•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

EdgeHD Corrector Plate Removal reveals Poor Celestron Tooling ?

Celestron Equipment Optics SCT
  • Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#51 teashea

teashea

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Posted 02 July 2021 - 07:01 PM

I am rather surprised at the variability in manufacturing.  I would think that there would be more consistency with modern manufacturing processes.

• Old Speckled Hen likes this

#52 Old Speckled Hen

Old Speckled Hen

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 56.4451° N, 3.1670° W

Posted 02 July 2021 - 07:47 PM

I am rather surprised at the variability in manufacturing.  I would think that there would be more consistency with modern manufacturing processes.

Indeed it does rather put one "off" purchasing, at least during the covid "recovery", one of the mass produced instruments for the time being at least...

• teashea likes this

#53 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 02 July 2021 - 08:57 PM

Astrojedi. Regardless of the impact on the end product (already made the point that the shoddy workmanship does not materially affect the performance of the optics), but it is still shoddy workmanship. They even go to the extent of plastering silicon over the entire length of the affected section of the corrector edge. I realise that for most the ‘financial bottom line’ is uppermost in people’s minds, but does no one take simple pride in what they produce these days…?

While I understand what you are saying I think you are missing the point. At this price point you have to make trade offs. Having brought many products to market I can tell you these decisions are not easy to make. You need to prioritize function over unnecessary aspects which 99% of the users will never see.

But still there can be a lot of pride in bringing such fantastic performance to the market at this price point and making it accessible to so many who otherwise may not be able to afford it.

At the end of the day does it matter if it makes no difference to performance? To me it does not. I have been using SCTs for 20 years and owned many of them and I have never had the need to remove the corrector. I could not care less.

Edited by Astrojedi, 02 July 2021 - 08:58 PM.

• Mike G. likes this

#54 JuergenB

JuergenB

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Lilienthal, Germany

Posted 04 July 2021 - 07:37 AM

I do believe SKODA outshines Mercedes in the annual quality survey though..

https://www.whatcar....ive-cars/n20054

In every country, you will get different results. So you can see how these reviews or surveys are biased.

Juergen

#55 Old Speckled Hen

Old Speckled Hen

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 56.4451° N, 3.1670° W

Posted 04 July 2021 - 08:16 AM

In every country, you will get different results. So you can see how these reviews or surveys are biased.

Juergen

Address your reply to the originator of the market survey quotation.

#56 JuergenB

JuergenB

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Lilienthal, Germany

Posted 04 July 2021 - 09:38 AM

Address your reply to the originator of the market survey quotation.

No, I meant you because you seem to believe those car reliability surveys.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Celestron, Equipment, Optics, SCT

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics