•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Starfleet

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Petergoodhew

Petergoodhew

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 April 2021 - 12:52 PM

Great capture of a fleet of satellites last night sadly photo-bombed by a couple of extrovert galaxies (NGC 5426 and NGC 5427).

Attached Thumbnails

• Starfleet.jpg

• cometcatcher, RSJ, Dynan and 2 others like this

#2 Mr. Pepap

Mr. Pepap

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Maryland

Posted 12 April 2021 - 12:57 PM

Starlink?

Some people find this very annoying, but personally I think it's quite cool.

There is something weirdly satisfying about having a few rows of perfectly straight lines appear across your skyscape after a long-exposure photo, even if the intention was for something else.

Just me? 

• hornjs likes this

#3 WadeH237

WadeH237

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Ellensburg, WA

Posted 12 April 2021 - 04:06 PM

That target is it about the same declination as M42, which is notorious for getting photobombed by geostationary satellites.  Given that there are so many parallel paths (and of different brightness), I would guess that the same thing is happening here.

Right now, I am working on M63, and it seems to be in an area that is under constant attack by satellites, but instead of parallel lines, they come from many different directions.  After I'm done with it, I am thinking about creating a version that retains all of the satellite trails, like you've done here.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics