•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Equipment Case Foam

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Dallas Area, Texas

Posted 11 April 2021 - 07:08 PM

I've got an AT60ED coming soon and want to consolidate things into a single travel case.  I have a Pelican 1510 carry-on size case that's the perfect size for it, but it doesn't have any foam inside.

I think the best option for this is Kaizen foam.  It's dense and can be cut precisely with a box knife.  The other option is to buy a Pelican foam insert specifically for the 1510 but it's less dense and is the pre-cut cube foam that you pull apart to form the shape you want.  I will be shadowing the scope, astro cam, power supply, and a star tracker mount so they are held securely inside the case.

Wondering if anyone on here has experience purpose-building a case for a scope and shadowing the foam.  I got the idea from Milwaukee pack-out kits for carpenters, which use Kaizen foam.

Thanks

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#2 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 11 April 2021 - 07:39 PM

I agree that Kaizen foam is tops. I've used a long list of contenders and have settled on it for whatever I may need in the future. I have a new Pelican Vault case that came foamed. I'm using that foam for now and when I get the configuration proven and set I'll order some Kaizen foam for the permanent setup.

One thing I have found effective is a fingerhole tool. They use heat to make perfect fingerholes. They're ~cheap and you can build one for a couple of bucks. It's basically an 8" piece of copper pipe set in a 2x2" board handle.

• Jon Isaacs and matt_astro_tx like this

#3 fishonkevin

fishonkevin

Vanguard

• Loc: Michigan

Posted 13 April 2021 - 06:23 AM

2nd Kaizen Foam.   https://kaizeninserts.com/

• EmeraldHills likes this

#4 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 April 2021 - 07:05 AM

Dude thanks for sharing that link.  I've been looking in vein for a polyethylene foam insert for my 1510 case.  They've got it for $40.  Brilliant.

#5 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 April 2021 - 02:02 PM

Got my kaizen insert for the Pelican 1510 yesterday.  Now before I cut into it I have a question:  How much should I break down my equipment inside the case?  I'll be packing

AT60ED with ATRF attached

ASI183MC with 55mm of spacers attached

ASIAir

Dew Heater

Various Cables for the OTA

---

SA2i

SA2i counterweight

SA2i declination bracket

Barlow

12v power brick

Various interface cables

30mm guidescope (future)

ASI290MM-Mini (future)

Everything listed above the line is part of the OTA assembly and I could make the cutout for it all being attached to the scope.  I suppose this would be less practical for future growth if I change configurations later.  But if I did go this route, is it advisable?  Anyone with experience making their own cutouts for a packout case who can offer advice?

#6 trurl

trurl

Hubble

• Loc: North Carolina

Posted 28 April 2021 - 12:29 PM

A little late to this thread and it's been a while since I did this, but I found I could save a lot of the shipping cost by ordering this from Home Depot and picking it up at the store. 

#7 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 April 2021 - 01:58 PM

A little late to this thread and it's been a while since I did this, but I found I could save a lot of the shipping cost by ordering this from Home Depot and picking it up at the store. 

Bummer!  Yeah shipping was $12!  Almost half the price of the foam.

Do you have a picture of your case and how it's laid out?  I hope to do my cutting of the foam this weekend.

#8 Wintersun

Wintersun

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Elkhorn CA

Posted 28 April 2021 - 08:59 PM

The cut foam is fine until you change items or add items to it. Although more expensive I prefer using the padded dividers. The ones for the Pelican have yellow cloth which makes it a lot easier to see what is inside each space.

The standard Pelican cases are heavy and the 1510 weighs 12 lbs when completely empty and nearly 14 lbs with foam.

#9 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 April 2021 - 10:00 AM

The cut foam is fine until you change items or add items to it. Although more expensive I prefer using the padded dividers. The ones for the Pelican have yellow cloth which makes it a lot easier to see what is inside each space.

The standard Pelican cases are heavy and the 1510 weighs 12 lbs when completely empty and nearly 14 lbs with foam.

Yeah it's a heavy case for sure.  But I already own it and it's waterproof, carryon size, and has a handle and wheels.  Pretty sweet little package to be honest.

Fortunately they don't weigh carry-ons!

I'll post an update after I cut and populate the case this weekend.  I've decided to compartment all the pieces separately.

#10 GGK

GGK

Mariner 2

• Loc: SouthWest Florida

Posted 29 April 2021 - 12:09 PM

The Foam Factory at Foambymail.com is also a good source..

The 1.7 pound polyethylene foam is what was used in my mount shipping box. I use that in Pelican Air and Pelican Storm cases for all of my equipment. I work directly out of these when viewing as well. Expensive but very convenient to use, very well protected, takes the weight with no problem, and is nearly indestructible. The foam cuts easily and accurately with a scalloped bread knife.

I posted a pic of my mount case in this thread if you want to see what the foam looks like:  https://www.cloudyni...nd-travel-case/.

(Edit: added the link)

Edited by GGK, 29 April 2021 - 01:52 PM.

• matt_astro_tx likes this

#11 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 May 2021 - 07:06 PM

I finally finished cutting the kaizen foam I ordered for the pelican 1510. Turned out halfway decent. Now it’ll be protected from little hands when not in use. And I can travel with it. Thanks everyone for the advice. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 4C2EE411-6EC4-4D32-AFE3-2040F80B0635.jpeg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics