•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Another process my image thread

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 charlieb123

charlieb123

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: New York

Posted 11 April 2021 - 07:16 PM

Hi,

I'm hoping someone with some skills would attempt to process my last image of the Whirlpool Galaxy.

I know there must be more there than what I've come up with. I can see some faint dust coming off the arms that I can't seem to extract without compressing the image too much. Maybe I shouldn't expect much considering its just 1.5 hours of data.

It's been stacked with DSS and I'm skeptical that I've processed darks, lights and offsets properly.

45 frames totaling 1.5hrs

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

My menial attempt with photoshop.

whirlpool_quick2.jpg

Edited by charlieb123, 11 April 2021 - 07:19 PM.

#2 TXLS99

TXLS99

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Midwest USA

Posted 12 April 2021 - 04:21 AM

I had a quick go at it with Pixinsight. Wasn't able to get much color out of it. Not sure why that is. I'm still too new and cant really troubleshoot what would cause that. Hopefully some more experienced members will chime in.

It could be a stacking issue, not sure though. I did notice that there are still dust spots showing up on the stacked tif file. Did you not use flats? I see you stated darks and bias with the lights.

M51

#3 Tapio

Tapio

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 12 April 2021 - 04:38 AM

I think your biggest problem is missing calibration files, and exposure.

Attached Thumbnails

• whirpool_cb123.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics