•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Edge 8 and Celestron OAG....Backfocus

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SandyC8

SandyC8

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Gallatin TN

Posted 13 April 2021 - 11:01 AM

Hi,

I have read all of the posts here about back focus and the Celestron OAG. I'm trying to set up my first OAG on my Edge 8 (or any other scope for that matter). So, I have no idea what I am doing. I decided to use a Celestron OAG due to the mirror size and the fact that it's seems to be designed with Celestron products in mind.  

I put together the following in the imaging train.: .7 reducer, the OAG, Starizona filter drawer and an ASI 294 MC. the guiding camera is an ASI 290.

I have done a direct measurement from the lip on the reducer back to 6.5 mm from the front of the camera. It measures (as best I can) 105mm.  Using Sharpcap during the daylight on a cell tower a mile or so away, both the primary and guiding camera focus. I haven't tried it at night yet.

I have included a picture of the imaging train.

Hoping for a few comments and opinions.....

Thanks......

Attached Thumbnails

• OAG.jpg

Edited by SandyC8, 13 April 2021 - 11:03 AM.

#2 nemo129

nemo129

Gemini

• Loc: WMass

Posted 14 April 2021 - 05:24 AM

It sounds and looks like you did everything right. For me, I usually set up a spreadsheet with the thickness of each imaging train component including the backfocus of the camera to get a idea of how I am doing for spacing, but it is not absolutely necessary. You just need a clear night to take a picture of a well focused star field and check the stars across the FOV. Good luck and clear skies!

#3 SandyC8

SandyC8

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Gallatin TN

Posted 14 April 2021 - 03:22 PM

The Starizona filter drawer is the one I used with my RASA 8......seems to fit perfectly.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics