•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

QHY294 C PRO - Gain/Offset - Flat Field using NINA Flat wizard

CMOS Refractor Astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dbologna

dbologna

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 April 2021 - 12:19 PM

Hi All,
I recently bought the QHY294C PRO CMOS camera and I'm looking for the right setup for Deep Sky photography. My old camera was a QHY8L CCD and I was quite comfortable using APT as acquisition software. Now the new camera is not supported by APT and I am using N.I.N.A.
Analyzing the graphs of the QHY294C PRO camera I identified the gain value at 1600 (low noise) with offset 0. With NINA's Flat Wizard I have generated two series of flats by setting 'Histogram Mean Target' first to 50% and then to 33% (of 65k ). Using the two flat sets I was not able to correct the lights, vignetting and dust spots are visible. Analyzing the flat files with Pixinsight's Statistc I get the following information:
a) single flat file 50% of FWC : mean = 33511, minimum = 556, maximum = 61416
b) single flat file 33% of FWC : mean = 22060, minimum = 532, maximum = 65476
Is there a procedure that allows me to understand if a flat file is correct and can be used to define a master flat for the correction of the lights? Verifying that the mean value for flat files is 50% or 33% of the full well capacity seems to be insufficient to define that a flat is correct. I am waiting for your suggestion.
Thanks
Dimitri

#2 dbologna

dbologna

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 April 2021 - 03:42 PM

Hi all,
I wanted to raise another problem with the QHY294 PRO camera, if you use it as gain 1600 and offset 5 the generation of a flat field at 50% of the FWC (per gain = 1600 the  FWC is 14300ADU). For these ADU values the exposure times are 0.3 seconds. It seems that the QHY294 PRO camera chip has problems generating images with sub-second time. Someone tried to generate the flat field for this camera.
Thank you
Dimitri

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CMOS, Refractor, Astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics