 2021 - 08:10 AM

Sigma clipping will take care of all but the worst of them.  As noted above, Median Kappa Sigma in DSS, or Windsorized Sigma Clipping in PixInsight.

If the stacking software finds artifacts (satellite trails or cosmic rays, for example) that are in one sub but not in the others, it will not integrate those specific pixels from that one sub.  You get a slight decrease in SNR in those pixels, but it is usually not noticeable, especially if you have lots of sus.

• bobharmony and limeyx like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics