•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Alignment/Collimation of Canon 15x45s

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gdjsky01

gdjsky01

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 11 April 2021 - 09:48 PM

This one is: One tough google. 

I have seen, Canon end of life these binos long ago. Understandable.

I am seeing double stars (lol) no matter how I adjust the pupil distance.

This seems to only be an issue with stars. During the day looking at distant aerials etc... I don't see it.

Since there is no Canon solution, I think I have nothing to lose.

Anyone know how to adjust the prisms?

Clear skies!

Jeff

#2 kcl31

kcl31

Mariner 2

• Loc: San Jose CA

Posted 13 April 2021 - 11:05 PM

Hi Jeff,

I happens to fully disassembled a broken 15x45 UD before. Here are some photos of it after disassembly.

The SP prism is mounted in the eyepiece turret, and there seems no adjustment screw to adjust the alignment. The objective lens are fixed on the body with 3 screws and they are not moving, so I guess it might be possible to add shims under those mounting screws to adjust the collimation.

Hope it helps.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC08836.jpg
  • DSC08842.jpg

• ihf likes this

#3 spectral532

spectral532

Lift Off

Posted 14 April 2021 - 12:52 AM

If you want them professionally serviced, consider checking out videocamrepair.com. They specialize in Canon IS binocular repair and specifically call out the 15x45 as one of the models they fix.

https://www.videocam...nocular-repair/

In the past I sold two pairs of damaged Canon IS binoculars to another member in "as-is" condition. One had been dropped and was badly out of collimation and had a cracked housing, and the other had a jittery stabilizer. Videocamrepair was able to successfully repair both.

#4 gdjsky01

gdjsky01

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 20 April 2021 - 03:38 PM

Hi Jeff,

I happens to fully disassembled a broken 15x45 UD before. Here are some photos of it after disassembly.

The SP prism is mounted in the eyepiece turret, and there seems no adjustment screw to adjust the alignment. The objective lens are fixed on the body with 3 screws and they are not moving, so I guess it might be possible to add shims under those mounting screws to adjust the collimation.

Hope it helps.

Do you have a description of getting the eyepiece assembly off? Or how to get at the objectives?

Thank you for the response!!!

Edited by gdjsky01, 20 April 2021 - 05:04 PM.

#5 gdjsky01

gdjsky01

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 20 April 2021 - 03:39 PM

If you want them professionally serviced, consider checking out videocamrepair.com. They specialize in Canon IS binocular repair and specifically call out the 15x45 as one of the models they fix.

https://www.videocam...nocular-repair/

In the past I sold two pairs of damaged Canon IS binoculars to another member in "as-is" condition. One had been dropped and was badly out of collimation and had a cracked housing, and the other had a jittery stabilizer. Videocamrepair was able to successfully repair both.

Thank you! I will look into this!

Edit: I did. They want $209 dollars. Still give the prices of used one, or any IS binos... it might be worth it.

Edited by gdjsky01, 20 April 2021 - 05:05 PM.

• spectral532 likes this

#6 kcl31

kcl31

Mariner 2

• Loc: San Jose CA

Posted 03 May 2021 - 01:53 PM

Do you have a description of getting the eyepiece assembly off? Or how to get at the objectives?

Thank you for the response!!!

Sorry I just saw your reply...

You will need to start with removing the rubber armor outside the binoculars, then you will be able to see all the screws that hold the binoculars together. The binoculars are basically three part, 1) the objective cover; 2) the main body that has battery holder, PCBs and IS unit and the mounting of objective lenses; 3) and the rear cover that holds the two eyepieces and focusing mechanism.

The second photo I shared is the main body part.

Hope that helps.

Edited by kcl31, 03 May 2021 - 01:55 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics