•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SVBONY SV503 70ED f6 w/ DSLR too heavy/long for Star Adventurer?

Equipment Beginner Astrophotography DSLR Refractor
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MacSkiller

MacSkiller

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 April 2021 - 12:39 AM

Hi!  Brand new to this forum, and noob astrophotographer wannab.  Apologies in advance for my mistakes, etc.!  Please point me in the right direction if my question(s) would be best posted elsewhere.

I have a Canon 80D camera, a couple kit lenses, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS STM and EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS STM along with an EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM.  I also have a Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer 2i Pro Pack (Star Adv.).  I’d like a lens/telescope that can get better/close pictures of nebulae, galaxies, etc., and maybe even planets than my 55-250mm lens.

I’m wanting to buy a SVBONY SV503 70ED f6 (70ED) telescope from Amazon.  Why Amazon?  Because right now I don’t have cash or other credit, but I do have some Amazon credit.  Here's a link to the scope:

https://www.amazon.c...18205374&sr=8-1

Question #1:  Is the 70ED going to end up being too heavy and too long for the Star Adv.?  My camera body with battery weighs 1.61lbs.  If the information I’ve obtained is correct, the 70ED weighs 4.89lbs, and I'm told that does include the mounting tube rings, dovetail mounting plate and 2”-1.25” adapter.  (I wonder if that's actually  correct as the description on Amazon shows a 'tube weight' of 2.22kg (4.89lbs), and an item weight of 7.38lbs under 'product information'.)  That adds up to a total of 6.5lbs, which is 59% of the 11lb max load capacity of the Star Adv., so I’m thinking I should be fine where the weight is concerned.  Would you agree?  (If the actual total weight of the tube, rings, plate and adapter is 7.38lbs instead of 4.89lbs, that brings the total weight to 8.99lbs which is 82% of the 11lb max load capacity of the Star Adv..)

Question #2:  Is the length of the 70ED a factor?  Again, if the information I have is correct, the minimum length is about 12.5” (318mm) with lens cover retracted and focusing tube (if that’s the right word) also retracted.  The maximum length is about 18.3” (465mm) with both the previously mentioned items fully extended.

Thanks in advance for input as to whether the weight and/or length of the 70ED is likely to be an issue for the Star Adv. as well as any thoughts or comments about SVBONY and/or the 70ED itself.

Thanks so much in advance!

Adrian

• teashea likes this

#2 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 12 April 2021 - 01:06 AM

This is not black and white.  Optical trains do not suddenly become too heavy for mounts (and focal length counts as much as weight, it magnifies tracking errors).  Things get more difficult.  And far moreso if you're a beginner.  The two classic beginner mistakes (often combined) are inadequate mounts and too big telescopes.

Bottom line.  If your budget limits you to a camera tracker (not awful), put a camera and a lens on it.  You'll make progress substantially faster.  Make some nice images.  Most of all.  You'll be able to make a better decision if this is something you want to pursue seriously, and where to go next.

Even more important.  You'll have more fun than if you push the Star Adventurer to its limit.  <smile>

Things are vastly different for beginners.  What experienced imagers can do with a setup has surprisingly little relevance for you.

I'm afraid small targets will just have to wait until you get that experience.  <smile>

Edited by bobzeq25, 12 April 2021 - 01:07 AM.

• PatrickVt likes this

#3 t-ara-fan

t-ara-fan

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: 50° 13' N

Posted 12 April 2021 - 11:02 PM

x2 on using just a DSLR.  There is a LOT to learn when doing AP, so why not have success from day one with wide field and telephoto shots. There are many nice targets you can shoot with that equipment.

#4 teashea

teashea

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Posted 13 April 2021 - 08:58 PM

Hi!  Brand new to this forum, and noob astrophotographer wannab.  Apologies in advance for my mistakes, etc.!  Please point me in the right direction if my question(s) would be best posted elsewhere.

I have a Canon 80D camera, a couple kit lenses, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS STM and EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS STM along with an EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM.  I also have a Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer 2i Pro Pack (Star Adv.).  I’d like a lens/telescope that can get better/close pictures of nebulae, galaxies, etc., and maybe even planets than my 55-250mm lens.

I’m wanting to buy a SVBONY SV503 70ED f6 (70ED) telescope from Amazon.  Why Amazon?  Because right now I don’t have cash or other credit, but I do have some Amazon credit.  Here's a link to the scope:

https://www.amazon.c...18205374&sr=8-1

Question #1:  Is the 70ED going to end up being too heavy and too long for the Star Adv.?  My camera body with battery weighs 1.61lbs.  If the information I’ve obtained is correct, the 70ED weighs 4.89lbs, and I'm told that does include the mounting tube rings, dovetail mounting plate and 2”-1.25” adapter.  (I wonder if that's actually  correct as the description on Amazon shows a 'tube weight' of 2.22kg (4.89lbs), and an item weight of 7.38lbs under 'product information'.)  That adds up to a total of 6.5lbs, which is 59% of the 11lb max load capacity of the Star Adv., so I’m thinking I should be fine where the weight is concerned.  Would you agree?  (If the actual total weight of the tube, rings, plate and adapter is 7.38lbs instead of 4.89lbs, that brings the total weight to 8.99lbs which is 82% of the 11lb max load capacity of the Star Adv..)

Question #2:  Is the length of the 70ED a factor?  Again, if the information I have is correct, the minimum length is about 12.5” (318mm) with lens cover retracted and focusing tube (if that’s the right word) also retracted.  The maximum length is about 18.3” (465mm) with both the previously mentioned items fully extended.

Thanks in advance for input as to whether the weight and/or length of the 70ED is likely to be an issue for the Star Adv. as well as any thoughts or comments about SVBONY and/or the 70ED itself.

Thanks so much in advance!

Adrian

A mount is very important.  Many people mistakenly under mount their telescopes - a terrible thing to do.  Get a good mount.  A Vixen Porta II would be very good with that telescope.

little.jpg

#5 MacSkiller

MacSkiller

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 April 2021 - 07:57 PM

Thanks to everyone that replied!  I really appreciate it! 

Yes, someone with a lot of experience recommended I not go in the direction of that lens, but being new, not knowing better and really wanting to get that lens, I was hoping I could find a few people who would respond favorably about getting that lens so I could justify getting it.  More proof that just because I want something doesn’t mean it’s good for me!  I had trouble learning that lesson as a kid.  I’m still learning at age 59...

Again, thanks for taking the time to respond!

Edited by MacSkiller, 18 April 2021 - 07:58 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Equipment, Beginner, Astrophotography, DSLR, Refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics