•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mount tripod leg how do you stop them slippibg on EQ6

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 robodan

robodan

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 April 2021 - 12:35 AM

While I like my recently EQ6-R PRO I level mount fine, but whrn scope goes on, the legs slide down even though tight, then have to re level by putting level on eyepiece tray. Mind you I have the weight over the front leg rather than how it comes with dowel between legs

Not comfortable with having the weight between the legs as its more likely to topple with a heavy scope

#2 ravenhawk82

ravenhawk82

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 12 April 2021 - 12:49 AM

Just how tight are the leg locks? I've never had this problem with my Atlas (EQ6 clone). I leveled it last winter, cranked the locks down hard, and marked where on my drive way each of the legs are. Ever since I've just been aligning the legs to the marks and setting the mount atop. If merely putting your scope on the mount is causing your leg locks to slip they either aren't tight enough or something is jammed in them preventing them from tightening.

#3 robodan

robodan

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 April 2021 - 12:52 AM

That maybe the case, maybe not cranking them enough?

#4 JG-42N

JG-42N

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Iowa

Posted 12 April 2021 - 01:37 AM

You might want to check the ends of the locking screws. On my Orion Sirius (EQ5), they were angled a bit, causing them to stop turning before they were really tight against the inner leg. I touched them up with a file & it made a big difference.

#5 robodan

robodan

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 April 2021 - 01:40 AM

Or I may put a bit of Vaseline on the treads also

#6 robodan

robodan

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 April 2021 - 01:42 AM

They seem to be holding now, readjusted and retighed them with full weight of telescope, but will lub the bolts

#7 sg6

sg6

Voyager 1

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 12 April 2021 - 03:14 AM

The "grip" mechanism is rather simply that the screw on the outside pushes against a steel "bar" that pushes on the leg.

The bar is something like 4cm long,1cm wide and 4mm thick, and mine basically rusted a bit. Mine jammed more then slipped. The bar is held poorly in a small sort of frame. Basically just something for the bar to slip into while it is assembled

2 of them released OK, one wouldn't but did eventually after a couple of applications of gentle work on it. Hitting it or heating it to red hot is not a good idea. Which are the classic mechanical solutions.

At reassembly I replaced all 3 with brass insert, that I cut slightly shorter (brass bar from B&Q here) - seem to recall the originals looked, or were, a little too long. Have the memory they wouldn't always sit flat. Believe me the bar is just a chopped piece of what could be considered the right shape steel bar, almost any old piece.

Trouble is that it is not a 10 minute job, or even 10 minutes per leg.

#8 Brainebula

Brainebula

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 12 April 2021 - 05:39 AM

I need to tighten all three leg bolts past their verticle position on that tripod before I feel like the legs are secure enough to not slip during a 4 hr session. Since they're steel and not aluminum it's a lot less likely the legs will deform when tightening those bolts by hand, but I would be very careful if using a tool to tighten them. I've had my mount w/5' Mak installed on that tripod for hundreds of hours, it never slips, and I see zero scuff marks on any leg.  

I've read a few comments in CN Forums expressing concern that extending the legs too long will make the mount unstable. I always extend all legs as far as possible and then only shorten 1 or 2 legs just to level the mount, and I've never seem any instability whatsoever when I look through the polar scope. In fact, I need to press the mount very hard before I see the slightest sign of drift between the reticle and the star field. I can't imagine what kind of stress would occur with a normal rig that would cause any drift in that mount. 

Regarding whether the dowel is in the front (toward the pole) or rear, it's more likely the rig will topple the shorter the legs are. Those legs have an unusually wide splay angle, and so you need to have an enormous rig on that tripod to move the center of gravity that far off center, even when the legs are not extended that far (I dare anyone to press that mount sidways hard enough to topple that tripod). And with the single leg toward the pole, it's a LOT easier to view through the polar scope between the rear legs to assure proper alignment. 

That tripod is a beast.

Regarding leveling the mount. I only use the small built-in bubble. Leveling the top plate of the tripod or the accessory tray does not reflect the level of the mount itself and you will likely find that the mount's built-in bubble is not level if you only use the tripod to determine the level position. To level the built-in bubble, I view it from 2 perpendicular views (e.g., side and rear) while adjusting the legs which seems to be enough to accurately level the mount. FYI, I find that leveling the accessory plate is far less accurate than leveling the tripod's top plate, but even using that plate is always off level compared to using the mount's built-in bubble. But your mileage may vary. 

Edited by Brainebula, 12 April 2021 - 06:50 AM.

#9 Rich V.

Rich V.

Cosmos

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 12 April 2021 - 04:19 PM

If you're concerned about leg slippage, just put a stainless steel hose clamp around the lower leg right under the existing leg clamp.  A couple turns on the hose clamp screw with a nut driver will guarantee that your legs won't ever slip.  Great insurance.

Rich

#10 robodan

robodan

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 April 2021 - 03:50 PM

I fixed the problem seems Vaseline on the leg bolts worked wonders and did the trick

Edited by robodan, 13 April 2021 - 03:51 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics