•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Foam interior for eyepieces?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Gschnettler

Gschnettler

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Cincinnati Ohio

Posted 12 April 2021 - 04:59 PM

I already have a plastic case. Where is the best place to get good quality, reasonably priced foam to organize and secure my eyepieces?

Also, is it a good idea to get pick apart foam, or is there a better option?

#2 DLuders

DLuders

Soyuz

• Loc: Spokane, WA

Posted 12 April 2021 - 05:26 PM

Pick and Pluck Foam comes in a variety of sizes and thicknesses.  smile.gif

#3 Neptune

Neptune

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Georgia, USA

Posted 12 April 2021 - 05:50 PM

Try mycasebuilder.com (no affiliation).   Custom cut foam, fairly reasonable prices.

#4 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 12 April 2021 - 06:06 PM

The best foam out there is Kaizen foam that's available from many web sources and big box stores like Home Depot. It's relatively cheap, comes in different sheet densities, colors sizes and thicknesses and can be cut to fit even intricate shapes pretty easily. It's more configurable than pic-and-pluck and more robust too. I like to use a few layers I cut individually as it's easiest for me to do and get good fits. A white middle layer makes it easy to see the cutout shapes when replacing items in the dark. I still use the regular closed cell eggcrate foam for case lids. It too is widely available in different densities and thicknesses. Kaizen foam is made to be cut to size and hold tools, etc. as part of industrial systemic quality organization.

Before settling on Kaizen foam I've used what came in various cases including Pelican, pic-and-pluck, MyCaseBuilder.com, generic closed cell and other foams. I have a new Pelican vault case that now has the original Pelican foam but as soon as I get the configuration right I'll order Kaizen foam and be done.

• Jon Isaacs, CeleNoptic, Orion68 and 4 others like this

#5 teashea

teashea

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Posted 12 April 2021 - 06:18 PM

I already have a plastic case. Where is the best place to get good quality, reasonably priced foam to organize and secure my eyepieces?

Also, is it a good idea to get pick apart foam, or is there a better option?

Amazon

#6 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 13 April 2021 - 04:18 AM

I agree with Dick, the Kaizen foam is the best. I used to use pluck foam but it's inherently weaker and heavier eyepieces like the 31mm Nagler caused it to disintegrate quite rapidly.  Since switching to Kaizen foam 5 or 6 years ago, it's remained like new.

Jon

• Orion68 and wrvond like this

#7 fishonkevin

fishonkevin

Vanguard

• Loc: Michigan

Posted 13 April 2021 - 06:18 AM

Kaizen Foam   , I've used pick-n-pluck until now and it breaks down over use..  kaizen is much more sturdy.

https://kaizeninserts.com/

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#8 CeleNoptic

CeleNoptic

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mid-Atlantic, Bortle 7

Posted 13 April 2021 - 10:39 PM

FASTCAP Kaizen Foam 57 mm Black

Acoustic Foam 2-1/2" x 24" x 18" UL 94

#9 Bob4BVM

Bob4BVM

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: W. Oregon

Posted 14 April 2021 - 01:32 AM

I use any good firm closed cell foam in bottom to support EPs, and a softer foam in top of case to secure & cushion EPs when case closed

If you choose to insert EPs vertically like i do, then make a couple circular foam cutters- 1.25 drain pipe for 1.25 EPs,  tomato paste can for 2" EPs. Sharpen edges of metal with file, push into foam and twist tool. Makes perfect round holes for snug EP fit !

I use a layer of foam under holed out center foam to cushion bottoms of EPs

CS

Bob

IMG_4111s.jpg IMG_4110s.jpg

• BradFran likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics