•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Zooming image in post processing

Astrophotography Imaging Imaging/Sketching Contest
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 torchilidae

torchilidae

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 April 2021 - 12:42 PM

Hi Everyone,

I am a beginner to the Astrophotography and i am looking if it's possible to zoom to an image after stacking the pictures without decreasing the resolution.

For example can i take multiple shots of a galaxy/planets in imaging sessions and then combine them together to improve the resolution of my image?

#2 kathyastro

kathyastro

Gemini

• Loc: Nova Scotia

Posted 13 April 2021 - 01:11 PM

Your basic resolution is determined by the image scale, which depends on the focal length and pixel size.  There isn't much you can do about that except to change equipment.

Stacking multiple exposures will not improve resolution.  It will however, reduce noise.

You can make a mosaic, which has several times the number of pixels that a single image does.  However, it does not change the image scale or the resolution.  Those remain the same as for a single image.

You can use drizzle processing to improve the resolution and image scale.  This depends on the data being good enough to support drizzle processing.

Basically, you can't manufacture data that isn't there.  If you actually captured high-resolution data, you can bring it out in processing.  If you didn't, it just isn't there.

• Berny and Skysmacker like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Imaging, Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics