•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mounts to handle my ultra heavy set up?

Astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ArandomPilot

ArandomPilot

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Winter Park, Colorado

Posted 13 April 2021 - 03:28 PM

I the market for my second and final telescope mount. My new camera arrived (SBIG STL-11000M) so I plan on putting it to good use with a Celestron Edge HD 9.25". The whole set up will use an OAG (since internal guide chip doesn't work). All and all, the whole set up, with extension tubes and everything, should weigh about 28lbs (21lbs for OTA, 5.25 lbs for camera with all 5 filters used, 2.75lbs for OAG and extension tubes). So I'm on the look out for used mounts old and new to handle the imaging equipment. I won't have the funds for such a mount until late June since I work part time as a Junior in high school.  

Recommendations for a fairly cheap mount ($2,000 range) that will handle this set up with ease. These are the mount's I'm thinking about purchasing:

Sky Watcher EQ-6R Pro: When all is installed, I will still be 15lbs under capacity for this telescope, of course then the counterweights might be it's ultimate downfall. 

Celestron CGEM Pro II: 14lbs under capacity when installed, concerns with the counterweights on the motors, same as EQ-6R pro.

Celestron CGX: Will be about 25lbs under capacity, but will be at the max of my budget. 

Celestron CGE: Will be 30lbs under capacity, the cheapest and oldest mount, but few can be found on CN. 

Those are the mounts I am looking at as of right now. I am open to other mount suggestions.

Thanks!

#2 DSOs4Me

DSOs4Me

Viking 1

• Loc: South Jersey

Posted 13 April 2021 - 03:59 PM

I run a CGEM-DX with around 40lbs with no problems.  I have seen a couple pop up here recently.

#3 AstroBrett

AstroBrett

Ranger 4

Posted 13 April 2021 - 04:32 PM

I think your main issue will be the long focal length with your Edge 9.25, and not the weight carrying capacity.  At that plate scale, accurate tracking without oblong stars will be the challenge. 

Brett

#4 Mano1

Mano1

Explorer 1

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 13 April 2021 - 04:36 PM

What about the CGE Pro.  Stated capacity is 90 lbs.  Going rate is about $2000.

Rob

#5 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 13 April 2021 - 04:45 PM

...  under capacity for this telescope, of course then the counterweights might be it's ultimate downfall. 

... concerns with the counterweights on the motors, same as EQ-6R pro.

Just want to point out that counterweights do not count when adding up the weight.  The stated capacity is for *your* gear only. 

Also, most of these mounts will perform best when they are substantially below their rated capacity.  Some people say you should only load to 50% capacity but I think that's a bit restrictive.  I would shoot for 60% or less if possible, and I would not go over 75%.  Especially with a 9.25" SCT which will be a challenge for these mounts.

-Dan

#6 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 14 April 2021 - 08:18 AM

The eq6r will outperform the mentioned celestrons in tracking accuracy. Just be sure to put it on a hefty tripod like a tri pier.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics