•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

In the Cone zone with LOTS of stars

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Lead_Weight

Lead_Weight

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Houston

Posted 11 April 2021 - 11:11 PM

Got to visit our local astronomy club’s dark site for the first time. I took my smaller travel setup to keep things easy for this visit. My target was the Cone nebula and IC 2169, but I didn't frame it correctly. My first time using the ASIAir to try and move the scope around to get both objects in the frame but with no object overlay I couldn't tell the orientation from my short test shots. Anyhow, still got the cone in there, and a few smaller objects. Happy with the results.

Since this target is in the Milky Way, it's already past the meridian where I live, I only had a few hours of imaging. In fact, this is just 88 minutes total (44 120s frames) before I had to close up shop and leave the site at the 12am light window. My back doesn't agree with sleeping in the car, and my target was at the horizon by then.

The process was straight forward (for me). Stack, calibrate, align, and color correct in Astro Pixel Processor. Then stretch, de-noise, saturation, star mask for morphological transformation (shrink stars) + more stretch of the nebula in PixInsight. Additional color saturation and levels in Photoshop to finish it off.

There's a bonus photo on Astrobin of the setup. Redcat, ASI2600MC-Pro, RST-135.

get.jpg?insecure

• buckeyestargazer, elmiko, BenKolt and 8 others like this

#2 Hobby Astronomer

Hobby Astronomer

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Texas

Posted 12 April 2021 - 08:14 AM

Nice image in a short amount of time. Excellent.

HA

• Lead_Weight likes this

#3 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 12 April 2021 - 09:54 AM

Nice job! Color came out great.

• Lead_Weight likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics