•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Processing full spectrum images

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 hefyjefy

hefyjefy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: California Central Coast

Posted 11 April 2021 - 08:13 PM

Current setup is:

Orion ED80T CF Triplet APO (f/6 480mm)
Orion Sirius EQ-G mount.
Orion 60mm Guide Scope with Webcam
Orion Off Axis Starshoot Auto Guider.
Canon 100D SL1 DSLR (Full Spectrum, cooled)
Remote focusser (analog)
PHD2
BYE v3.1
Baader UV/IR filter.
Stellarium with EQMOD and EQdirect.
Processing in Siril v996 or DSS and Photoshop

I have had some nice images using this setup but mostly lets say "easier" bright, colorful targets, (M31,M42, Flame, California, Bode/Cigar etc) now moving to more difficult images I am finding that the results are rather colorless.  Attempting to bring out any color in processing results in everything looking rather red or brown tinted, a result I suppose, of the missing IR filter in the camera.

Is there anything that might help?  Maybe a different filter?  Or is this simply a limitation of the setup or possibly my location (Bortle 4)?

Geoff

#2 asanmax

asanmax

Vendor - DSLR Modifications

• Vendors
  • Loc: Vancouver BC

Posted 13 April 2021 - 01:58 PM

DSS is known to produce some colorless stacks. I would typically work on the channels individually because I use a full spectrum modded camera as well.

When the image is color balanced, you may want to play with the saturation settings.

Edited by asanmax, 13 April 2021 - 01:58 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics