•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

LX200 Classic Remote Pointing Accuracy Issue

Mount Equipment Meade
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kranky

kranky

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 13 April 2021 - 10:12 AM

Hi all, looking for help/suggestions on an issue I'm having when trying to point an LX200 Classic Fork Mount using the latest Meade Generic ASCOM driver.

First let me say that using only the hand control, the mount points perfectly and consistently.  So I know it's capable.

When I connect to the mount (I'm using Cartes du Ciel a.k.a. Skychart) it connects up without issue and shows accurately in CdC where the mount is pointing.  All is good.

My issue however is when I try to command a slew using CdC.  I choose a nearby object by clicking in the map with the mouse and then either press the "Slew" icon in the toolbar or right clicking and choosing "Slew to object XXXX".  It's at this point the scope slews in a randome direction, but by an amount that is likely close to the distance it would have slewed had it been the right direction.  The mount location in CdC also shows it didn't slew to where I asked.  But I am unable to confirm at this point whether the mount's actual location is still accurately reporting to CdC because it's generally a random star field.  I repeat trying to slew to a specific known object using CdC, but the mount slews in a random direction.  It's clearly lost.

I have to disconnect CdC, and start the mount alignment procedure over again using the Hand Control which returns it to accurately and consistently pointing to objects.

So something is happening when CdC commands the mount to move and is driving it to slew to in random directions.  One thing I haven't confirmed is whether the long/lat or time/date get messed up after slewing with CdC.  I will verify this the next time I'm out.  But I suspect not because after realigning using the HC it works fine again.  I may also try Stellarium as an alternative to CdC just to see if it's software related.

FYI, the Meade Generic ASCOM driver setting I'm using is "High Precision" if that matters.  High precision is also enabled in the HC.  Reading up more on this I might turn that off.

Any ideas/help/suggestions would be appreciated on what might by causing this issue.

Kranky

#2 John Rogers

John Rogers

Viking 1

Posted 13 April 2021 - 10:46 AM

You do realize that "high precision" mode will slew to a nearby bright star, for you to re-center on first, before it goes to the selected target?

• Raginar likes this

#3 kranky

kranky

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 13 April 2021 - 10:51 AM

I know that now after reading the manual closer.  Will see next clear night if that resolves my issue.

The only thing that leaves me suspicious is that sometimes it would slew away from the direction of the object I wanted.  There were clearly nearby bright stars to go to in the direction of my object.  Of course now it's at least two days until the next clear-ish night to find out.  

Thanks.

#4 John Rogers

John Rogers

Viking 1

Posted 13 April 2021 - 11:09 AM

It uses a selected set of stars, so it might appear to slew away from your target, bit it should be the closest one in the catalog.  By the way, high precision works great for centering an object for photography.

Good luck!

• Raginar likes this

#5 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

• Loc: Pensacola, FL

Posted 13 April 2021 - 12:38 PM

It uses a selected set of stars, so it might appear to slew away from your target, bit it should be the closest one in the catalog.  By the way, high precision works great for centering an object for photography.

Good luck!

Another push for high precision mode.  If you're looking for a good time, center objects with high precision mode and use a DSLR on a high ISO setting and now exposures (5-10" max).  You'll be surprised what you see.

Otherwise, if you're imaging this way, just use plate solving to center the object.  Doing it by hand sucks.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mount, Equipment, Meade

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics