•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

I do not understand

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 aorion314

aorion314

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Elk Grove Ca

Posted 11 April 2021 - 11:34 PM

aorion314 here, there is an ES ED127 being offered for sale my question to all is ?? what effect does a spacer have on this telescope which needs to a require a spacer, per the seller helps to achieve focus. MY understanding of refractors is that there is focal point which allows one to see a coherent image, ??? is this a failure of the scopes design or some esoteric mechanism that I am unaware of, or what ? Any optical input from any CN'er would be appreciated, respectfully submitted.  PS  Dear CSA/Montana (moderator), since you often read and make changes/moves to my posts please be so kind as kind as to move this post/topic to where you think is a better match than equipment forum.

#2 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 11 April 2021 - 11:46 PM

aorion314 here, there is an ES ED127 being offered for sale my question to all is ?? what effect does a spacer have on this telescope which needs to a require a spacer, per the seller helps to achieve focus. MY understanding of refractors is that there is focal point which allows one to see a coherent image, ??? is this a failure of the scopes design or some esoteric mechanism that I am unaware of, or what ? Any optical input from any CN'er would be appreciated, respectfully submitted.  PS  Dear CSA/Montana (moderator), since you often read and make changes/moves to my posts please be so kind as kind as to move this post/topic to where you think is a better match than equipment forum.

Modern refractors are designed for visual use and imaging. Due to the imaging camera’s back-focus requirements, many refractors are made with shorter tubes to allow for more inward focus, thus sometimes requiring a focus tube extender to allow eyepieces to come to focus. My preference is to have a larger focuser that has more travel, not requiring the extension tube for imaging and visual.

That scope needs a substantial mount. What do you have in mind for it?

#3 vio

vio

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Naples, FL

Posted 12 April 2021 - 07:45 AM

The telescope is just one part of the imaging path, other devices also play a role in whether you can achieve the focus or not. You can use a 1.25” or 2” diagonal, different eyepieces, imaging with different cameras, maybe an on/off axis guider, possibly filters on a filter wheel. All these take space, the manufacturer may not know how you use the scope. The opposite, while convenient, may prescribe which accessories can be used.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • PatrickVt likes this

#4 airbleeder

airbleeder

Vanguard

• Loc: Powder Springs, Georgia

Posted 12 April 2021 - 08:30 AM

The opposite of what?

#5 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 12 April 2021 - 08:44 AM

The "spacer" is just an extension tube, a common accessory.

• PatrickVt likes this

#6 Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

Vanguard

Posted 12 April 2021 - 08:50 AM

ES ships two extension tubes with thier ES scopes. You use one for visual and two for imaging.

• wrvond likes this

#7 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 12 April 2021 - 09:28 AM

ES ships two extension tubes with thier ES scopes. You use one for visual and two for imaging.

It can also facilitate the use of binoviewers.

Jon

• wrvond and PatrickVt like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics