•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Is this a Celestron Super Polaris+ ?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 dwyer2bp

dwyer2bp

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 April 2021 - 02:19 PM

Dear CAT buffs,

I recently bought a pair of Celestron SCTs. When picking it up the owner gifted me practically everything they owned, including an old GEM. I setup the GEM once and thought 'yikes'. Then I set it up again and took the time to tighten down some things and actually put the C8 on top and thought it is actually very clean and sturdy. It even has a motor on each RA and DEC axis (each with their own old-school looking connector interface). You can de-clutch those motors and use the slow motion knobs and it seems to work flawlessly.

After doing some googling: Is this a Celestron Super Polaris C8? The C8 has no sticker indicating coatings (so there must not be coatings) and even does not have print written on the front ring that keeps the corrector plate in, so I figure this is most likely a "super c8" but I'm not an expert.

gallery_308122_16542_2159914.jpg

Link to more photos: https://www.cloudyni...per-polaris-c8/

Thanks for help ID-ing the scope and mount,

Brian

Edited by dwyer2bp, 12 April 2021 - 02:21 PM.

• Illinois, jjack's, stomias and 2 others like this

#2 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• Loc: Stamford, Connecticut

Posted 12 April 2021 - 02:26 PM

Yep, SP-C8. 

• CeeKay and dwyer2bp like this

#3 Nippon

Nippon

Skylab

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 12 April 2021 - 03:49 PM

Second the yep, SP C8

• CeeKay likes this

#4 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 12 April 2021 - 04:21 PM

Yes, I have one that is still running.  I have the Vixen SkySensor 2000 Goto system on it instead of the non goto RA and Dec motors.

#5 dwyer2bp

dwyer2bp

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 April 2021 - 04:53 PM

Any idea what these parts are for? They seem to be different versions for mounting a camera. One has a clamp butI don't know what that's supposed to clamp onto.

Specimen #1:

gallery_308122_16542_544298.jpg

Specimen #2:

gallery_308122_16542_1067817.jpg

#6 stomias

stomias

Explorer 1

• ****-

Posted 12 April 2021 - 05:35 PM

I still have a functioning SPC8 bought in 1985. Still works like new. I've enjoyed it immensely....

1015882 10201631396610828 1063870476 O 10201631396610828
stuff2
Album: LIV
1 images
0 comments

Edited by stomias, 12 April 2021 - 05:35 PM.

• stevew and telesonic like this

#7 stomias

stomias

Explorer 1

• ****-

Posted 12 April 2021 - 05:39 PM

Those other parts have nothing to do with the SPC8

• stevew and dwyer2bp like this

#8 stomias

stomias

Explorer 1

• ****-

Posted 12 April 2021 - 05:39 PM

First one is a car window clamp I believe, the second one is a camera piggyback slo/mo 

Edited by stomias, 12 April 2021 - 05:41 PM.

• stevew and dwyer2bp like this

#9 photoracer18

photoracer18

Skylab

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 12 April 2021 - 05:40 PM

Specimen one is for mounting a spotting scope on your partially down car window for traveling. As in bird or wildlife watching.

Specimen two if for getting slow-motion precision on top of a photo tripod, for camera or spotting scope.

Edited by photoracer18, 12 April 2021 - 05:40 PM.

• dwyer2bp likes this

#10 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 12 April 2021 - 06:10 PM

Best smaller mount ever made for the money back in the 80's.

• stevew, jjack's and telesonic like this

#11 dwyer2bp

dwyer2bp

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 April 2021 - 06:24 PM

I've always wanted to pickup a CG-4 and this seems pretty similar. I was thinking of keeping the mount/tripod for myself and letting the OTA go.

I'd rather not separate the OTA from the mount. I did that with my first C8 that was complete on a Celestar mount/tripod and it just had that feeling like separating R2D2 from C3PO. Any idea of a reasonable asking price for this as a package?

Thanks everyone for your input.

Edited by dwyer2bp, 12 April 2021 - 06:25 PM.

#12 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 12 April 2021 - 09:44 PM

Best smaller mount ever made for the money back in the 80's.

True, but in the 80s they weren't cheap..

#13 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 12 April 2021 - 09:46 PM

I've always wanted to pickup a CG-4 and this seems pretty similar.

Looks can be deceiving.

The Chinese knock offs are not the same as the Vixen Japan quality.

• dragonstar4565 and Augustus like this

#14 Nippon

Nippon

Skylab

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 12 April 2021 - 10:20 PM

I've always wanted to pickup a CG-4 and this seems pretty similar. I was thinking of keeping the mount/tripod for myself and letting the OTA go.

I'd rather not separate the OTA from the mount. I did that with my first C8 that was complete on a Celestar mount/tripod and it just had that feeling like separating R2D2 from C3PO. Any idea of a reasonable asking price for this as a package?

Thanks everyone for your input.

That Super Polaris mount is leagues ahead of a CG4. With patience and perhaps a want ad you can find Vixen motors and a controller. The SP and GP share the same motors and controllers. Orion's Skyview Pro goto kit can be adapted pretty easily to a Super Polaris. You would be hard pressed to find a better built mount these days. 

Edited by Nippon, 12 April 2021 - 10:23 PM.

• Brent Campbell, jjack's and telesonic like this

#15 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

Posted 13 April 2021 - 06:08 AM

True, but in the 80s they weren't cheap..

I paid around $450 for a bare SP mount new in 1986. I added dual axis drives for another $275 soon after.

#16 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

Posted 13 April 2021 - 06:09 AM

Looks can be deceiving.

I had the very first CG5 and 4 mounts in 1997 and they were rude and crude. What a big let down they were with the small tripod legs.

#17 PJBilotta

PJBilotta

Vostok 1

• Loc: Portland, Oregon

Posted 13 April 2021 - 11:16 PM

I have the exact same scope with motors and controller. The Super Polaris mount is such a joy to use - simple, silky smooth motion, lightweight, yet sturdy. It makes a C8 a grab-and-go scope!
  • gnowellsct likes this

#18 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 14 April 2021 - 07:05 AM

Yes, I have one that is still running.  I have the Vixen SkySensor 2000 Goto system on it instead of the non goto RA and Dec motors.

I would also add that for visual with the C8, the mount is adequate. I prefer using a bigger mount for EAA or imaging with that scope though.

• gnowellsct likes this

#19 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 14 April 2021 - 07:48 AM

Looks can be deceiving.

What he said. The super Polaris is a very high quality lightweight mount for small apertures. It can handle a 4-in refractor or a c8.

I have one of the ultra rare super Polaris mounts with motors in both right Ascension and dec. I don't think I've used it in 10 years but I can't bring myself to cut loose of it.

The main defect is that you have to constantly release and then retighten the clutches. There are mounts out there where you don't have to do that.

There is hardware out there for putting on digital setting circles.

My c8 is vintage 2016 and it is one of my most frequently used instruments along with the c14 and several different apos from 3 to 5 in. I use it on a g11 with a 92 mm refractor on top.

I forgot to mention that one of the reasons I don't bother selling my super Polaris is that they are in my view very underpriced on the used market because they are not go to. The super Polaris is a lean design which brings smooth capability and simplicity to people who like to observe on an equatorial mount.

However, it is not generally known, but if you point the dec axis straight up you can use it as an alt az mount.
  • Mike G., telesonic and dwyer2bp like this

#20 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 14 April 2021 - 12:29 PM

Instructions for alt-az on astromart

• dwyer2bp likes this

#21 dwyer2bp

dwyer2bp

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 April 2021 - 02:50 PM

I will be trying the alt-az setup too. I have found a replacement pin for one of the counterweights so I can properly use the mount with the C8.

I saw ADM has a saddle for this mount too so I can stick with the V dovetail. I put out an ad on CN for one.

• gnowellsct likes this

#22 telesonic

telesonic

Viking 1

• Loc: SW Idaho

Posted 15 April 2021 - 09:29 PM

The old Vixen Super Polaris is a great classic mount, no doubt about it, at all. They were probably Vixen's best at the time, maybe other than the GPDX IIRC.

I have 1 and 3/4 SP's. One has been my main use mount for a few years, and I bought another one minus legs and hub / polar scope for parts if ever needed.

There are a few things to note about the SP I've learned from other folks on here, and some through trial and error myself:

1.) Sometimes you will get one of these, and it will have a bent worm gear - it's fairly common, if you have one of the rigid slow-motion stalks on it... and bang it on a door, or anything like that, it will bend. They are brass, and fairly soft. Just beware, in case you want to add a stepper motor to it later. A bent gear is no fun when trying to add a stepper and it's gears / clutches, but it's usually no big deal if just using the manual slow motion controls.

2.) Stepper Motors -  there are two versions of these, the older one being a 5 pin and the newer ones are an 8 pin. 5 pins are usually called MD-5 and 8 Pin ones are MT-1. Also, there were a few different controllers based on the pinout. There were also a few different ratios on the steppers themselves..... all in all, it's a very lengthy ordeal - but most of this can be researched on the internet.

A.) If you get a controller and motor setup for one of these (they can be found on the classifieds here) they are center negative on the power adapter. Make note, and don't let the magic smoke escape.

B.) There are still companies (last I checked) that can build drive systems for these mounts. One is AWR in the U.K. and I think there is another, but I don't recall the name.

Sidenote ~ I had AWR build a dual axis controller for my SP and 1/300 OEM steppers a few years ago. Kinda pricey, but worth it.

3.) As gnowellsct noted in post #19 which, BTW is a very good post! bow.gif

Yes, you can get hardware for DSC's, it's definitely out there. I put a New old Stock set on my SP, totally worth it! (if you'd like the name, PM me.... as he is retired and may still have some in his inventory.)

As long as you don't hang a ton of weight on it, you'll be fine. I'll admit that I do have a Go-To CG-5 that I enjoy, but the simplicity of steppers with a good DSC setup works just as well, maybe if not better. Way better if I want to Keep it Simple Stupid.

My SP usually hangs out on it's stock wooden tripod, for quick sessions. But, I did like it so much that I built a pier for it, and bought another for spare parts. Oh, and if you email Brian at Vixen.... you may be able to get a newer Polar Scope reticle for it. One from a GP or whatever newer model they had a few years ago will fit. I did it to mine also. (actually my avatar picture at the moment.)

So that, my friends, is my longwinded experience with the Vixen Super Polaris. It's not the definitive on it, just sharin' some knowledge.

Cheers,

T

Polar scope reticle:

Vixen SP polar finder replacement reticle test

SP on the yard pier:

Yard Pier

• dwyer2bp likes this

#23 jurdea

jurdea

Lift Off

• Loc: Centennial, CO

Posted 23 April 2021 - 08:22 PM

The Super Polaris is fully upgradeable to a GoTo mount and at a reasonable price.  Check out AstroGadget.com for their Super Polaris package which is available for less than $300 including shipping.  I went that route and have had several enjoyable sessions with the newer unit.  The installation was not difficult although I did a few simple mods to the kit with a file to make sure the motors would not come loose with time.  The new stepper motors drive the worms through toothed belts and have proven to be reliable and accurate.  Each motor is plugged into a controller which is wirelessly interfaced to the SynScan app which I run off of an Android tablet.

An old dog has learned some new tricks....

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0555.JPG

• dwyer2bp likes this

#24 akvik

akvik

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 April 2021 - 08:52 AM

Dear CAT buffs,

I recently bought a pair of Celestron SCTs. When picking it up the owner gifted me practically everything they owned, including an old GEM. I setup the GEM once and thought 'yikes'. Then I set it up again and took the time to tighten down some things and actually put the C8 on top and thought it is actually very clean and sturdy. It even has a motor on each RA and DEC axis (each with their own old-school looking connector interface). You can de-clutch those motors and use the slow motion knobs and it seems to work flawlessly.

After doing some googling: Is this a Celestron Super Polaris C8? The C8 has no sticker indicating coatings (so there must not be coatings) and even does not have print written on the front ring that keeps the corrector plate in, so I figure this is most likely a "super c8" but I'm not an expert.

gallery_308122_16542_2159914.jpg

Link to more photos: https://www.cloudyni...per-polaris-c8/

Thanks for help ID-ing the scope and mount,

Brian

Nice - I have the exact same setup - bought it used and very happy with it!

#25 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 24 April 2021 - 07:09 PM

Dual axis motors on an SP are scarce as hen's teeth due to the need for a special bracket to hold the dec motor in place.  

Don't sell off this Super Polaris thinking you'll be able to get one back with dual axis motors.

All that said, I haven't used my SP in years because the G11 just is so much nicer.  It doesn't take much longer to set up, if at all, and having to fidget with all those clutches gets really annoying after awhile.  

There are two sets of clutches, one to slew the mount long distances, and the other on the motors to use the paddle control.  So that's four clutches.    

A very well made light duty mount and if you get used to it, it's great.  But it's hard to go back to those clutches once you've tasted life without them.

Greg N

• telesonic likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics