•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Happy Crossover Day!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ~RA~

~RA~

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Central Texas

Posted 12 April 2021 - 05:11 PM

Hi All,

I Finally ordered my LS50 starter kit today, and I'm really excited and looking forward to receiving the gear. Lunt was kind enough to remove the cost of the CG-4 from the package, since those are on back-order through October. I'll still need one (or something like it) eventually, but for now I have a simple AZ that should do.

This is a belated birthday gift to me from my family, so heartfelt thanks goes out to them.

Crossover Day is a reference to my own system of solar observances that I concocted earlier this year. If I've done my reckoning right, April 12th this year is the first time the sun is at the position where the analemma self-crosses. So today could also be called First Crossover, with Second Crossover being August 29.

In addition to the solstices and equinoxes, aphelion and perihelion, and the Cross-Quarter Days that some traditions observe, I've identified a number of other stations on the analemma that I think are worthy of note. Not trying to start a new religion, just more of a nerdy preoccupation.

Happy to share more details if anyone's interested, and would welcome corrections if my approach is off.

~RA

• rigel123, BinoGuy, MalVeauX and 5 others like this

#2 astro rocketeer

astro rocketeer

Viking 1

• Loc: Valencia, CA (Los Angeles)

Posted 12 April 2021 - 05:22 PM

Congratulations RA!

• ~RA~ likes this

#3 Jaimo!

Jaimo!

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: 3rd Stone from the Sun

Posted 12 April 2021 - 05:31 PM

Happy new scope day!

snoopy2.gif snoopy2.gif snoopy2.gif

• ~RA~ likes this

#4 Paul Hyndman

Paul Hyndman

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Connecticut Shoreline USA

Posted 12 April 2021 - 05:55 PM

Congratulations.... but i heard April 12th has another distinction:

NATIONAL-GRILLED-CHEESE-SANDWICH-DAY-%E2

• Jaimo!, ~RA~ and ATL Gator like this

#5 John Miele

John Miele

Aurora

• Loc: North Alabama

Posted 12 April 2021 - 06:04 PM

I thought maybe it was the day when earned enough to pay all your taxes and the rest of your money was yours to keep!

Edited by John Miele, 12 April 2021 - 06:04 PM.

• rigel123 and ~RA~ like this

#6 Thomas Marshall

Thomas Marshall

Viking 1

• Loc: Spring Valley AZ.

Posted 12 April 2021 - 06:26 PM

I've been proposing for a few years, that the 1st "Crossover Day" be designated "Ja", and that the 2nd "Crossover Day" be designated "Vu", - so they could simply be called "The Days Ja-Vu".cool.gif

• AJamesB and ~RA~ like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics