•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Need advice on a sturdy tripod for Losmandy GM8 G

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 kdkleck1959

kdkleck1959

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 11 April 2021 - 07:12 AM

I'm purchasing a GM8 G and want something more sturdy than the Losmandy LW tripod.  Their HD tripod is an option but at 35 pounds I'm hesitant to commit to carrying it out to dark sites.  Can anyone recommend a sturdy mount that won't weigh as much but still minimizes wind and vibration effect?  This is my first step up from a Sky Guider Pro and I'm hoping to get it right the first time. I'll be starting with a triplet refractor, probably 80mm.

Thanks for your time and attention.

#2 mtminnesota

mtminnesota

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: St. Paul

Posted 11 April 2021 - 07:16 AM

If 24 pounds is OK, the Berlebach Planet is a great tripod.

#3 kdkleck1959

kdkleck1959

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 11 April 2021 - 07:28 AM

I've thought about that one for sure, my hesitation is the wood reacting to the damp and dew here in New England.  The weight sounds perfect though and it's supposed to be very sturdy.  Thanks for your response.

• mtminnesota likes this

#4 astrohamp

astrohamp

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 08:44 AM

Find a Rob Miller tripod (used) if you can.

Another would be by Particle Wave...if...

I own and use a Losmandy LW (light weight) tripod with my GM8.  Low to no leg extension and the 12" pillar is pretty stable although leg spreader a bit fiddly to set up.

A Losmandy HD folding tripod sits under my CEM120 and is near bomb proof.  Legs lock into place, levels with iterative care using hand friction around lower leg tube at the clamp.  Go past and repeat on other two legs i.e., no mount/ota lifting...only lower.   Heavy yes.  Function...not much better. YMMV

• weis14 and kdkleck1959 like this

#5 Jethro7

Jethro7

Surveyor 1

• Loc: N.W. Florida

Posted 11 April 2021 - 09:02 AM

I'm purchasing a GM8 G and want something more sturdy than the Losmandy LW tripod.  Their HD tripod is an option but at 35 pounds I'm hesitant to commit to carrying it out to dark sites.  Can anyone recommend a sturdy mount that won't weigh as much but still minimizes wind and vibration effect?  This is my first step up from a Sky Guider Pro and I'm hoping to get it right the first time. I'll be starting with a triplet refractor, probably 80mm.

Hello kdkleck1959,

I will cast vote for the Berlebach Planet tripod. They are about as stable as they come, short of a permanent pier. Wood is not as efficient of a conductor of vibration as metal. If you do go with the Berlebach Planet tripod, order it with the double leg clamps ( just a little insurance policy) The Losmandy Heavy tripod is also very stable and I have no complaints other than they are a bit heavy. I own all of these tripods and I will agree that the Losmandy light weight tripod is not as stable as I would have liked for their excellent mounts. 

Enjoy that wonderful Losmandy GM8G mount I love my G11G. KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

P.S. The Berlebach Uni Astro tripod may also be a concideration for travel. At 16 Lbs and 110 Lbs capacity vs the Planets 24 Lbs. And 220 lbs capacity. Just a after thought. 

Edited by Jethro7, 11 April 2021 - 09:32 AM.

• mtminnesota, limeyx and kdkleck1959 like this

#6 Jethro7

Jethro7

Surveyor 1

• Loc: N.W. Florida

Posted 11 April 2021 - 09:47 AM

I've thought about that one for sure, my hesitation is the wood reacting to the damp and dew here in New England.  The weight sounds perfect though and it's supposed to be very sturdy.  Thanks for your response.

Hello kdkleck1959,

I live in N.W. Florida, on the Gulf of Mexico, believe me it is humid here in the Summer. I have to take a break from observing now and again to wipe everything down with a towel when dew is just dripping off my gear. I have never had any issues with my Berlebach tripods. The tripod legs are sealed and finished with lacquer.

HAPPY SKIES AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

Edited by Jethro7, 11 April 2021 - 09:50 AM.

#7 Charlie B

Charlie B

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sterling, Virginia

Posted 11 April 2021 - 09:53 AM

The legs and head all separate.  I typically use it for remote dark sites.  It's only 35 lbs assembled and it's easy to assemble.

Regards,

Charlie b

#8 Stelios

Stelios

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 11 April 2021 - 01:29 PM

Try an Avalon T-110 tripod. Lightweight (extremely--15lbs) super-durable, comes with a great case, and has dual clamps on each leg. Four years of rough use haven't left a mark on it. HIGHLY recommended!

You may need an adapter, so inquire. 

• Jethro7 likes this

#9 pweiler

pweiler

Vostok 1

• Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Posted 11 April 2021 - 10:29 PM

Close here - I use a G811g with LW tri with usually fully extended legs and I have been very surprised by the low vibration for visual use. If the wind is really strong/gusty I do notice some bounciness.
I agonized over the decision between the LW and HW and have been happy with lighter load to carry into the backyard or better sky sites.
  • Jaimo! likes this

#10 Claytoncramer

Claytoncramer

Vostok 1

Posted 21 April 2021 - 08:16 PM

Thanks for giving confidence about the LW tripod. I will be buying the G811G soon.

#11 Matt Deierlein

Matt Deierlein

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 27 April 2021 - 03:40 PM

Close here - I use a G811g with LW tri with usually fully extended legs and I have been very surprised by the low vibration for visual use. If the wind is really strong/gusty I do notice some bounciness.
I agonized over the decision between the LW and HW and have been happy with lighter load to carry into the backyard or better sky sites.

I'm glad to hear that the LW tripod performs well!  Do others have similar experiences with it?

I currently own a G11 with the Folding HD tripod.  Like astrohamp said, all versions of the HD tripod are essentially bomb-proof.  I would go even further and say that the HD tripod is probably the cornerstone of Losmandy Mounts' stability (especially when loaded with lots of gear).  bow.gif

But that said, I've been thinking lately about migrating to the LW tripod.

The reasons are that I'm already in my 50's and then injured my back a month ago.  So while I seem to have recovered well enough for normal daily activities, I'm still quite concerned about re-injuring myself while hauling the (one-piece) Folding HD tripod in and out of my Subaru Crosstrek.  To make matters worse, my FHD probably has another 5 lb on the bottom end, due to some foot modifications I made to improve its friendliness to flooring during handling.  And of course I don't expect to be getting any younger. bawling.gif

To make matters a little better, I long ago realized that holding the bottom of the legs with a hoisting strap (like holding a dog by a leash) was a great way for me to remain upright and symmetrical while loading the folded tripod in and out of a car (if you have this sort of trouble, a $15, 4-foot nylon hoist sling works REALLY WELL waytogo.gif ).

But any way you look at it, my folded HD is 4 feet long and more than twice the weight of any component in my whole setup (I have the quick-disconnect that separates the 18 lb G11 Dec Axis from the 18 lb G11 RA Axis for handling, I use only 11 lb and 7 lb counterweights, and my OTA's are in the 10-20 lb range).  So a sturdy tripod around 20 lb or less would represent a huge improvement for handling.

I've considered using an LX-200 tripod with the Losmandy adapter (I once had an LXD-650 mount, which used a variant of the LX-200 standard tripod).  These are actually cheaper than the LW, quite stable, and not dramatically heavier.  But I do like the way that Losmandy tripod legs clamp at the top, and I don't mind paying more for the LW if it's lighter and works as well.

Hearing about similar experiences with the LW tripod would be greatly appreciated!

Matt D.

#12 Jaimo!

Jaimo!

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: 3rd Stone from the Sun

Posted 27 April 2021 - 04:35 PM

I was pleasantly surprised by the function of the LW tripod.  I picked up a second hand GM8 last fall and have used it throughout the winter and spring.  Although I have not used anything bigger than a 4" refractor, I have had no problems and will continue to use it.  It is lighter than my SS tripod for the CG-5/CGEM, but much easier to deploy.  Throughout the winter, I used this on my blacktop driveway without any vibration absorbers and it performed flawlessly.  But, I have never extended the legs...  with an 80mm it should be bulletproof.

Also, I really like the design and the shelf has ample room for any power supplies, etc.

penny.gif penny.gif ,

Jaimo!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics