•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NGC3718 Revision 4

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 12 April 2021 - 05:30 PM

I managed to capture a bit more colour data with the C14 for the NGC3718 image I'm working on. This has improved the colour quite a bit. I just need one or two more nights to complete the image. I will post to Astrobin when finally finished.

As always progress comments invited.

NGC3718_LRGB_REVISION2A_TOPAZ_CN.jpg

Edited by pyrasanth, 12 April 2021 - 05:44 PM.

• Mert, Scott Mitchell, CCD-Freak and 12 others like this

#2 Mert

Mert

Cosmos

• Loc: Spain, Pamplona

Posted 13 April 2021 - 10:59 AM

Certainly a big improvement on the color!!

I'm still clouded out and can not continue to add more data

to my version.

#3 stargzr66207

stargzr66207

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kansas, USA

Posted 13 April 2021 - 05:05 PM

Lookin REELY GOOD right now. It will be hard to improve on this. Great job!

Ron Abbott

• pyrasanth likes this

#4 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 14 April 2021 - 05:35 PM

Thanks Ron,

I'm working with Mert to capture a lot more LRGB data. We plan to combine our sets to see what the combined data will give us. I'm working tonight on adding another 12-14 hours of data from both the C14 and the RASA 11 and Mert is working with his scope to aquire more LRGB data. I reckon between the two of us we will have in the region of 80 hours of data to combine. With carefully processing between us it could come out even better.

I'm not too happy with the colour- it should be a bit more blue IMO and even when using PCC in PI it still came out with this slightly greenish/yellow tint which I don't find too pleasing.

#5 stargzr66207

stargzr66207

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kansas, USA

Posted 14 April 2021 - 05:42 PM

Actually, 3718 isn't that blue. Check out a lot of the observatory images, as well as past APODs.

I think your color rendition is pretty close. On my two shots of it, it definitely has a WARM color.

Ron Abbott

• pyrasanth likes this

#6 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 14 April 2021 - 05:54 PM

Actually, 3718 isn't that blue. Check out a lot of the observatory images, as well as past APODs.

I think your color rendition is pretty close. On my two shots of it, it definitely has a WARM color.

Ron Abbott

Hi Ron- I checked a few web shots and indeed it does look pretty close- I guess I'm not so used to seeing such warm colours in Galaxies. What I am trying to improve is to make the faint edges of the Galaxy smoother without using artificial means and that can only come from more data improving the overall SNR- I think after tonight and with the additional of Mert's data we may well have enough to produce the finished image.

#7 Mert

Mert

Cosmos

Posted 15 April 2021 - 05:41 AM

Tonight a bit of a disaster, clouds rolling in unexpectedly.
So instead of 7 hours I only got 3 hours worth.
This night looks better so I will try again

Edited by Mert, 15 April 2021 - 05:42 AM.

• pyrasanth likes this

#8 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 15 April 2021 - 11:24 AM

Tonight a bit of a disaster, clouds rolling in unexpectedly.
So instead of 7 hours I only got 3 hours worth.
This night looks better so I will try again

I managed 7 hours on the C14 and 7 hours on the RASA however I have clouds now and it does not look like it will clear but here's hoping. I've upscaled the RASA subs to the same image scale as the C14 against the C14 crop and registered them all with the previous data sets so about 20 hours in LUM and 10 hours in RGB at a rough count.

I'm doing a quick test today with the 30 hours of data I now have. I will package up and share with you Mert over the weekend- we should have a nice block of data between us- the RGB is now looking very smooth with the extra 7 hours between the filters that I grabbed last night- I put a double capture into the blue filter last night which seemed weak looking at the blue stack from previous nights and that has balanced the colour really well when using PCC in PI.

I will post the new test result when I'm done.

#9 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northeast USA

Posted 15 April 2021 - 09:04 PM

This is a really tough target to image. Looking very nice though! 

If you just hit it with a dose of SCNR (PI) or HLVG (PS) that green will tame down and whats underneath looks very nice.  Looking forward to your combined final result!

Capture.JPG

Edited by ChrisWhite, 15 April 2021 - 09:05 PM.

• j.gardavsky likes this

#10 Mert

Mert

Cosmos

Posted 17 April 2021 - 03:16 AM

Hi Mark,

Just dropped you a private with the links to the final image

and to the unprocessed light polution removed stack of

my RC8 data. ( 24 hours )

Hope to see the combined image!!

Stay well,

Mert

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics