•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade LX65 BAD EXPERIENCES

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Giorgos

Giorgos

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Athens, Greece

Posted 13 April 2021 - 04:37 AM

Hi all!

Last August I ordered a Meade LX65 mount from a european vendor in Germany as it was on sale (500 instead of the regular 600€ price plus 40€ shipping cost to Greece). The mount arrived intact and for a couple of times it seemed to work ok and then... during my third observing session the problems started. It began spinning crazy in altitude during the two star alignment procedure (I had to switch it off to prevent damage by the telecope hitting the mount). I tried a dummy alignment withing the house and the same problem occured again it kept up spinning for minutes(!!!) before I had to switch it off.

I send an email to the vendor requesting an RMA. They replied with a voucher coverning the 40€ shipping cost to Germany and a note that the replacement would have a delay of 3 weeks cause of the pandemic I replied it was ok.

I received my new (?) mount and because of many months of cloudy nights and everyday chores I just used it last night and encountered the same problems. Also I suspect they sent me the same mount without even repairing it...

Sent a new email as it is still under warranty and I hope that I may receive a working mount this time but to be honest I dont hope much...

I suspect I just lost 500€.... 

Edited by Giorgos, 13 April 2021 - 06:50 AM.

#2 michael8554

michael8554

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wiltshire UK

Posted 13 April 2021 - 06:05 AM

Sounds like a problem with your power supply, if it was in fact a different mount.

Check the serial numbers, should be on the invoices.

#3 Giorgos

Giorgos

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 April 2021 - 06:46 AM

I tried both battery and power supply. Same problem. I suspect they send me the same mount because of two reasons: I had forgotten to sent the little metal hook of the handbox to the vendor and the new (?) mount did not try to calibrate the motors after the first start as the old had done.

Edited by Giorgos, 13 April 2021 - 06:49 AM.

#4 Levant

Levant

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 23 April 2021 - 09:32 AM

Are you sure you selected LX65 from the list of Telescopes in the handbox menu? Because it can act strange if you had mistakenly selected LX90.

Also you may reset the handbox and update it if you did not try yet.

I hope it is not a Dec board problem. 

#5 Giorgos

Giorgos

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 April 2021 - 01:35 AM

The LX65 was already selected in the scope list. I reseted the handbox  a couple of times without any difference. I guess it is a board problem. Anyway it is under warranty and it should be either repaired or replaced without any additional cost. In the meanwhile I received a voucher from the seller and I have already shipped it back to Germany... I am waiting and hoping to receive a working mount at last.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics