•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

M81 w/ QHY461

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 prefetch

prefetch

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 April 2021 - 03:16 PM

222 total frames of RGB, 1 minute each, calibrated with master bias, no darks or flats via PI.  CDK1000 @ F/4.25

not very good seeing - so i cut off frames that were > 3.1 FWHM and just went ahead with it.  w/ that cutoff i went from 288 frames down to 222, so a little over 3.5 hours of integration.

there is a type of "bloom" effect on the bright stars - you'll see a horizontal band of dark pixels emanating from both sides of the brightest star to the right of m81.  the guys at QHY are working on trying to reproduce this.  hopefully we'll get a fix soon.

8v8HDQV.png

Edited by prefetch, 11 April 2021 - 03:17 PM.

• psandelle, calypsob, vakulenko_sergiy and 3 others like this

#2 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 11 April 2021 - 03:25 PM

Nice, there seems to be a black line through the middle of the galaxy.  Otherwise its an incredibly well resolved galaxy.  Do you have this posted somewhere to see it in better resolution? 

Edited by calypsob, 11 April 2021 - 03:26 PM.

#3 prefetch

prefetch

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 April 2021 - 03:47 PM

Nice, there seems to be a black line through the middle of the galaxy.  Otherwise its an incredibly well resolved galaxy.  Do you have this posted somewhere to see it in better resolution? 

there is a type of "bloom" effect on the bright stars - you'll see a horizontal band of dark pixels emanating from both sides of the brightest star to the right of m81.  the guys at QHY are working on trying to reproduce this.  hopefully we'll get a fix soon.

here are some higher resolution versions: https://www.flickr.c...126636/sizes/l/

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics