Once more we had good seeing here and I was able to use powers of x375 and particularly x600 to examine Mars. I was pleasantly surprised at just how much detail remains visible on the tiny Martian disk which now only subtends an apparent diameter of 5.0" ! The main points of interest were:
- Brightening at the SPR- also some vague shadings nearby.
- Both Electris and Eridania were visible and brighter than the darker albedo features nearby.
- The Mare Cimmerium was the main feature on the disk- the region close to the prec limb was notably darker and looked like a darker patch distinct form the rest of the region.
- Further north, it seemed to me that Trivium Charontis and Cerberus were fairly well defined. Aksi darker markings in Chaos and Hyblaeus, although the shadings here were not as obvious as those of Trivium and Cerberus.
- Further dark marking near to Phlegra- could this be Propontis I?
- NPC bright and well defined, a darker band evident immediately south of the cap.