•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Not that impressed with skywatcher wifi dongle so far

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 robodan

robodan

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 April 2021 - 03:29 PM

Have had a play with the SW wifi dongle.

Things I don't like are, doing polar alighment gives no indication how far your off, unlike the HC

2 crashes out on IOS Often, the synscan app just stops and the iPad goes back to home screen.

3 using skysafari, you click on and object, only gets to the ballpark, you can hit aligh, but the object you goto is so far off you cannot aligh, so obviously sybscan and SkySafari don't talk to each other properly.

Synscan app does aligh as well as the HC.

But on IOS very clunky as need to apps running to get it working and 3 if using skysafari.

Certainly a very poor setup compared to celestron who have it working well with SkySafari or starportal. Can do alignment and works well.

As yet have not tried synscan on Android for any length of time. On ios just seems to buggy and the polar alighment feature is useless compared to the HC which gives how far your off the pole.

Whrn doing polar alighment in synscan app, goes through use alt bolts and alt bolts as normal then when you have done all required, nothing or figures how far off you are.

Gone back to using the HC not a patch on Celestron thats for sure

#2 Supernova74

Supernova74

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 11 April 2021 - 03:46 PM

I personally use skyfi with skysafari plus hard to beat especially when it’s compatible with many different brand name mounts.ive seen the skywatcher equivalent as i beleive thay have it on there entry level star discovery azimuth mounts from what I could see as I was just curious I downloaded the app didn’t seem as versatile or user friendly as skysafari and skyportal apps.

#3 robodan

robodan

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 April 2021 - 04:16 PM

Skyfi is made for scopes to use skysafari so may well work better then SW wifi. I presume it works as well as celestron going through star portal or skysafari, so assume you don't need synscan app

#4 Mike in Rancho

Mike in Rancho

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Alta Loma, CA

Posted 11 April 2021 - 05:47 PM

That's a bummer.  I love the wifi dongle.  One of the best $60-ish I've plunked down for this stuff.  But, I am using 2 PC's and a Galaxy S7.  Sounds like they don't have their Apple app working right.

It works with Stellarium.  It works with PHD2 so guiding is done over my wifi router.  And since my PHD2 and BYN are on different laptops, dither commands are sent over wifi too.

The alignment sharing is pretty cool also, so I can do alignment with the phone out at the telescope to look through the RACI or camera viewscreen, frame the image indoors at my laptop via BYN, then push a couple buttons and send that data to the other laptop where I will start guiding.

The android app reports the PA errors on the main info screen, if I remember right.  Which is the "i" button.  Might need to scroll down.  I actually don't look anymore as I just do a 1-star so that goto works.  I think you need a 2 or 3 star for it to calculate that error figure.

Very handy.  Hopefully they come out with updated apps for the non-PC/Android users.

#5 robodan

robodan

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 April 2021 - 06:10 PM

That's the beauty of the HC, it reports it, instead of trying to flip through menus finding it. Should have been like the HC when doing polar alighment it tells you. It goes through the steps, but fails to give the final result, and think its bad you got to go to main screen and info.

Also while skysafari works and gets you in the ballpark and select an object and goto it, its not aligned, evrn if alighment works perfectly through the synscan app.

The handset also does a lot of things automatically like alighment stars, through the 3 star alighment not so stright forward.

Edited by robodan, 11 April 2021 - 06:14 PM.

#6 Supernova74

Supernova74

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 12 April 2021 - 09:55 AM

Well it’s worth mentioning the HC dial up and scroll menu function is a lot slower than having a live planetarium app like skysafari,skyportal app at your fingertips tips in real time!?even skyportal can be aligned when used with celestrons scopes.especially if your knowledge of the night sky is not up to scratch.gives you a genral better perspective of the night sky and also a lot easier to plan your observing session before hand.

Edited by Supernova74, 12 April 2021 - 09:58 AM.

#7 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 13 April 2021 - 04:51 PM

I had the same issue (#2) with crashing back to the home screen.  See here for the fix.

#8 Supernova74

Supernova74

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 13 April 2021 - 05:15 PM

I had the same issue (#2) with crashing back to the home screen.  See here for the fix.

I personally feel that some manufactures should stick with what thay no best!? And the outcome can be a half baked products, that’s why higher end brands like televue mainly develop and produce eyepieces and a handful of telescopes 

#9 robodan

robodan

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 April 2021 - 05:56 PM

Software wise, have both evolution mount and recently got an EQ6-R PRO mount for imaging evolution mount for visual.

Celestron's software and how skysafari and skyportal go well with these apps is well above Skywatchera clumsy approach, needing 2 or 3 programs just to get it running with wifi is rediculous, and the more apps and programs the more it slows down and bogs down the pc or smartphone.

Celestron here is far superior. Using the hc on both is pretty much on part, but feel even Celestron may just have the slight edge, but very close indeed.

Just feel skywatcher wifi is just not setup that well compared to celestron and poorly done to the point gone back to HC on my Skywatcher.

Even pc wise I feel celestron does it better. The less programs you needcto get the job done the better and faster your pc runs.

Here again skywatcher needs 2 or more programs, at least EQMOD and SkySafari or stellarium just to run the mount on pc.

Celestron one program plaintive or will run with skysafari. One program and this is not counting imaging software, etc, any extra steps slows down your laptop or pc the less you have running in the background the better off your pc is

Edited by robodan, 13 April 2021 - 06:03 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics