•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Wind.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Borodog

Borodog

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 April 2021 - 04:18 PM

Still learning. Latest issue is wind. It causes the film of the solar filter to "flap" in and out, which is all it takes to make flats useless. My first though was to use a dew shield, but (making my living from fluid dynamics) I am not convinced that will eliminate the problem. A solid dew shield in cross flow will generate low pressures in the shield which could still result in the film flapping. I have an idea for a mesh shield, similar to a dew shield but porous. A mesh wind shield would reduce impingement and cross flow, but also reduce the resulting pressure difference across the film (which is what causes the flapping).

How do you deal with wind with a film solar filter, and am I overthinking it? Is there a simpler solution? Other than, "Don't image when it's windy, dummy." :O)

#2 DLuders

DLuders

Soyuz

• Loc: Spokane, WA

Posted 12 April 2021 - 05:28 PM

There are (somewhat pricey) Glass Solar Filters that won't flap in the wind.

• Borodog likes this

#3 Borodog

Borodog

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 April 2021 - 06:13 PM

I have read that the glass filters are not as good as the film ones and should be avoided?

• hopskipson and Bagwell like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics