•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Solar binoculars?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 CarolinaBanker

CarolinaBanker

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Eastern North Carolina

Posted 13 April 2021 - 05:20 PM

I’ve seen that Meade once made solar binoculars and that Lunt appears to make one as well, has anyone used them? Are they solely intended for eclipses or can they be used for normal solar viewing?
  • sevenofnine likes this

#2 photoracer18

photoracer18

Skylab

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 13 April 2021 - 05:42 PM

I have a pair of the old Coronado Bino-Mite 10x25 solar binos. While they are good for eclipses I mainly use them for a quick peek to see if there is anything on the Sun worth bringing out the big guns for. 10x25s are a little small for just watching the Sun. You can also make them by buying solar filters for each tube of whatever size binos you already have.

#3 sevenofnine

sevenofnine

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Rosa, California

Posted 13 April 2021 - 07:04 PM

Yes, they have permanent filters built into the binocular for safety reasons. Amateur astronomers buy or make filtration to fit over the oculars OR do as I do...take the 8 inch solar filter that came with my Dob and use that to cover both oculars. Works great, just be very careful viewing the Sun. waytogo.gif

#4 CarolinaBanker

CarolinaBanker

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 April 2021 - 08:06 PM

I have a pair of the old Coronado Bino-Mite 10x25 solar binos. While they are good for eclipses I mainly use them for a quick peek to see if there is anything on the Sun worth bringing out the big guns for. 10x25s are a little small for just watching the Sun. You can also make them by buying solar filters for each tube of whatever size binos you already have.

Is the issue more from the aperture or from the lack of magnification?

#5 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 14 April 2021 - 04:56 AM

I would suggest a regular pair of binoculars and quality solar filters.

edj

• BRCoz likes this

#6 ArsMachina

ArsMachina

Apollo

• Loc: Germany

Posted 14 April 2021 - 05:34 AM

This I would call a solar binocular:

20181215 113029

Jochen

• paulsky, BRCoz, acshaw80 and 1 other like this

#7 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 14 April 2021 - 06:13 AM

Please remember that binoculars need good quality solar filters safely attached to their objectives to view the sun safely. Unfiltered use of binoculars can damage the eyes of the observer irreversibly in seconds, leading to permanent eye damage or blindness!

• Foss likes this

#8 CarolinaBanker

CarolinaBanker

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 April 2021 - 06:37 AM

I would suggest a regular pair of binoculars and quality solar filters.

edj

It would appear to be substantially cheaper to go down this route. I looked around and was underwhelmed at the filters geared towards binoculars. Over at Orion the solar filters are housed in cardboard. With a solar binocular the filter is built in, presumably the balance is better and considering I’ve got 7x50s a compact binocular appears to be a good option.

#9 Katharine

Katharine

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 April 2021 - 08:19 AM

Has anyone here built their own solar filters for their binoculars?  (I've thought about fitting mine up just for occasional solar-viewing fun, though I'm not sure how much use 10x50s would be, either.  But pre-made filters are hard to find and often expensive when you do, which probably isn't worth it for the occasional dabble, so I've considered making my own...)

#10 Joe in Gatineau

Joe in Gatineau

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Gatineau Canada

Posted 14 April 2021 - 08:25 AM

I have both Celestron EclipSmart 10X25 & 10X42. The 42's are easier to look through with my eyeglasses on, and also make finding the sun a bit easier because of the wider field of view. The 25's are nice and small and easy to pack along, but difficult to use with eyeglasses (they don't provide enough "shade" because of their small size).

Both give nice crisp views of the sun. I like them because the filters cannot come off unexpectedly. Celestron doesn't carry them anymore, but I found them on Amazon.

My 2 cents.

#11 CarolinaBanker

CarolinaBanker

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 April 2021 - 08:46 AM

Has anyone here built their own solar filters for their binoculars? (I've thought about fitting mine up just for occasional solar-viewing fun, though I'm not sure how much use 10x50s would be, either. But pre-made filters are hard to find and often expensive when you do, which probably isn't worth it for the occasional dabble, so I've considered making my own...)

I considered that but the prices for compact binoculars hovers around 25 and up to 75 for full size, so I figured that it would likely be cheaper and less risk of a filter accidentally popping off.

#12 Grimnir

Grimnir

Apollo

• Loc: London, England.

Posted 14 April 2021 - 11:57 AM

Has anyone here built their own solar filters for their binoculars?  (I've thought about fitting mine up just for occasional solar-viewing fun, though I'm not sure how much use 10x50s would be, either.  But pre-made filters are hard to find and often expensive when you do, which probably isn't worth it for the occasional dabble, so I've considered making my own...)

Yes, it's very easy.

Graham

#13 Katharine

Katharine

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 April 2021 - 06:11 PM

I considered that but the prices for compact binoculars hovers around 25 and up to 75 for full size, so I figured that it would likely be cheaper and less risk of a filter accidentally popping off.

That would be my biggest thing-- making sure that the build and the method of attachment were very secure.

#14 CarolinaBanker

CarolinaBanker

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 April 2021 - 07:26 PM

That would be my biggest thing-- making sure that the build and the method of attachment were very secure.

I wound up getting the Celestron Eclipsmart 10x25. They’re a roof prism, Bak7 with integrated glass solar filters.

#15 Nicole Sharp

Nicole Sharp

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Cumberland, Maryland, USA

Posted 19 April 2021 - 02:49 AM

I would not recommend the Solar binoculars from Meade and Lunt.  Meade uses removable Solar filters which are less safe, and Lunt uses false-color Solar filters.  The best Solar binoculars in my opinion are from Celestron EclipSmart.  I just got the EclipSmart 10X25 and really like them.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics