•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Share your best aurora display

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Jure Atanackov

Jure Atanackov

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 April 2021 - 07:08 PM

Hopefully a discussion to help us get through this looong solar minimum. So - what is your most memorable aurora display?

Mine, in Slovenia at 41° N corrected geomagnetic latitude, was the November 20, 2003 geomagnetic storm. 8 hours of non stop aurora activity, reaching into the southern sky during the peak (60° high red curtains in the south!). A close second is the October 31, 2003 storm: made it almost to the zenith, but a much, much brighter display than the November one. Cycle 23 was quite generous, with a number of very good displays so far south - had a good display also on July 15, 2000, among others. At the time I never thought Cycle 24 would be so much worse, and that almost 18 years later I'd still be waiting for a repeat of the spectacle this far south. Or that seeing proper sunspots would become a rare event.

CS!Jure

• mikerepp, cbellh47 and ButterFly like this

#2 scopewizard

scopewizard

Messenger

• Loc: Alberta, Canada

Posted 13 April 2021 - 07:26 PM

Here is mine. In Alberta these are a pest. Some years we get them all the way to the zenith and south, every nights.

Attached Thumbnails

• Aurora1.JPG

Edited by scopewizard, 13 April 2021 - 07:27 PM.

• chrysalis, acommonsoul, mikerepp and 2 others like this

#3 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 15 April 2021 - 10:42 PM

The best auroral display that I've witnessed was on 9/7/2002, the final night of the 2002 Black Forest Star Party at Cherry Springs State Park in north central Pennsylvania.  Some of the rays were so bright that they looked like searchlights.  I took these two shots with a Pentax K1000 SLR film camera and a 50mm Pentax lens.

Attached Thumbnails

• Aurora 2002 Black Forest Star Party 9-7-2002 Reprocessed Resized 800 CN2.jpg

• chrysalis, acommonsoul and mikerepp like this

#4 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 15 April 2021 - 10:43 PM

(continued)

Attached Thumbnails

• Aurora 2002 Black Forest Star Party 9-7-2002 Vertical Reprocessed Resized CN.jpg

• chrysalis and mikerepp like this

#5 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 16 April 2021 - 01:17 AM

(continued)

Attached Thumbnails

• Aurora 3 BFSP 2002 Reprocessed Resized 1000 CN.jpg

• mikerepp likes this

#6 Rick Runcie

Rick Runcie

Vostok 1

Posted 16 April 2021 - 09:19 AM

I was there Dave in 2002. I went on a whim and that was when you could pay when you got there because BFSP was in its infancy. I had my 20 inch dobsonian aimed South and I was observing the southern Milky Way until I heard on the observing field Aurora Arc in the North. I turned around to see the most Vivid, impressive, colorful Aurora display of my life so far. I remember also the Fireballs falling while the curtains were lighting up the sky and everybody cheering and clapping. That event got me reading everything I could on Aurora's and as a result I saw the Magnificent displays on two different nights in October of 03 and on two different nights in November 04 also. Unfortunately that has been it since then so I am also hoping this solar maximum is a beneficial one for middle latitudes.
Best regards, Richard

#7 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 16 April 2021 - 01:00 PM

I was there Dave in 2002. I went on a whim and that was when you could pay when you got there because BFSP was in its infancy. I had my 20 inch dobsonian aimed South and I was observing the southern Milky Way until I heard on the observing field Aurora Arc in the North. I turned around to see the most Vivid, impressive, colorful Aurora display of my life so far. I remember also the Fireballs falling while the curtains were lighting up the sky and everybody cheering and clapping. That event got me reading everything I could on Aurora's and as a result I saw the Magnificent displays on two different nights in October of 03 and on two different nights in November 04 also. Unfortunately that has been it since then so I am also hoping this solar maximum is a beneficial one for middle latitudes.
Best regards, Richard

I saw quite a few auroral displays from Pennsylvania during the early 2000s.  Here's a shot of one that took place while a friend and I were observing from a dark site on the night of 11/20/2003.  

Attached Thumbnails

• Aurora West Green and Red Longfellow Road 11-20-2003 Reprocessed Resized 800 CN.jpg

#8 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 16 April 2021 - 01:04 PM

Here's another photo with Mars in the upper right.

Attached Thumbnails

• Aurora November 2003 Longfellow Road Reprocessed Resized.jpg

• mikerepp likes this

#9 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 16 April 2021 - 07:25 PM

I took this photograph in the spring of 2002 from a park close to where I lived at the time.

Attached Thumbnails

• Aurora Spring 2002 Chambers Hill Reprocessed Resized 900 CN.jpg

#10 Rutilus

Rutilus

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 17 April 2021 - 04:35 AM

Even though I live at quite a high latitude, the number of Auroral display I have seen over the last 50 years

can be counted on one hand. 

Here is a drawing I made of a bright display seen way back in the 1970's.

Attached Thumbnails

• Au-cn.jpg

• Dave Mitsky, chrysalis and mikerepp like this

#11 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 18 April 2021 - 12:53 AM

I took this photo of an auroral display from the Naylor Observatory in October of 2003.

Attached Thumbnails

• Aurora October 2003 Naylor Reprocessed Resized 900.jpg

• mikerepp likes this

#12 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 18 April 2021 - 01:03 PM

Here's another picture of an auroral display that I took at the Naylor Observatory in 2003.

Attached Thumbnails

• Aurora Green Naylor 2003 Reprocessed Resized 900 CN.jpg

• mikerepp likes this

#13 PKDfan

PKDfan

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Edmonton

Posted 21 April 2021 - 07:36 AM

_210421_061424_567.png

This red aorora was seen just after 9/11 in Grande Praire Alberta Canada. Late October if memory serves. It was so intense and while it was going on I literally could'nt believe what my eyes were seeing.

I had my medium format  system recently purchased and did not have it ready when this event happened and then it died away with me almost banging my head against a wall. I set up my camera with the hope maybe it'd begin again. Well it came back even more intensely, this time with yellow and green splashes of wonderous colour! The above was with my 55mm lens and about 14 seconds exposure with 100 iso Fuji film.

I have seen many great aurorae in my time but this was a lifetime best moment absolutely.

Clear skies & Good seeing

Edit typo

Edited by PKDfan, 21 April 2021 - 07:39 AM.

• Dave Mitsky and mikerepp like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics