•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CGX mount to tripod getting stuck

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Napster

Napster

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 April 2021 - 08:59 PM

Hi all, is it a common issue for it to be difficult to slide the CGX mount on the CGX tripod? Of the 4 times I have tried it has only gone on nice 1 time. It got so stuck tonight I had to flip the tripod over and put the mount on the dirt and lift with all my strength to get them apart. I am trying to be super careful when I put the mount on the tripod but it does not want to go.

#2 scopewizard

scopewizard

Messenger

• Loc: Alberta, Canada

Posted 11 April 2021 - 09:15 PM

I have a CGX and tripod. I have never had an issue putting it together. Something is not right somewhere on yours. Mine fit on the tripod with a slight looseness. I can rotate it if needed with no binding what so ever.

#3 Dynan

Dynan

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 11 April 2021 - 09:23 PM

Clean the underside of the mount with emery cloth. Possibly the tripod male also...and don't be timid. A very (very) slight slick of good grease may help also. It worked for me.

#4 Napster

Napster

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 April 2021 - 09:30 PM

I was trying to avoid grease because I don’t want to worry about where I set the mount down in my house. I am going to give it a few more try’s before I start sanding down the metal. Hoping to avoid that too because I would then want to try to spray it so it does not rust.

#5 mabeard

mabeard

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 April 2021 - 09:53 PM

I had this problem. Turns out there was a small factory sticker that got all chewed up. I to a scrubby sponge for washing dishes to the connecting parts of the tri pod and mount. Have not had a problem since

#6 Astrosid

Astrosid

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 11 April 2021 - 09:54 PM

Take a bar of Ivory soap and liberally rub mount and tripod.  This will act as a lubricant without the grease.   I lube mine up about every six months.  Makes precisely adjusting RA frictionless.

• Dynan likes this

#7 Dynan

Dynan

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 12 April 2021 - 01:38 AM

It's aluminum. It won't rust.

The soap treatment is a great idea.

#8 skaiser

skaiser

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: dallas Texas

Posted 12 April 2021 - 04:29 PM

As mentioned, once you have the mount on the tripod, check that it will rotate freely.

if it’s tight , take a narrow piece of paper and run it around the interface between the mount and tripod to identify if there is a particular tight spot.

Check the lip of the mount to make sure there is not a burr or sharp edge . 
it should be radiused slightly to allow an easy slip on to the tripod.

make sure the screw clearance holes in the mount don’t have burrs or raised lip on the inside.

take care

#9 Napster

Napster

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 April 2021 - 05:44 PM

Is there any reason I could not just leave that part of the mount on the tripod and remove the 4 bolts from the mount that you tighten down after you polar align?

#10 skaiser

skaiser

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: dallas Texas

Posted 13 April 2021 - 10:43 AM

As a matter of fact, I leave the head on the mount all the time while using the cgx at home.

yes, it is a bit of a load to carry, but saves some setup time and encourages me to stay in shape so I can carry it.

only time I break it down is for trips to dark sites.

#11 Seiten

Seiten

Vostok 1

• Loc: Huntsville, AL 35763

Posted 14 April 2021 - 08:39 AM

I had this exact same problem with my second hand CGX. The fella I bought it from warned me how hard it was to remove and how hard it was to put back on. There were no stickers or anything foreign, it was simply a bad fit between the casting on the mount and the tripod interface.

I'm now so happy I took the hour or so to get a series of different grain sandpapers and sand it down. I got it to where with just a little twist and spin, the mount comes right off. I applied a thin level of grease to make it even more agreeable.

I had no unintended consequences from this alteration. And the angst I had from the notion of removing the mount is gone. I was actually scared to remove the mount prior to the sanding.
  • Dynan and mlord like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics