•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AT80ED with a ASI533MC - do I need a field flattener

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Mitrovarr

Mitrovarr

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: Boise, Idaho

Posted 13 April 2021 - 10:37 AM

I just ordered an ASI533MC-P for much better EAA and trying out some more serious imaging. For the more serious imaging, am I going to need a field flattener? And if so, which one should I use?

The AT80ED doesn't have a dedicated one as far as I can tell.
  • teashea likes this

#2 charlieb123

charlieb123

Mariner 2

• Loc: New York

Posted 13 April 2021 - 10:46 AM

Hotech SCA-FFT58 is a good quality FF for the AT80ED. 
works great on mine. 

• Stelios and teashea like this

#3 Forward Scatter

Forward Scatter

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Wandering the PNW

Posted 13 April 2021 - 11:38 AM

I have this one for my 72ED, which I got from Astronomics: https://www.astronom...refractors.html. There also is the 0.8X Reducer/FF that works very well for squeezing out a wider FOV which is nice for the big nebs, but is backordered.

There was some peripheral star coma on my 533, starting around 1/4 the frame from the edges. Not too bad, but then again we are perfectionists. This FF took care of it nicely and now the stars are really nice & round. 

Cheers, 

J

• Mitrovarr and teashea like this

#4 Stelios

Stelios

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 13 April 2021 - 02:03 PM

Hotech SCA-FFT58 is a good quality FF for the AT80ED. 
works great on mine. 

+1 for the Hotech. You will almost certainly need it, but you can determine it easily yourself--try without it and look at the corner stars. 

#5 Mitrovarr

Mitrovarr

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 13 April 2021 - 03:03 PM

Hmm, I like the idea of getting some reduction too, if possible. F/7 isn't the fastest.
  • charlieb123 likes this

#6 Forward Scatter

Forward Scatter

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Wandering the PNW

Posted 13 April 2021 - 10:22 PM

Hmm, I like the idea of getting some reduction too, if possible. F/7 isn't the fastest.

Beware....it could start the insidious slide into the hunger for even wider FOVs!  The single-minded obsession to squeeze the NA or Cal Nebs into a single image frame can never be sated. It hit me really bad. Now the days are left pining for the Cygnus Nebs to emerge from the horizon.

Cheers!, 

J

#7 kel123

kel123

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 13 April 2021 - 10:56 PM

Beware....it could start the insidious slide into the hunger for even wider FOVs! The single-minded obsession to squeeze the NA or Cal Nebs into a single image frame can never be sated. It hit me really bad. Now the days are left pining for the Cygnus Nebs to emerge from the horizon.

Cheers!,
J

I think he is more worried more about the speed than the field of view.

#8 kel123

kel123

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 13 April 2021 - 10:59 PM

I think it depends on your priority. The Altair 0.8 reducer can do the job but you should be ready to crop out the edges.

#9 ravenhawk82

ravenhawk82

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 13 April 2021 - 10:59 PM

I have this one for my 72ED, which I got from Astronomics: https://www.astronom...refractors.html. There also is the 0.8X Reducer/FF that works very well for squeezing out a wider FOV which is nice for the big nebs, but is backordered.

There was some peripheral star coma on my 533, starting around 1/4 the frame from the edges. Not too bad, but then again we are perfectionists. This FF took care of it nicely and now the stars are really nice & round. 

Cheers, 

J

I use both of these (albeit the older model AT field flattener) for both my AT80ED and AT6RC. Nice round stars across the whole field of my micro 4/3rds sensor, and when I still used a D610 the field flattener did a good job of taming the stars across almost the entirety of the full frame with the AT6RC. These are both great tools to keep around.

#10 Mitrovarr

Mitrovarr

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 14 April 2021 - 12:23 AM

I think he is more worried more about the speed than the field of view.

Yep. I'm just using an AVX and I don't have a guiding setup yet so we're definitely talking pretty short exposures. The next goal will be guiding, probably using my planetary camera (ASI224MC).

• Forward Scatter likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics