•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Rocker box COG

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 spaceoddity

spaceoddity

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Cloudsylvania

Posted 11 April 2021 - 09:59 PM

I'm looking to order an EQ platform for my truss dob and need to find the center of gravity of the rocker box. Can someone explain this to me clearly? I've read the procedure and looked at the geometrical type drawings and I just don't get it. For starters, how the heck are you supposed to balance the rocker box sideways on a broom handle? Sounds like a magic trick to me. crazy.gif   

#2 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Soyuz

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 12 April 2021 - 08:24 AM

It isn’t just the rocker box you want the CG of, it is the scope in the rocker box.  I think just taking an inch or two off the height of the center of the altitude bearing to account for the weight of the rocker is close enough.

Dave

• Jon Isaacs and spaceoddity like this

#3 spaceoddity

spaceoddity

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Cloudsylvania

Posted 14 April 2021 - 05:54 PM

It isn’t just the rocker box you want the CG of, it is the scope in the rocker box.  I think just taking an inch or two off the height of the center of the altitude bearing to account for the weight of the rocker is close enough.

Dave

OK, the procedure of putting the rocker box and ground board on their side and balancing on a broom handle makes no sense to me. confused1.gif  I'll just take an inch and a half off the CG of the scope(center of alt bearing) and hopefully that will work.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics