•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mount Clearance Issue with HEQ5Pro, WO GT81 and ASI294MM Pro

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 seanboon

seanboon

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 April 2021 - 02:29 PM

Just went out to check on my camera's work for the night on M109.    I found my camera bumped up against the mount as it looked like it couldn't clear the mount when the object was way up overhead.   Are there solutions that don't require me to just push the imaging train up the dovetail further to avoid the mount.  I'm worried that will get the balance wrong and throw my guiding off.

Attached Thumbnails

• thumbnail_IMG_3077.jpg

#2 spacemunkee

spacemunkee

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio

Posted 12 April 2021 - 02:39 PM

No pro here, but isn't that what slew limits are for? Doesn't look like you can go forward much more anyhow! I'd be concerned about one of those spaghetti cables snagging and tearing something up. Been there, done that! shocked.gif

#3 Faris

Faris

Vendor-Astronomical Solutions Co.

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 12 April 2021 - 02:49 PM

It seems to me like an issue with the tripod. I had the same issue ages ago with the AVX. I also have it with the Losmandy G11 when I use a long refractor.

I think you have two options:

1. https://www.firstlig...nsion-tube.html --- This is a pier that should raise the mount and avoid the OTA collision with the tripod. 

2. Get a longer dovetail and balance the OTA on the DEC axis to avoid problems with guiding. 

BTW the AZEQ5 has a pier and using it helped me overcome the problem. I think you may find that the pier idea is a better long term solution. 

#4 psuaero

psuaero

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Ellicott City, MD

Posted 12 April 2021 - 04:00 PM

Maybe I misread something or misinterpreted the orientation but if the camera was all the way down near the mount then shouldn't you have performed a meridian flip?

#5 seanboon

seanboon

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 April 2021 - 09:37 PM

Maybe I misread something or misinterpreted the orientation but if the camera was all the way down near the mount then shouldn't you have performed a meridian flip?

I'm pretty sure that the meridian flip was supposed to happen.   I'm almost positive I had it programmed on the ASIAir Pro but that was a thought I had as well.  I'm going to try and catch it tonight to see what it does.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics