•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

PHD2 calibration.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Julian Sanz

Julian Sanz

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 April 2021 - 01:59 AM

Hello. Although the instructions in the PHD2 manual are clear, I don't do good calibrations. Can you give my advice, based on your experience, on how to do a good calibrarían?

Thanks

#2 freddie

freddie

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 12 April 2021 - 02:18 AM

I think we are going to need a bit more information. What is your setup, how do you calibrate, why is the calibration not good etc etc?

• Jim Waters and happylimpet like this

#3 Tapio

Tapio

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 12 April 2021 - 02:21 AM

Can you elaborate - what is your problem ?

And have you done guiding assistant ?

• happylimpet likes this

#4 Julian Sanz

Julian Sanz

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 April 2021 - 04:15 AM

Can you elaborate - what is your problem ?

And have you done guiding assistant ?

Hi, thanks for your help. I use the lx200 mount / fork. Guide tube 72ed. Asi 120mm camera. I now look for a tall sprella to the south-east. And if you use the guiding assistant. But I see that in the guiding assistant the total RMS is well below (+. 0.50 arc / sec) the guide RMS (+ - 1.30 arc / sec).
The guide speed in the mount is at 0.50.

The mount is well balanced the mount in AR, and and Dec.

Everything is well secured / tight, and the cables well arranged.

#5 Julian Sanz

Julian Sanz

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 April 2021 - 04:15 AM

I think we are going to need a bit more information. What is your setup, how do you calibrate, why is the calibration not good etc etc?

Hi, thanks for your help. I use the lx200 mount / fork. Guide tube 72ed. Asi 120mm camera. I now look for a tall sprella to the south-east. And if you use the guiding assistant. But I see that in the guiding assistant the total RMS is well below (+. 0.50 arc / sec) the guide RMS (+ - 1.30 arc / sec).
The guide speed in the mount is at 0.50.

The mount is well balanced the mount in AR, and and Dec.

Everything is well secured / tight, and the cables well arranged.

#6 michael8554

michael8554

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wiltshire UK

Posted 12 April 2021 - 03:24 PM

Hi Julian

You have mentioned Guide assistant and some RMS figures, but haven't said in what way your Calibrations are not good.

Post a GuideLog that includes a Calibration.

#7 Stelios

Stelios

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 12 April 2021 - 04:07 PM

You can't guide an alt-az mount (that's what fork mounts are) with default settings.

In calibration, PhD2 tells the mount to move in RA (following the path of the sky) and DEC, and notices how the star moves in the guidescope, so it can align the orientation of the guide camera with the orientation of the mount.

You must either get a wedge, OR use the principles in this article to guide with an Alt-Az mount. It's for a different mount, but the principles apply.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics