•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

EdgeHD Corrector Plate Removal reveals Poor Celestron Tooling ?

Celestron Equipment Optics SCT
  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 Andrew Brown

Andrew Brown

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: 56.4451° N, 3.1670° W

Posted 13 May 2021 - 10:24 AM

Sounds all too fimiliar with my queries around my chipped edges on a new secondary mirror. Perhaps Celestron QC isn't as high quality as we would be led to believe. Further to this the follow up support in rectifying these issues seems somewhat lacking.

We may have stumbled upon a trend here, is it a Halley's comet type production episode, this time under the disguise of a covid recovery programme?

#27 Jpurknz

Jpurknz

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 May 2021 - 12:40 AM

Sounds like it. I heard back from Celestron. It's within current tolerances. So basically live with it. Good on ya Celestron and TASCO Australia

#28 Andrew Brown

Andrew Brown

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: 56.4451° N, 3.1670° W

Posted 24 May 2021 - 01:03 PM

https://uncle-rods.b...-poor-emma.html

sealant again

#29 luxo II

luxo II

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 24 May 2021 - 06:17 PM

You don’t get what you pay for anymore

Nooo… he didn’t get what he didn’t pay for…

You won’t get Mercedes quality when you buy a Ford.

Edited by luxo II, 24 May 2021 - 07:09 PM.

#30 charlesgeiger

charlesgeiger

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 May 2021 - 02:25 AM

My 1977 C14 has a rather rough cut edge to the corrector.  I didn't find this out until I first cleaned the corrector on both sides about 20 years ago.  It works fine so it is OK.  My later C5 has a nice bevel all around its corrector and it also works well.  But no chips like what Jpurknz has to deal with on his new C14 Edge fastar secondary mirror.  I believe that unit should be replaced even if the optics are perfection.  He has several chips around the periphery of his fastar secondary but nothing on the optical surface but it seems very poor customer service to me with a new scope not to replace it especially in this era.

Charlie

#31 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

Posted 25 May 2021 - 02:29 PM

So... after summoning up the courage, I finally got around to removing the corrector plate on my 8” EdgeHD, cleaning necessary, really bad water stains on the interior of the corrector (made the mistake of leaving it outside under a supposedly breathable cover) .  I had been forewarned of the silicon sealing compound that Celestron for some reason believed was a necessary finishing touch to their ‘flag ship’ range of SCTs and dealt with it with my trusty Stanley knife.  However, on removing the corrector plate and cleaning away the excess silicon I was surprised to find very poor finishing along one edge of the corrector.  It looks for all the world like grip marks from tooling, I have no knowledge of the manufacturing process so this is just me adding 2+2.  I realise that regardless of the implied quality of the EdgeHD range, these are commercially manufactured optics, however it still struck me as poor quality control from Celestron.  Easy to disguise in this case, as they say ‘out of sight out of mind’.  Has anybody else found this with Celestron optics?

Kind Regards

Paul.

The optics of the Edge are good. And you get the mirror locks and the vents. But...IMHO...definite step down in build quality from pre Synta Celestron. :(

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Celestron, Equipment, Optics, SCT

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics