•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Televue Pronto vs. ED 80mm f/7

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Mihai

Mihai

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Romania,Sibiu

Posted 13 April 2021 - 05:00 AM

Help me decide,please...I need a good,portable refractor...I can get a Televue Pronto (a very good acromat) in mint condition. Should I get it,or just buy one of the modern 80mm f/7 FPL 51 refractor?...they are priced very close. The Televue probably have worse CA,but...it's a Televue :)...I know their build quality it fabulous. Opinions ?

#2 Sandy Swede

Sandy Swede

Viking 1

• Loc: Delaware beaches

Posted 13 April 2021 - 05:11 AM

I have never heard of anyone complaining about their Televue scope, for what it's worth.  Buy the Pronto.  If you don't like it, it will be easier to sell and you shouldn't have to take a hit on the resale.  That being said, I would read as many reviews here and elsewhere concerning the Pronto as I don't think that the Pronto is optically up to the level of the TV 85mm.  If you can stretch it financially, get the 85.  As they say, "Cry once."  Just my opinion.  Others will have ones of equal value.

• Erik Bakker and roadi like this

#3 Bean614

Bean614

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 13 April 2021 - 05:48 AM

"I can get a Televue Pronto (a very good acromat)" ..........??????????

Who told you it's an 'acromat'?  (By the way, correct spelling is "Achromat")

#4 Mihai

Mihai

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 April 2021 - 05:53 AM

English is not my native language,sorry if I make any grammar mistake. I know that Pronto might have some ED glass,but from what I have read on reviews the modern ED refractors with FPL 51 glass or equivalent have better CA correction.
  • stevew and whosthebadman like this

#5 PKDfan

PKDfan

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Edmonton

Posted 13 April 2021 - 06:12 AM

Hi Mihai! I only had mine for a short while but it showed an excellent startest and had great polish as it was very good on dim deep sky objects. I loved it and would still have it but it was stolen. So I say get the Pronto!

Clear skies & Good seeing
Edit typo

Edited by PKDfan, 13 April 2021 - 06:13 AM.

• roadi likes this

#6 ichdien

ichdien

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 13 April 2021 - 06:16 AM

I owned a Pronto years ago and loved it, but it was NOT an apo.  Hence, "very good achromat" is a pretty accurate description, no matter how you spell it.

• scrane, Erik Bakker, roadi and 5 others like this

#7 Ben the Ignorant

Ben the Ignorant

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: At the center of the exploding Universe, where it is safe

Posted 13 April 2021 - 07:33 AM

If it's the used Pronto I am thinking of, the price is only a few euros from that of a new FPL-51 80mm doublet, but don't forget that the FPL-53 version of the 80mm costs only 80€ more. So the improvement in correction is so large, that coupled with the larger diameter, it might make more sense to choose the modern apo.

The build quality of Tele Vue has indeed a very good reputation (I had a 101 at home for weeks because a friend asked me to evaluate it) but the latest chinese or taiwanese apos have fine construction, too, with the advantage of truly apochromatic optics AND a fine-tune focuser, which the Pronto lacks.

So the question is, do you want the greatest possible views, or do you want the Tele Vue badge?

Edited by Ben the Ignorant, 13 April 2021 - 08:35 AM.

• Jon Isaacs, eros312, blakestree and 1 other like this

#8 Spikey131

Spikey131

Vanguard

Posted 13 April 2021 - 08:23 AM

It really depends upon your priorities.  You did not state your plans for the scope. If you are planning to do astrophotography or, if color free views of the planets and moon are important to you, a modern Asian made APO would be better.

If you are going to use it for solar use, DSOs and scanning the Milky Way, the color correction may not be so critical.

You probably don’t have a lot to lose by trying the Pronto.  They are very popular in the classifieds and sell quickly.

• scrane likes this

#9 Mihai

Mihai

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 April 2021 - 08:29 AM

It's only for visual. At this stage of my life (small kid,long hours job) I only have time for visual.
  • Rollo likes this

#10 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Voyager 1

Posted 13 April 2021 - 08:43 AM

It is kind of build quality and prestige versus larger aperture and color free high power views. I would go with a modern Apo, if for no other reason the kids could damage it and scratch the paint on that beautiful Pronto.

Now if it is for being in a living room view window, 70mm of aperture works well, and the Pronto is pretty enough to consider decorative furniture.

Scott

#11 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 13 April 2021 - 08:49 AM

The Pronto is a great little scope and excels at quick and wide views and easy travel. Under very dark skies, which it can be taken to easily, it is a deep sky stunner. Very easy to mount well too.

It is f/12 achromat-like in chromatic aberration, but at 1/2 the length. And the good samples are very sharp. You will probably like it. And if not, it holds it’s resale value much better than any of the similar priced modern new Chinese ED semi-apochromats.

Aperture wise, an 80-85mm scope is more capable. If at all possible, waiting until you can afford a TV85 is great advice.

• Rollo likes this

#12 Mitrovarr

Mitrovarr

Skylab

• Loc: Boise, Idaho

Posted 13 April 2021 - 11:17 AM

If it's the used Pronto I am thinking of, the price is only a few euros from that of a new FPL-51 80mm doublet, but don't forget that the FPL-53 version of the 80mm costs only 80€ more.

Assuming you mean the Orion 80ED you'll also need rings and a plate, so it's a greater price increase than that. Also, you'll want a new focuser, so even more $$.

The AT80ED and such already has good rings and a good focuser to start.

#13 Ben the Ignorant

Ben the Ignorant

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: At the center of the exploding Universe, where it is safe

Posted 13 April 2021 - 12:24 PM

No, I am talking about these:

https://www.teleskop...-P-focuser.html

https://www.teleskop...n-Objektiv.html

They are complete with rings, bar and a 2.5" rack-and-pinion focuser.

#14 Mitrovarr

Mitrovarr

Skylab

• Loc: Boise, Idaho

Posted 13 April 2021 - 12:28 PM

Ah, we don't really have that second scope over here.

Better glass for that small price difference with no downsides seems like a no-brainer.

#15 astrohamp

astrohamp

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 01:50 PM

My mid 90s Pronto does have CA and I notice it every time I take it out birding (visual and DSLR).  It is a bit of a 'tank' although since I had it signed by 'Al' himself I gotta love it even more.  Probably wouldn't be my first choice these days if I could find something available that was better.

• blakestree likes this

#16 blakestree

blakestree

Ranger 4

• Loc: Savannah, GA

Posted 13 April 2021 - 02:20 PM

No, I am talking about these:

https://www.teleskop...-P-focuser.html

https://www.teleskop...n-Objektiv.html

They are complete with rings, bar and a 2.5" rack-and-pinion focuser.

I would take one of these, over a Pronto, any day.

• eros312 likes this

#17 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 13 April 2021 - 02:21 PM

I had a pronto for a short time (got a crazy deal on it). It had a wonderful star test and was really sharp. Only issues I had with it were 1) it was a little back heavy (and heavy in general). 2) I had slight worry about having such an old lens and I know sometimes they would have issues over time. Although the one I had was in pristine condition.

So comparing this to a run of the mill 80 FPL51, hmmmm. I'd probably pick the pronto just because of the great optics. If you can find a higher quality 80mm scope, then maybe I'd go with that. At the time I sold mine I already had the Vixen 81s which was really good. So I didn't see a need to keep it. But the guy I sold it to was happy as it was nostalgic for him.

Not that you can really go wrong either way. Just depends on what 80mm you are specifically looking at.

#18 Reid W

Reid W

Apollo

• Loc: Shreveport, LA

Posted 13 April 2021 - 02:37 PM

I hope no-one is monitoring my writing skills.  Took me three tries to pass freshman English....and I'm from Texas.

Anyway, if the o.p. can acquire an 80mm fpl53/lanthanum for approximately the same cost, then I would suggest that choice.

#19 25585

Voyager 1

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK. Dark end of the street.

Posted 13 April 2021 - 02:40 PM

I gave my Pronto to my brother as I have a TV 85 now. The 85 is equal to an ED80 doublet, almost an apo, but the Pronto was inferior to both. The TV 85 because I was fond of my Pronto.

If I wanted another 80mm, I would buy a pre-owned Vixen ED or SD81 (Japanese made model, not "f").

Edited by 25585, 13 April 2021 - 02:42 PM.

• Nippon likes this

#20 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 April 2021 - 06:25 PM

I gave my Pronto to my brother as I have a TV 85 now. The 85 is equal to an ED80 doublet, almost an apo, but the Pronto was inferior to both. The TV 85 because I was fond of my Pronto.

If I wanted another 80mm, I would buy a pre-owned Vixen ED or SD81 (Japanese made model, not "f").

I can vouch for the Vixen 81s. It's a great scope. I ended up selling mine recently as I needed some money and I found I will normally just use my 103s. But I can say the 81s I had was great. One of the few scopes I purchased new (though it was on a really good sale).

• 25585 likes this

#21 2112_Mike

2112_Mike

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kuna Idaho

Posted 13 April 2021 - 10:36 PM

I really like my AT80.  Build quality is excellent.  Never seen a Pronto first hand but I'm sure it is great,

Slightly more aperture with the AT.  

Great focuser, rings, dove tail and retractable dew shield.

Works great on a Vixen Porta mount.  

My unscientific evaluation of its performance - in other words, views through it that have been memorable include:

The Orion Nebula (Pentax 40mm, Ethos 10mm, Delos 6mm)

Castor and Epsilon Lyra (Delos 6mm, Paradigm 3.2mm)

Veil Nebula (UO 32mm Erfle OIII filter, Ethos 10mm)

M51, M81 & 82 (Ethos 10mm, Meade 20mm UW)

Pleiades, Double Cluster, M35 and various other open clusters.

Moon for sure...

I have not owned it long enough to give it a good test on planets under good seeing conditions but I will.  Most likely I will be evaluating it against my other AT on order, the new AT80EDL..:)

• 25585 likes this

#22 RichA

RichA

Gemini

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 14 April 2021 - 12:21 AM

Help me decide,please...I need a good,portable refractor...I can get a Televue Pronto (a very good acromat) in mint condition. Should I get it,or just buy one of the modern 80mm f/7 FPL 51 refractor?...they are priced very close. The Televue probably have worse CA,but...it's a Televue smile.gif...I know their build quality it fabulous. Opinions ?

What you will find is that the ED will provide a blacker, more contrasted background on starfields plus it will have less colour than the Pronto on anything else. I compared a TV76 to a Pronto, the 76 was markedly better.

• Erik Bakker and 25585 like this

#23 25585

Voyager 1

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK. Dark end of the street.

Posted 14 April 2021 - 05:48 AM

Review of a TV 76 v Tak FS 76. http://scopeviews.co.uk/TV76.htm

#24 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 14 April 2021 - 06:58 AM

My two cents:

I owned a Pronto for a number of years. Nice build, decent optics but definitely not an ED scope.

I would choose an 80 mm F/7 ED over the Pronto for at least three reasons:

- Better color correction. An FK 61 doublet will be much better than the Pronto. An FPL-53 doublet will be better than that.  Digiscoping,  afocal imaging of birds, the CA ruined many shots. That doesn't happen with ED scopes.

- Greater aperture: 70 mm versus 80 mm is significant, 14% better resolution, 30% more light. 

- This is why I'd never buy a used Pronto:  the early Prontos were cemented doublets and they are old enough that they problems with the cementing are showing up. Fixing this is not easy and represents a potential for real problem. It's not worth the risk. 

Jon

• Terry Smith, gnowellsct, RichA and 1 other like this

#25 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 April 2021 - 08:02 AM

- This is why I'd never buy a used Pronto:  the early Prontos were cemented doublets and they are old enough that they problems with the cementing are showing up. Fixing this is not easy and represents a potential for real problem. It's not worth the risk. 

Jon

That was my worry with the Pronto I got a great deal on. It was fine now, but I was worried long term. 

It did have great optics though. I was pretty impressed by it actually. For what it was it did a great job. But if someone can get a 80mm with decent optics and better correction it should be better. Getting the decent optics would be a key consideration.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics