•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My Fall and Winter Projects

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ac4lt

ac4lt

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Shenandoah Valley

Posted 12 April 2021 - 01:31 PM

I haven't had a chance to participate much in the forum over most of 2020 but thankfully, astronomy continued. For almost seven months from September 2020 until March 2021 I was fortunate to be able to use some really fantastic equipment at a friend's remote observatory in West Virginia. He has some amazing equipment and I was privileged to be able to be able to use it. This was educational in terms of seeing the benefits of using high end equipment as well as helping me understand some of the issues that go into planning an observatory build. This was especially helpful to me as we were in the midst of packing for a move, moving and unpacking and likely wouldn't not have been able to do any imaging without the generosity of the observatory owner.

With all that out of the way, here are links to the images I was able to finish while there. There were three broadband and three narrowband. There was one open cluster, one globular cluster, one supernova remnant, and three emission nebulae. Alas, no galaxies or planetary nebulae.  It seems I learn a lot with each image even after a few years and these were no exception. I can say without equivocation that it is a lot easier to process good data and this setup delivered on that. I'll definitely miss having access to it!

Here are links to the astrobin images:

get.jpg?insecure get.jpg?insecure get.jpg?insecure get.jpg?insecure get.jpg?insecure get.jpg?insecure

I mentioned that we moved. Our former residence was in SQM 18.0 skies and we moved to SQM 20.3, not as dark as the 22.5 where the observatory I got to use was but a whole lot darker than where we used to live. I'm starting to plan for the observatory build now so look for me over in the observatory forum asking lots of questions soon. smile.gif

Edited by ac4lt, 12 April 2021 - 01:31 PM.

• Phillip Creed, Scott Mitchell, John Rogers and 10 others like this

#2 jerr

jerr

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Czarny Las, Poland

Posted 12 April 2021 - 01:46 PM

Well, well.

Beginner they are not.

Congrats!

#3 lucam

lucam

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Upstate NY, USA

Posted 12 April 2021 - 09:58 PM

Nice work, Linda! A permanent observatory will make the astrophotography experience so much more enjoyable, as you already know. I am curious to hear more about your experience imaging with the RH305, it's such a unique instrument! 

Luca

#4 terry59

terry59

Voyager 1

• Loc: Colorado, USA

Posted 13 April 2021 - 05:56 AM

Very nice images Linda

waytogo.gif

I see you've upgraded equipment

cool.gif

#5 ac4lt

ac4lt

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Shenandoah Valley

Posted 13 April 2021 - 09:05 AM

Thanks for the kind words!

Terry, the equipment wasn't mine but the owner was kind enough to allow me to run it for six months. 

Luca, The RH 305 was a joy to use. There was an FLI ML16200 (think I got that right) camera on it giving an image scale of 1.1"/pixel. The field of view was only slightly smaller than my little 80mm but the resolution was quite a bit finer. The optics were fast making up for the relatively high (compared to CMOS) 6e- read noise of the CCD. But that CCD produced some wonderful data. I can definitely see why many are lamenting the demise of the CCD, especially for these larger telescopes. Still, I'd love to see what the QHY600 or ASI6200 could do on that telescope especially in a location with great seeing.

It is all but certain that I'll never own equipment like that. Aside from the cost, it's big and heavy. But, wow, it was sure nice!

• lucam likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics