•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

So What is a Star Party?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

• topic starter
  • Loc: New Orleans, LA

Posted 11 April 2021 - 03:43 PM

This may sound like a silly question for many reading this, but amateur astronomy, hopefully, is gaining new members all the time and there are some "star party virgins" out there so I thought I would write something to give them a bit more of an idea about what a star party is all about.

Others may feel free to add more to this as appropriate.

So What is a Star Party?

So what is a star party?  Like any other party a star party is the gathering of people for the purpose of having a good time.  Specifically though a star party is geared toward having that good time under the stars and during the daytime having that good time under one particular star, our Sun.

A few star parties had existed for years (Stellafane – 1926 and Riverside – 1969) but star parties did not become common until the 1980’s with the beginnings of the Texas Star Party in the early 80’s and the Winter Star Party in 1984 and Okie-Tex in 1984.  Several others like the Deep South Star Gaze started in 1983 (known early on as the Deep South Regional Star Gaze) were a bit smaller, but grew thru the years.  In the 90’s star parties really exploded in number as attendees at star parties like the few listed above patterned additional star parties closer to home using what they learned at these early star parties to do something similar.  The Deep South Star Gaze can be credited as the “Father” of 3 different star parties as Deep South attendees decided to start their own star parties closer to home; these other events were the Peach State Star Gaze, the Mid South Star Gaze and the Kisatchie Star Party.

Strictly speaking a star party can be as short as one afternoon and one evening under the stars but the larger organized events which are planned literally months or even years in advance take it to a whole other level.  Some of these have had attendances well beyond 100 or so for years.  Some have approached attendances close to or even beyond 1000 at one time or another.  These larger star parties are also held over multiple days and nights with lengths of 5 or more days and nights being common.

So what can a newbie (first time star party attendee) expect?  He or she can expect to have a good time, hopefully under clear and dark skies.  He or she can hope to take their knowledge of the night sky and their ability to use their own observing equipment be it telescope, binoculars or their own eyes to the next level and often beyond.  With or without their own equipment an attendee has the opportunity to see what the night sky looks like thru a variety of instruments.  A star party is a great opportunity to kick the tires, to see what others like to use and why.  He or she can expect to be awed by the night sky, especially if all they know is the mostly light polluted sky common to any large community today.  It is truly fun to listen to those “Night Sky Virgins” wax poetic about all these new wonders of the night sky that they are seeing for the first time in their life.

So use of a telescope under a dark sky is a big, big part of a star party, but that is not all.  For the old timers, myself included, just sitting around on a pleasant day under the shade of a canopy talking to friends is in many ways as much fun as observing at night.  The talk may be about astronomy but many subjects are visited and the time seems to just race by, particularly if the weather is good.  Some attendees may uncover their telescopes to observe the Sun or perhaps a planet that they were able to hunt down during daylight.  Others may be fine tuning their mount or telescope in some way.  Some may have a table set up to display astronomy items that they brought for sale.  A star party is a great place to check out equipment that you are thinking about purchasing and to actually purchase some things at good prices that you have been lucky enough to find.

For others the appeal of certain star parties may be because of the area where it is being held.  There could be people, places and things in the area to go visit.  There could be a day hike, an antique store or a special lunch nearby to help pass a day.  Others may just want to relax.

At many star parties there are programs scheduled as a way for the attendees to learn more about a particular subject with programs being given by local members or nationally recognized speakers.

For many, one of the highlights of a star party is the door prize drawings.  A star party can often be a good way to win valuable prizes.  It might be just a book or a poster or it could be a telescope or good pair of binoculars.

Many who attend star parties will go back to the same one each and every year.  Many who do this will also attend other star parties in other parts of the country.  For these, the Star Party Bug has really hit them.

Hopefully I have swayed some into giving a star party some consideration.  For those who are now excited about the prospect – the Deep South Spring Scrimmage begins on Tuesday May 4th and runs to Sunday morning, May 9th of this year.  There is no mandate to attend for all days and nights, one nice day and clear night should be enough to bring you back year after year.

Barry Simon

Edited by BarrySimon615, 11 April 2021 - 04:05 PM.

• Couder, SNH, Augustus and 1 other like this

#2 Couder

Couder

Viking 1

• Loc: Mansfield, Missouri in the Ozarks

Posted 11 April 2021 - 03:58 PM

You kind of hinted at it, but I encourage people to go to a star party to actually look through different scopes, ask the owners what they like and dislike about them. They start to get an idea of what they might want to either buy, or maybe go to a second star party and compare again under different sky conditions and different people with different likes and dislikes. They may change their minds, from wanting one kind of scope to another. Much cheaper to look through some first than to buy and not like.

• Augustus, donstar and DSOGabe like this

#3 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• Loc: Stamford, Connecticut

Posted 11 April 2021 - 04:00 PM

IMO, it's pretty simple:

Any group of people sharing views through telescopes anywhere, for any reason, is a star party.

An organized event happening at a preplanned venue at something at least resembling a dark site is a Star Party.

• Bill Jensen likes this

#4 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

• topic starter

Posted 11 April 2021 - 04:08 PM

You kind of hinted at it, but I encourage people to go to a star party to actually look through different scopes, ask the owners what they like and dislike about them. They start to get an idea of what they might want to either buy, or maybe go to a second star party and compare again under different sky conditions and different people with different likes and dislikes. They may change their minds, from wanting one kind of scope to another. Much cheaper to look through some first than to buy and not like.

Couder - Thanks!  I should have added that.  I amended my original post to add that - others do get the opportunity to "kick the tires" so to speak and see what other instruments can do and what their owners like or dislike about what they are using.  Advantages and disadvantages and all that.

Thanks again!

Barry

• Augustus likes this

#5 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 12 April 2021 - 04:52 AM

A star party is a place to relax, get away from the stresses of home, work, life for a few days;  meet old friends and make new ones; enjoy nature- the peace and quiet around you, and  the beauty of the sky darker the most have at home.  A time to think.

edj

Edited by edwincjones, 12 April 2021 - 05:05 AM.

• Bill Jensen, BFaucett and reddog1972 like this

#6 WadeH237

WadeH237

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Ellensburg, WA

Posted 12 April 2021 - 09:31 AM

A star party is a place to relax, get away from the stresses of home, work, life for a few days;  meet old friends and make new ones; enjoy nature- the peace and quiet around you, and  the beauty of the sky darker the most have at home.  A time to think.

Nailed it!

• Bill Jensen likes this

#7 gwfbmd

gwfbmd

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: DC

Posted 13 April 2021 - 08:45 PM

And don't forget your RED flashlight!

• donstar likes this

#8 City Kid

City Kid

Soyuz

• Loc: Northern Indiana

Posted 14 April 2021 - 08:31 AM

Make that a DIM red flashlight!

• bunyon, kfiscus and donstar like this

#9 The Planetman

The Planetman

Viking 1

• Loc: Western KY

Posted 18 April 2021 - 09:44 AM

edj

In addition to what Ed has listed, I've always say that clear skies are an added bonus! 

#10 iam1ru12

iam1ru12

Viking 1

• Loc: Raleigh/Durham, NC

Posted 22 April 2021 - 09:23 PM

Remember, a cloudy night at a star party is better than a clear day at work!

• jcastarz likes this

#11 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

• topic starter

Posted 22 April 2021 - 10:23 PM

That can be true!  On a cloudy night at a star party you can watch "Mars Attacks".  Ack! Ack!  You cannot do that at work.

Barry Simon

#12 kfiscus

kfiscus

Fly Me to the Moon

• Vendors
  • Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 26 April 2021 - 08:30 PM

I always take my Sky&Telescope edition of Monopoly, just in case of clouds.

#13 Starman47

Starman47

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: West of OZ

Posted 28 April 2021 - 03:13 PM

My personal definition of a star party: a group of people who stand out in a field at night and look up (with telescopes, binoculars or naked eye) , while getting covered in dew and eaten by mosquitoes. Then we all go to bed much later than our normal time. The next day we get up and say, that was fun. Let's do it again tonight.

• The Planetman likes this

#14 t_image

t_image

Gemini

• -----

Posted 28 April 2021 - 06:46 PM

So someone needs to do a pro video of what it is like in the major ones.

Here's a brilliantly done 6 min. story of a youth camp that then joins part of the Oregon Star Party.

https://vimeo.com/180637962

another of the previous year 3 min:

https://vimeo.com/136955601

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics