•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Southern Beehive Cluster in 15 Seconds

DSLR DSO Astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Aurora

• topic starter
  • Loc: Red Centre, Oz

Posted 11 April 2021 - 08:33 AM

G'day all,

Been processing old data. Pushing a single sub to its limits is high on the priority list. This one was from my uncorrectable C5/750 SCT (from ca. 1975, so not enough backfocus for a field flattener/coma corrector):

(Click for full size @ 35%.)

gallery_273658_7587_100438.jpg

Capture & processing details

Cheers,

BQ

• zjc26138, lukasik, chrysalis and 3 others like this

#2 deansjc

deansjc

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 11 April 2021 - 10:55 AM

Ok, so the blems are apparent, but this is a very good image pulled from very little exposure.  Nicely done.  Nice star colours.  You've encouraged at least one person to try to get more with less!

John

#3 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Aurora

• topic starter
  • Loc: Red Centre, Oz

Posted 12 April 2021 - 02:28 AM

Thanks John! This stemmed from seeing a northern Beehive Cluster shot with two hours of data—and yet the stars were quite jagged around the edges from oversharpening. I realized that a star field requires a very different workflow from other DSOs—the stars need far less sharpening than other targets, and they're plenty bright (I only need like ~20sec on Trapezium and the surrounding clouds when I do an HDR to bring back the burnt-out parts. So I figured I'd give a single sub a go. I got good results at 100% scale with 30sec at f/2.8, so in this case I tried my hand at my f/6 data. I could only squeeze 50% scale out of that, but still pretty good I think…

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DSLR, DSO, Astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics