•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Should I worry about coma on fast newt and ASI183?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jkaiser3000

Jkaiser3000

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Caracas

Posted 12 April 2021 - 05:33 PM

Hi,

I have the option of locally sourcing a used Orion 8” astrograph. The scope comes barebones: no coma corrector or collimator. I’m hoping to get into DSO imaging with it and plan on using an ASI183 camera so, should I worry about coma on such small sensor (compared to APS-C or full frame)? Is there any way I could simulate the appearance on an image? 

Maybe I should’ve started with this question but, is this scope a good option for starting in AP? It’ll be riding on a losmandy gm811 mount so that “should” be no problem. My reasoning was, it’s about the same price as a good 80mm refractor but, much faster and with a bit longer reach for smaller objects. That is, as long as I don’t need to account for a coma corrector lol.gif

So, thoughts on this?

thanks

#2 mashirts

mashirts

Viking 1

• Loc: Elgin, TX

Posted 12 April 2021 - 05:41 PM

On their field if view calculator I match up the sensor diagonal view with an eypiece view and use an eyepiece to see what the sensor will see.

https://astronomy.to.../field_of_view/

#3 Jkaiser3000

Jkaiser3000

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Caracas

Posted 12 April 2021 - 06:12 PM

Thanks mashirts. I used that site extensively when I was deciding what camera to get and, still use it to drool at what I coulda, shoulda woulda got if money were no issue lol.gif

Sadly it doesn’t show what the effects of coma on such a fast scope are for a smallish sensor. I’d rather know before i spew out the 400 bucks for the scope wink.gif . I’m debating on whether I should get this scope or a small refractor. Decisions decisions, the bane for us geminis bawling.gif

#4 LuscombeFlyer

LuscombeFlyer

Explorer 1

• Loc: Lakeland, FL

Posted 12 April 2021 - 06:17 PM

I think the Orion 8" astrograph is an outstanding choice in its price range. Though I'd suggest you'll probably want to invest in a coma corrector as soon as the budget allows. But as you're just getting started in AP, you'll have other challenges to overcome before want of a coma corrector becomes the limiting factor.

Also, Stellarium will allow you to enter the specifics of your telescope and sensor to see pretty much exactly what the FOV will be

#5 Stelios

Stelios

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 12 April 2021 - 06:59 PM

aybe I should’ve started with this question but, is this scope a good option for starting in AP? It’ll be riding on a losmandy gm811 mount so that “should” be no problem. My reasoning was, it’s about the same price as a good 80mm refractor but, much faster and with a bit longer reach for smaller objects. That is, as long as I don’t need to account for a coma corrector lol.gif

IMO you will need collimation tools, a coma corrector, and possibly more (I don't know the exact scope you are getting, if it is an "astrograph" it *should* have an adequate focuser and rigid enough body (*should* is the operative word here). 

The scorned small ED refractor + flattener is simple and wonderful. Sometimes the common advice has it right.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics