•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Final mount choice (Losmandy or EQ6R)

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 limeyx

limeyx

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 12 April 2021 - 02:14 PM

So I am very aware that the two above mounts are quite different capacities but there is no EQ7R to add in here.

I had an order for the iOptron CEM70 and tri-pier but I have canceled it due to the many reports of QA issues, and many people even getting back repaired equipment that still had failures. I've seen people both here and on groups elsewhere with mounts from the CEM26, 40 and 70 having these issues (although none really on the CEM60/120)

I'm about to make an order for one of the above but I am really new and only used to a star tracker.

My preference is for the Losmandy G11 and I can stretch my budget to make it (although that would delay other investments such as a real astro-camera)

Is there something I am missing here, either another mount, or just getting the EQ6R for now and upgrading again later (I'm not thrilled about used mounts, either buying or selling generally)

My current payload is *really* small - a 60mm refractor, small guide scope and electronic focuser, so short and light (maybe 8 pounds)

I do want a bigger scope (likely a Newtonian astrograph or similar) for next galaxy season, but I likely can't afford anything that would exceed the EQ6R's capacity for at least 2-3 years as the priority is on an astro-cam next

From a price / spec performance the CEM70 was essentially perfect.

I understand both the above are much older tech

My understanding is both mounts are generally tried & tested

EQ6R

- Even heavier than the G11

- Fiddly Alt/Az adjustements for PA

- Lower payload

- No through-the-mount cables or power

Losmandy

- Well machined

- Gemini system looks like it is from 1980 but seems to not get too many complaints

I've already increased my budget from a CEM26 to a CEM40 and to the 70 so there really isn't scope to go above the G11

Any advice would be really appreciated.

• timmbottoni likes this

#2 davidmalanick

davidmalanick

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sheboygan Wisconsin

Posted 12 April 2021 - 02:31 PM

I'm switching from a CGEM II to a Losmandy G11.  Three more weeks until it arrives .

Going with a new G11 because:

I don't want to get another mount down the road  "Save money".  They seem to last along forever.

The build quality is great.

Great tracking.

I can upgrade it in the future. For Newer technology or increased capacity.

If I have to fix something or upgrade I can always get parts and do it myself.

I got the extra kit to divide the mount in half, easy to carry.

The HD tripod seems to be rock solid.

Built in the USA.

Great tech support!

Learned enough in a short time in this hobby to not hit myself in the head saying

"Why didn't I just save the wasted time, money and frustration and buy it in the first place"!

David

• bobhen, timmbottoni, descott12 and 1 other like this

#3 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 12 April 2021 - 02:34 PM

I have a Losmandy GM811G mount.  I have owned it for about 4 years.  The Gemini-2 interface is a bit old school dating back many years along with its servo motor design.  I didn't want another 'sand-cast' quickly put together mount so I got the GM811G.  DEC backlash is a killer on my mount but can be adjusted by remeshing the gears.  This is common for all Losmandy mounts.

If I had to do it again I would look at belt-driven mounts that use steppers and are more up to date with built in GPS and USB ports..

• limeyx likes this

#4 limeyx

limeyx

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 April 2021 - 02:40 PM

I have a Losmandy GM811G mount.  I have owned it for about 4 years.  The Gemini-2 interface is a bit old school dating back many years along with its servo motor design.  I didn't want another 'sand-cast' quickly put together mount so I got the GM811G.  DEC backlash is a killer on my mount but can be adjusted by remeshing the gears.  This is common for all Losmandy mounts.

If I had to do it again I would look at belt-driven mounts that use steppers and are more up to date with built in GPS and USB ports..

Yeah there-in is the dilemma. I know the Highpoint scientific replaces motors with steppers but it's yet more $ I dont have

I've heard that recent updates (which I will get, buying new) such as the spring-loaded worm and a few other things really help with the backlash.

What mount do you think you would consider if buying again ? 

#5 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 12 April 2021 - 02:48 PM

Spring Loaded Worm (SLW) have done little for me (and others) in relation to DEC backlash.  There are 4 gear-to-gear surfaces.  You can't control / eliminate backlash with this design.  I have replaced the GM811G gear box twice in the 4 years.  The mounting holes for the gear box to motor interface have a tendency to strip causing major issues.  The gear boxes are hard plastic.

EDIT - It could be 3 gear-to-gear surfaces but I still think its 4.

The polar scope costs extra ($300) along with the knobs to replace the ALT and tripod screws. 

Edited by Jim Waters, 12 April 2021 - 03:00 PM.

• Rasfahan likes this

#6 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 12 April 2021 - 03:15 PM

If you look at the CEM70 versus the Losmandy G11, you will find many more problem reports on CN for the CEM70. I'm not sure that you can draw the conclusion that this means "a lot" of problems, though. I say that because I think that there are many more CEM70's being sold than G11's (but I have no proof of that). So, I'd expect to see more problem reports. Since Losmandy offers phone support, why post here? Just call them. With iOptron you're sending in an email and hoping for the best. So, you post here in hope of getting a fast answer. I have never posted once here about any issue I've had with my Paramount MX+ because I just use the Bisque forum or call tech support or the sales department when I need information. 

One thing seems very clear to me. Losmandy support is really better than what you will get with iOptron. iOptron never answers the phone - it's all email. That alone might make you prefer Losmandy.

Personally, I am a big fan of mounts with factory installed through the mount cabling for power and USB. These are trivial to set up and use. If you change equipment or are setting up anew for each imaging session. At the same time, it's fair to say that once you perfect your cabling scheme over a couple of sessions, unless you change gear, it just doesn't matter much if at all. 

I find the iOptron hand controller to be easy to use. My one night with Gemini II left me scratching my head as I powered through setting up a friends mount. Still, once I got it done, it was done and I'm sure that I could do it faster now that I have done it once. 

Personally, to me belt driven is the way to build mounts at a price point. You eliminate the need for carefully machined spur gears which can have their own backlash. You have fewer moving parts to go wrong. Even the latest AP mount is belt driven FWIW.

Rgrds-Ross

#7 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 12 April 2021 - 03:30 PM

rgsalinger has some good points.  For Losmandy mounts there are 3 active Grouos.IO sites. I don't recall seeing many Losmandy posts on CN.

https://groups.io/g/...dy_users/topics

https://groups.io/g/...M_Driver/topics

https://groups.io/g/...M_Driver/topics

• limeyx likes this

#8 davidmalanick

davidmalanick

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 12 April 2021 - 03:43 PM

When I was deciding on a mount, there is something I noticed and sent up red flags.

The used mounts for sale.  Wondered why kept seeing people selling new IOptron mounts in the classified adds?

I was thinking of a IOptron mount with encoders until I saw all the problems people were having.

And yes, the tech support never seems able to fix long term problems.

The Groups.io listed above are a great place to ask questions. A lot people post asking about buying a Losmandy mount.

As for the mounts,  don't mess with them, call tec support or post in the group.io sites.

Scott Losmandy adjusts the mounts before they are shipped.

What other owner of a company does that?

Here is a good Losmandy video to watch. https://youtu.be/DBapLdFPnU4

Losmandy has a real good selection of video's the learn about using the mounts and Gemini II system.

Beats watching some YouTube "Expert" fumble his way incorrectly in a video.

Edited by davidmalanick, 12 April 2021 - 03:44 PM.

• Joe Bergeron, limeyx and Gen 1:16 like this

#9 limeyx

limeyx

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 April 2021 - 04:33 PM

If you look at the CEM70 versus the Losmandy G11, you will find many more problem reports on CN for the CEM70. I'm not sure that you can draw the conclusion that this means "a lot" of problems, though. I say that because I think that there are many more CEM70's being sold than G11's (but I have no proof of that). So, I'd expect to see more problem reports. Since Losmandy offers phone support, why post here? Just call them. With iOptron you're sending in an email and hoping for the best. So, you post here in hope of getting a fast answer. I have never posted once here about any issue I've had with my Paramount MX+ because I just use the Bisque forum or call tech support or the sales department when I need information. 

One thing seems very clear to me. Losmandy support is really better than what you will get with iOptron. iOptron never answers the phone - it's all email. That alone might make you prefer Losmandy.

Personally, I am a big fan of mounts with factory installed through the mount cabling for power and USB. These are trivial to set up and use. If you change equipment or are setting up anew for each imaging session. At the same time, it's fair to say that once you perfect your cabling scheme over a couple of sessions, unless you change gear, it just doesn't matter much if at all. 

I find the iOptron hand controller to be easy to use. My one night with Gemini II left me scratching my head as I powered through setting up a friends mount. Still, once I got it done, it was done and I'm sure that I could do it faster now that I have done it once. 

Personally, to me belt driven is the way to build mounts at a price point. You eliminate the need for carefully machined spur gears which can have their own backlash. You have fewer moving parts to go wrong. Even the latest AP mount is belt driven FWIW.

Rgrds-Ross

Thank you. I truly appreciate your insight and help - I've seen a lot of posts you have made and I highly respect your opinion.

I seem to be in a bit of a mount "black hole" - there are 200 mounts at the $1200 or less price point which given their price, are what they are and a bunch at 2x the price.

This middle range seems to be under-served and it's frustrating. If the CEM70 was more likely to be reliable it would be absolutely the mount for me. I just doubt its QC and how it would perform over time

Are there any mounts in the $3500 range (including tripod) you'd recommend ? (Excluding the CEM* for now) I'm not hugely knowledgeable in this area

#10 Rasfahan

Rasfahan

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hessen, Germany

Posted 12 April 2021 - 05:07 PM

Thank you. I truly appreciate your insight and help - I've seen a lot of posts you have made and I highly respect your opinion.

I seem to be in a bit of a mount "black hole" - there are 200 mounts at the $1200 or less price point which given their price, are what they are and a bunch at 2x the price.

This middle range seems to be under-served and it's frustrating. If the CEM70 was more likely to be reliable it would be absolutely the mount for me. I just doubt its QC and how it would perform over time

Are there any mounts in the $3500 range (including tripod) you'd recommend ? (Excluding the CEM* for now) I'm not hugely knowledgeable in this area

Short answer: No. Do the "cheap" mount lottery with the EQ6-R.

Long answer: I was in the same position some time ago, as a step up from a very well performing Heq-5. Needed something for a RASA 11 (about 25kg incl. image train). Went with a boutique mount, not a good idea in hindsight, cost me a huge load of time and clear skies and quite some money. I am waiting for delivery of a 10Micron now and really hope this is worth it. I thought long about doing the lottery with an EQ-8R instead, cost would've been 1/4th. Didn't like the idea of fussing with a mount again.

As a single data point: Belt modding my Heq-5 made it go from 1.2" RMS to 0.6-0.8" RMS, loaded with 12kg of imaging gear (RC8 carbon+ASI2600+FW+OAG), round stars at 1600mm FL. Most productive 30 mins I ever spent with my imaging equipment. I can not, of course, guarantee that another sample of the Heq-5 will perform to that standard. But I would seriously consider the EQ-6R from a vendor with a generous return/exchange policy as a first step up from a tracker as it has a similar belt drive. A smallish newton or 5 inch refractor should perform very well on it.

#11 limeyx

limeyx

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 April 2021 - 05:37 PM

Short answer: No. Do the "cheap" mount lottery with the EQ6-R.

Long answer: I was in the same position some time ago, as a step up from a very well performing Heq-5. Needed something for a RASA 11 (about 25kg incl. image train). Went with a boutique mount, not a good idea in hindsight, cost me a huge load of time and clear skies and quite some money. I am waiting for delivery of a 10Micron now and really hope this is worth it. I thought long about doing the lottery with an EQ-8R instead, cost would've been 1/4th. Didn't like the idea of fussing with a mount again.

As a single data point: Belt modding my Heq-5 made it go from 1.2" RMS to 0.6-0.8" RMS, loaded with 12kg of imaging gear (RC8 carbon+ASI2600+FW+OAG), round stars at 1600mm FL. Most productive 30 mins I ever spent with my imaging equipment. I can not, of course, guarantee that another sample of the Heq-5 will perform to that standard. But I would seriously consider the EQ-6R from a vendor with a generous return/exchange policy as a first step up from a tracker as it has a similar belt drive. A smallish newton or 5 inch refractor should perform very well on it.

Thanks. I've been trying to follow the advice here and buy the best mount I can afford (especially since my CFO has already "approved" this expense!)

Friend had a HEQ5 and could not get it below 1" RMS and went to the CEM70. He seems to have gotten one that's currently working well for him (he is also much more mechanically adept than I am)

Losmandy does seem somewhat pre-historic but maybe that's not the worst thing. I already have had better support from them than anyone else by quite a far margin

#12 davidmalanick

davidmalanick

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 12 April 2021 - 05:49 PM

This is all you would need plus the AC/DC adapter.  Everything else you might want to add on you can do later.

https://store-losman...tores.com/g11-g

60lbs imaging capacity and 75lbs visual.  Last mount you'll buy for a long time.  If you get a new scope for a EQ6-R Pro it has a capacity of 44lbs.

Which means at 50% recommended, by most astrophotography people on Cloudynights, the mount will hold 22lbs. Not much room to grow.

I hear people on Cloudynights say "Buy once, cry once" about the investment in quality equipment.

Wish I would have don that right off the bat!

My used CGEM II, having it Hypertuned, which didn't help, and all the shipping costs added up to much more then 1/2 the cost of my G11.

Not to mention all the frustration and wasted time.  With all the money I would have saved just getting a GOOD mount right away, I could have a bought a nice new $2000+ Astro camera.

Lesson learned.  Just trying to give you my situation because I would have loved the advice when I started.

Good look on whatever you decide on getting.

Edited by davidmalanick, 12 April 2021 - 05:50 PM.

• weis14 likes this

#13 weis14

weis14

Ranger 4

• Loc: Midland, MI

Posted 12 April 2021 - 06:01 PM

Losmandy does seem somewhat pre-historic but maybe that's not the worst thing. I already have had better support from them than anyone else by quite a far margin

If support and longevity are the goal, go with the G-11. Losmandy's diffrentiating characteristics are premium support (as good or better than anyone in my experience) and extreme durability and serviceability (a 25 year old G-11 can be brought all the way to current specs). They are as good at these two things as any of the "premium" manufacturers.

Their support just talked me out of an $875 purchase (to upgrade the GM811 to a G-11) when I was worried that the GM811 Dec axis was under sized for my CFF160 (for visual or short exposure EAA) and would wear quickly. I was told this was a non-issue and that I should save my money.

Brian also apologized for the delay in responding to one of my emails. His delay might have been 48 hours. I've heard of someone who had him on the phone during an imaging session troubleshooting something.

This is not to say Losmandy mounts are perfect. The backlash issue is real and probably is something that was considered well-controlled 25-30 years ago when the G-8 and G-11 were designed. While the GM811 is newer, it is just an arrangement of parts from these older designs. Standards have improved during that time.
  • Jim Waters and limeyx like this

#14 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 12 April 2021 - 06:44 PM

I agree with weis14 and limeyx above.  Losmandy phone and Groups.IO support is very good.

• weis14 and limeyx like this

#15 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 12 April 2021 - 07:24 PM

If you don't want the CEM70, then get the G11. Either of these is vastly superior to the EQ6R if you ever want to put a heavy payload on the mount. If you don't plan a heavy load, then you will have a ton of fun for years with an EQ6R and if you want to sell it in 5 years time, you'll get back half of your money. 

I am a big fan of returning things that don't work out of the box. I've returned an FLI filter wheel - loose chain, a Televue Refractor - bad collimation, two Meade 10" F8 ACF OTA's, and a lot more when they did not work in the first month I owned them. I get that some people love to tinker, I do not. If I can't fix it simply it goes to be repaired by someone what actually knows what they are doing. 

I don't much care about getting phone support because my problems occur at 10PM at night and I can't get anyone on the phone then. I can, though, send an email and see if I get a reply from the vendor and/or post on the forum. I just have not found it to be a big deal, even though I love talking to George or Howard at AP, I seem to get along fine muddling through. YMMV, IMO, IMHO, IME and LSMFT.

Rgrds-Ross

• weis14, Wildetelescope and limeyx like this

#16 limeyx

limeyx

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 April 2021 - 09:11 PM

If you don't want the CEM70, then get the G11. Either of these is vastly superior to the EQ6R if you ever want to put a heavy payload on the mount. If you don't plan a heavy load, then you will have a ton of fun for years with an EQ6R and if you want to sell it in 5 years time, you'll get back half of your money. 

I am a big fan of returning things that don't work out of the box. I've returned an FLI filter wheel - loose chain, a Televue Refractor - bad collimation, two Meade 10" F8 ACF OTA's, and a lot more when they did not work in the first month I owned them. I get that some people love to tinker, I do not. If I can't fix it simply it goes to be repaired by someone what actually knows what they are doing. 

I don't much care about getting phone support because my problems occur at 10PM at night and I can't get anyone on the phone then. I can, though, send an email and see if I get a reply from the vendor and/or post on the forum. I just have not found it to be a big deal, even though I love talking to George or Howard at AP, I seem to get along fine muddling through. YMMV, IMO, IMHO, IME and LSMFT.

Rgrds-Ross

Thank you, I appreciate the advice.

I *really* want to want the CEM70 with the through-the-mount, the USB, the "find home" etc. etc. I just suck at the lotto in general and areas of chance. I am betting in a year or so, this will all be ironed out and these CEM70 will be rock solid mounts that everyone wants but it's not looking like the timing is going to work out for me right now

#17 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 12 April 2021 - 09:15 PM

Let us know what you decide.  Good luck.

#18 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 12 April 2021 - 09:57 PM

Thank you, I appreciate the advice.

I *really* want to want the CEM70 with the through-the-mount, the USB, the "find home" etc. etc. I just suck at the lotto in general and areas of chance. I am betting in a year or so, this will all be ironed out and these CEM70 will be rock solid mounts that everyone wants but it's not looking like the timing is going to work out for me right now

No mount in your price range is perfect.  Most of them can be optimized with a little effort.  What are your ultimate expectations.  I have Losmandy mounts AND a 10 year old Regular EQ6(basically the same mount without a belt).  Did a Hypertune myself with a Deepspace products kit on the EQ6. Mostly just cleaning things, re-schimming the RA axis , and putting a lot of time into adjusting the worm mesh.  Peak to Peak is about 12" Native and was getting RMS values of 0.6" or so last year with my small refractors.  It is a good mount for the price.  However, my 5 inch refractor challenged it and my C11 is strictly planet imaging or visual.  For my bigger scopes I use my G11T.  The primary worm harmonic gives me +/- 5 arcseconds or native.  I typically get between 0.6-0.8" most nights guided, even with my meter and a half long 6 inch F9 Triplet.  My Atlas won't do that:-). The standard G11 is a definite step up from the EQ 6, but it has its quirks, like most mechanical things.  Jim mentioned the backlash.  It is there, but PHD handles it pretty well, in my experience.  

if you are moving up from what is in your signature, either mount is going to be a MAJOR step up!.  What do you intend to put on it?  Anything up to a 5 inch refractor, or a C8 should be fine on an EQ6.  The farther you go beyond 1000mm in focal length, the more twitchy your setup will get, but it should be manageable(at least in my experience). Once you go over 2000 mm, OR start playing with really long refractors, you probably really want to be thinking the G11 class mount for capacity.   You plan to go over 3000 mm, break out the check book and expect to spend north of 5 Grand for the BUDGET solution:-)    I really like the Losmandy mounts I own, and expect that they will be running longer than I will.  That said, I have to admit that eq 6 just keeps on kicking and is my portable goto mount. I have gotten my 1200 bucks out of it several times over.   I can't say a bad word about it.  

Good Luck!

JMD

Edit-I would add that I am someone that does not mind tinkering and will do so just to see how things work. All my mounts ran fine out of the box. they continue to do so(or a little better) because of occasional maintenance  I completely appreciate Ross' perspective though and can understand if folks don't want to tweak things to optimize performance.  My advice there is save up and spend more money when you can.  this is supposed to be fun, and if your gear is preventing that, then it is not doing its job.   I also agree that things that do NOT work as advertised when purchased should just be sent back.  

Edited by Wildetelescope, 12 April 2021 - 10:09 PM.

• rbish237 and limeyx like this

#19 limeyx

limeyx

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 April 2021 - 09:37 AM

No mount in your price range is perfect.  Most of them can be optimized with a little effort.  What are your ultimate expectations.  I have Losmandy mounts AND a 10 year old Regular EQ6(basically the same mount without a belt).  Did a Hypertune myself with a Deepspace products kit on the EQ6. Mostly just cleaning things, re-schimming the RA axis , and putting a lot of time into adjusting the worm mesh.  Peak to Peak is about 12" Native and was getting RMS values of 0.6" or so last year with my small refractors.  It is a good mount for the price.  However, my 5 inch refractor challenged it and my C11 is strictly planet imaging or visual.  For my bigger scopes I use my G11T.  The primary worm harmonic gives me +/- 5 arcseconds or native.  I typically get between 0.6-0.8" most nights guided, even with my meter and a half long 6 inch F9 Triplet.  My Atlas won't do that:-). The standard G11 is a definite step up from the EQ 6, but it has its quirks, like most mechanical things.  Jim mentioned the backlash.  It is there, but PHD handles it pretty well, in my experience.  

if you are moving up from what is in your signature, either mount is going to be a MAJOR step up!.  What do you intend to put on it?  Anything up to a 5 inch refractor, or a C8 should be fine on an EQ6.  The farther you go beyond 1000mm in focal length, the more twitchy your setup will get, but it should be manageable(at least in my experience). Once you go over 2000 mm, OR start playing with really long refractors, you probably really want to be thinking the G11 class mount for capacity.   You plan to go over 3000 mm, break out the check book and expect to spend north of 5 Grand for the BUDGET solution:-)    I really like the Losmandy mounts I own, and expect that they will be running longer than I will.  That said, I have to admit that eq 6 just keeps on kicking and is my portable goto mount. I have gotten my 1200 bucks out of it several times over.   I can't say a bad word about it.  

Good Luck!

JMD

Edit-I would add that I am someone that does not mind tinkering and will do so just to see how things work. All my mounts ran fine out of the box. they continue to do so(or a little better) because of occasional maintenance  I completely appreciate Ross' perspective though and can understand if folks don't want to tweak things to optimize performance.  My advice there is save up and spend more money when you can.  this is supposed to be fun, and if your gear is preventing that, then it is not doing its job.   I also agree that things that do NOT work as advertised when purchased should just be sent back.  

Thank you, and as you say, moving from a SkyGuider, any mount that can do a GOTO and has a DEC motor is going to feel like I am driving Cadillac - manually framing targets by moving the mount and having my PA drift all night is getting pretty old.

I am almost certainly going to go with the G11. I've had fantastic email support at all hours from Losmandy and it's pretty clear they are passionate about astronomy. 

A huge thanks to all for the advice. As was pointed out, there is no perfect mount for this price but I need to reserve money for a better camera and a bigger scope at some point, so it is a bit of a balance.

#20 limeyx

limeyx

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 April 2021 - 11:49 AM

Well, I pulled the trigger on the G11. Will report back once I get things up & running.

Really hoping this is the right choice for me but I know a lot of users love these mounts so I am optimistic

• Joe Bergeron, gmartin02, Jaimo! and 5 others like this

#21 DuncanM

DuncanM

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona Sky Village or the rain forest

Posted 13 April 2021 - 12:19 PM

So I am very aware that the two above mounts are quite different capacities but there is no EQ7R to add in here.

I had an order for the iOptron CEM70 and tri-pier but I have canceled it due to the many reports of QA issues, and many people even getting back repaired equipment that still had failures. I've seen people both here and on groups elsewhere with mounts from the CEM26, 40 and 70 having these issues (although none really on the CEM60/120)

I'm about to make an order for one of the above but I am really new and only used to a star tracker.

My preference is for the Losmandy G11 and I can stretch my budget to make it (although that would delay other investments such as a real astro-camera)

Is there something I am missing here, either another mount, or just getting the EQ6R for now and upgrading again later (I'm not thrilled about used mounts, either buying or selling generally)

My current payload is *really* small - a 60mm refractor, small guide scope and electronic focuser, so short and light (maybe 8 pounds)

I do want a bigger scope (likely a Newtonian astrograph or similar) for next galaxy season, but I likely can't afford anything that would exceed the EQ6R's capacity for at least 2-3 years as the priority is on an astro-cam next

From a price / spec performance the CEM70 was essentially perfect.

I understand both the above are much older tech

My understanding is both mounts are generally tried & tested

EQ6R

- Even heavier than the G11

- Fiddly Alt/Az adjustements for PA

- Lower payload

Losmandy

- Well machined

- Gemini system looks like it is from 1980 but seems to not get too many complaints

I've already increased my budget from a CEM26 to a CEM40 and to the 70 so there really isn't scope to go above the G11

Any advice would be really appreciated.

The EQ6R is not a bad mount, especially for visual work, but it is not in the same ballpark as a CEM60 (I have both mounts). 

• limeyx likes this

#22 kel123

kel123

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 13 April 2021 - 12:56 PM

This is all you would need plus the AC/DC adapter. Everything else you might want to add on you can do later.

https://store-losman...tores.com/g11-g

60lbs imaging capacity and 75lbs visual. Last mount you'll buy for a long time. If you get a new scope for a EQ6-R Pro it has a capacity of 44lbs.
Which means at 50% recommended, by most astrophotography people on Cloudynights, the mount will hold 22lbs. Not much room to grow.
I hear people on Cloudynights say "Buy once, cry once" about the investment in quality equipment.

Wish I would have don that right off the bat!

My used CGEM II, having it Hypertuned, which didn't help, and all the shipping costs added up to much more then 1/2 the cost of my G11.
Not to mention all the frustration and wasted time. With all the money I would have saved just getting a GOOD mount right away, I could have a bought a nice new $2000+ Astro camera.

Lesson learned. Just trying to give you my situation because I would have loved the advice when I started.

Good look on whatever you decide on getting.

This bandwagon thing is still going on very strong on CN. There is no hard and fast rule that a mount should only be loaded 50 percent for astrophotography.
In fact, Skywatcher was aware of this so called rule when they specifically stated on the data sheet of EQ6-R that the 44 lbs payload capacity is for astrophotography.
It is true that some mount makers have been liberal in the past with payload capacity claims but not all mounts or all manufacturers. This was the reason a few experienced imagers feel it is better to target 50 percent for astrophotography to avoid surprises. But it is not a rule cast in stone. Who says it shouldn't be 60, 70 or 90 even percent?
As far as the EQ6R is concerned, imagers have loaded it with 30+ lbs rigs and they are doing fine. I think the weight of that relatively heavy mount contributes to the capability.
When we offer boilerplate advice sometimes, we should remember that there are always an exception to rules based on only distrust.
  • limeyx likes this

#23 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 13 April 2021 - 01:00 PM

Well, I pulled the trigger on the G11. Will report back once I get things up & running.

Really hoping this is the right choice for me but I know a lot of users love these mounts so I am optimistic

Congrats!  I think you will be very happy for a long time.  A lot of folks out there willing to help.   I would recommend spending your time waiting for delivery watching the YouTube videos, and going through the Gemini 2 website.   That should help you hit the ground running.   Gemini II was implemented about 10 years ago or so.  It is actually quite powerful, and in my experience very consistent with its performance.  I find that its goto and pointing is more reliable than the Synta(EQ6) control software.    It can, however, be a bit intimidating give the layered menu structure in the hand controller.  However once you get that worked out, I find setup and getting things running is very fluid and quick when I go out.  It took me about 4 times out with the system to get comfortable, but I really enjoy it now and I think you will find the initial effort learning worth it.  Definitely check out the Losmandy.IO groups.  Lots of folks there to help and Brian V is also very active there.  

Cheers!

JMD

• limeyx likes this

#24 limeyx

limeyx

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 April 2021 - 01:08 PM

Congrats!  I think you will be very happy for a long time.  A lot of folks out there willing to help.   I would recommend spending your time waiting for delivery watching the YouTube videos, and going through the Gemini 2 website.   That should help you hit the ground running.   Gemini II was implemented about 10 years ago or so.  It is actually quite powerful, and in my experience very consistent with its performance.  I find that its goto and pointing is more reliable than the Synta(EQ6) control software.    It can, however, be a bit intimidating give the layered menu structure in the hand controller.  However once you get that worked out, I find setup and getting things running is very fluid and quick when I go out.  It took me about 4 times out with the system to get comfortable, but I really enjoy it now and I think you will find the initial effort learning worth it.  Definitely check out the Losmandy.IO groups.  Lots of folks there to help and Brian V is also very active there.  

Cheers!

JMD

Yup, absolutely. Full study mode, especially for things like star plotting and meridian flips that I have not had to deal with previously (especially making sure my cable mounting wont snag on the flip. Luckily I only have two longish cables coming off the OTA)

I'm really excited - this is going to lift me to the next level once I get over the learning curve

#25 davidmalanick

davidmalanick

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 13 April 2021 - 02:01 PM

Yup, absolutely. Full study mode, especially for things like star plotting and meridian flips that I have not had to deal with previously (especially making sure my cable mounting wont snag on the flip. Luckily I only have two longish cables coming off the OTA)

I'm really excited - this is going to lift me to the next level once I get over the learning curve

Congrats!

The waiting is the hardest part!  Ordered mine on March 7th, crossing my fingers for a shipping phone call in 2 weeks.

Think I've watched all the Losmandy YouTube videos 10 times each while I wait for delivery.

The Gemini website is nice in that it has a virtual hand controller to practice on.

David Malanick

• limeyx likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics