•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New laptop, help with installation of programs

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 hornjs

hornjs

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Billings, MT

Posted 11 April 2021 - 07:12 PM

Hey all I have been using Asi Air Pro, but have been watching all the livestreams and such of SharpCap and wanted to give it a go with my new laptop.  For reference this has a 500gb SSD and a 1TB HDD.  Couple questions on installation etc I'm sure these are dumb to those experienced.  Mostly I want to try this for a couple reasons....Want a different autofocus routine or a couple options, as I am not getting crisp focus in AAP.  Also wanted to do sigma clip on the livestack as I am getting lots of satellites recently (AAP doesn't have a way to eliminate subs as far as I know).   

1)  Where do I put all these programs....SSD is faster I know, but more room on HDD.

2)  Do I need just ONE zwo camera driver, or one instance for each camera?   Does this get installed in the same physical location as the sharpcap (SSD vs HDD)

3)  I need ASCOM and EQASCOM drivers or programs correct (eq6r-pro mount)?  Again, does these go in the same place as others?

4)  Then I will need phd2 and some form of polar alignment i suppose (I realize SCP has a polar alignment built in and $10 is a good deal)

5)  All the items on the scope can connect to a powered USB3 hub, and then single USB3 cable to the laptop?  I won't be doing a scope side NUC unless this setup is way better than what I am currently doing

6)  ZWO site says no need for driver for the EAF, not sure if anyone had other experience. 

Thanks, any other tips on getting running would be helpful.  Watched a recent video on Cuiv setting up a nuc.  That got me going in right direction. 

#2 descott12

descott12

Gemini

• Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 11 April 2021 - 07:32 PM

1. Put your programs on the HDD and just use the SSD for your captured data

2. There is a single ASI driver for all their cameras. It is very simple

3. You need the ASCOM framework and EQASCOM

4. phd2 is only needed for guiding. Definitely not needed for EAA, especially to start. Sharp Cap Pro has the best polar alignment tool. Well worth the few dollars and we really need to support the developers that we rely on for this hobby.

5. Yes, that should work. The EAF is USB2 and some cameras may be USB2 as well.

6. Yes, if I remember correctly, it just works.

• Steve Cox, dcweaver and hornjs like this

#3 hornjs

hornjs

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Billings, MT

Posted 11 April 2021 - 08:08 PM

Awesome, thanks for the quick reply descott12!

#4 astrohamp

astrohamp

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 09:00 PM

Many programs will load onto the system disk by default.  I'm guessing your SSD would be the system disk.  In this way start up is quick and any routine access of the program would be faster then from HDD.  This is what my desk top is doing, although I have two other SSD drives for swap files and temporary workspace.  The two internal 'data' hard drives are spin disk, along with those I plug into the disk drawer bay or external esata docking station.

If you must have more speed, trade up to a second 500G /1-2TB SSD and use the removed spin disk for archive storage.

• hornjs likes this

#5 descott12

descott12

Gemini

• Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 11 April 2021 - 09:30 PM

Many programs will load onto the system disk by default.  I'm guessing your SSD would be the system disk. 

Yes, that is probably true so you may not have a choice about where to install the programs but they don't take up much space anyway. It is the data that can get big.

• GazingOli and hornjs like this

#6 dcweaver

dcweaver

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Silicon Valley

Posted 11 April 2021 - 09:47 PM

Great comments by all.

I only have SDD so it made the choice easy.  Since you have a choice, I like Dave's suggestion about keeping the programs resident on the HDD and saving the SDD for captured data.  With regard to which folder to keep individual programs and drivers in, I kept the zip files and downloads in a dedicated folder so I could install them again if needed.  During installation, I let the installer decide where to put things.  It knows what it wants better than I do e.g. C:\Program Files or Program Files (x86).  When it was installed, everything seemed to be in a place that made sense.  There is one place that you have to "unhide" to be able to see (C:\Users\username\AppData).  A lot of stuff gets squirreled away there by the installer.

BTW - PhD2 might have a polar alignment routine also.

• hornjs likes this

#7 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Skylab

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 12 April 2021 - 12:45 AM

I hate to be contrary, but I would load/save everything onto SSD for fastest everything! However....

At the end of any session (or periodically), I would "cut and paste" my evenings capture folder from SSD and move it to HDD. Hence cleaning up the SSD later. By this route, your applications are writing to your fastest storage location when speed mattters most (live stacking). You can always find these again in Sharpcap Folder Monitor Camera via Browse.

Sharpcap by default also creates a folder on your Desktop where it stores captures. Unless Windows has changed, I believe this can slow down the speed of booting up of your Desktop. In some respects I like the ease of this location, but I routinely clean up my capture folders post session to reduce any such lag.

In summary, use your SSD as your live drive, and your HDD for your archive.
  • GazingOli, dcweaver and hornjs like this

#8 dcweaver

dcweaver

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Silicon Valley

Posted 12 April 2021 - 12:51 AM

No worries.  Nothing contrary about it.  Sounds like a reasonable approach.  I do much the same since I only have SDD.  The archive in my case is "the cloud".  Although I'm not always good about cleaning up the SharpCap folder after a session undecided.gif

• hornjs likes this

#9 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 12 April 2021 - 08:08 AM

Moving from EAA to Astronomy Software & Computers for a better fit.

• hornjs likes this

#10 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Aurora

• ****-
  • Loc: Waltham, MA

Posted 12 April 2021 - 08:26 PM

1. Put your programs on the HDD and just use the SSD for your captured data

2. There is a single ASI driver for all their cameras. It is very simple

3. You need the ASCOM framework and EQASCOM

4. phd2 is only needed for guiding. Definitely not needed for EAA, especially to start. Sharp Cap Pro has the best polar alignment tool. Well worth the few dollars and we really need to support the developers that we rely on for this hobby.

5. Yes, that should work. The EAF is USB2 and some cameras may be USB2 as well.

6. Yes, if I remember correctly, it just works.

I needed to download a special driver to get my EAF and EFW to work in my setup, because SharpCap would not recognize it on my laptop. Sounds crazy, I know.

#11 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Skylab

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 13 April 2021 - 12:49 AM

I needed to download a special driver to get my EAF and EFW to work in my setup, because SharpCap would not recognize it on my laptop. Sounds crazy, I know.

Not crazy at all when you consider the breadth of equipment that Sharpcap supports. Author Robin Glover is a one man band. It is a miracle that he keeps up with so many new cameras and kit as well as he does. ASCOM should assist, but camera vendors quite often get this wrong at first attempt as they have the reverse problem of no knowledge of Sharpcap. This might become even more challenging as ZWO is steering owners into its own software, as Atik did before, as this locks customers into one manufacturer. Independent software writers then become even more dependent on ASCOM. What if camera manufacturers only produce native drivers? Sharpcap is fantastic, but I fear it might become vulnerable if ZWO and others more aggressively were to pursue this support only their own software brand strategy.

Edited by Noah4x4, 13 April 2021 - 12:50 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics