•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Star Adventurer -- Polar Scope Illuminator

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 cameron12x

cameron12x

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio

Posted 13 April 2021 - 07:23 PM

Alas, I have lost or misplaced the extension for the Polar Scope Illuminator.  It is a terrible design for an otherwise good entry-level mount.

Is there a part number or any place to order a replacement?

Thanks in advance!

#2 qswat72

qswat72

Ranger 4

Posted 13 April 2021 - 07:32 PM

You could try contacting Sky-Watcher directly to see if they’ll sell you one. I have heard they are pretty good about that sort of stuff.

Edited by qswat72, 13 April 2021 - 07:33 PM.

• cameron12x likes this

#3 mjh410

mjh410

Explorer 1

• Loc: Tooele, UT

Posted 13 April 2021 - 07:41 PM

I don't even bother to use that thing. What I do instead is a bit awkward, but I use a red flashlight and while looking through the scope I shine the light towards the opening of the scope where you would put the illuminator but from off the side so it's not shining directly into the opening. This illuminates what I need to see while not blocking out my ability to see Polaris. Works for me and I don't need to mess with the illuminator or battery, and I always have a red flashlight with me anyway.

Perhaps that could work for you too and avoid tracking down another illuminator.

• Traveler likes this

#4 cameron12x

cameron12x

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 April 2021 - 07:45 PM

I don't even bother to use that thing. What I do instead is a bit awkward, but I use a red flashlight and while looking through the scope I shine the light towards the opening of the scope where you would put the illuminator but from off the side so it's not shining directly into the opening. This illuminates what I need to see while not blocking out my ability to see Polaris. Works for me and I don't need to mess with the illuminator or battery, and I always have a red flashlight with me anyway.

Perhaps that could work for you too and avoid tracking down another illuminator.

I could see that working, but isn't it a bit awkward?

#5 mjh410

mjh410

Explorer 1

Posted 13 April 2021 - 09:28 PM

It is, but it only for a few seconds then it's aligned and I move on. I also like to align it with the counterweight and mounting plate all attached. Sometimes even with my camera attached so it doesn't get bumped again after alignment. This mount is not very heavy and the tripod I have is a good one but also not heavy, not like a true astro mount for imaging. So, once alignment is done it's not hard to bump it a little bit attaching all the rest of the gear and knocking the alignment off and you can't get your fingers down in there through the mounting plate to place the illuminator if it needs adjusting. I don't know that the illuminator would fit if you left it attached and tried to put the mounting plate on afterwards so if it does get bumped you wouldn't be able to make any adjustments relying solely on the illuminator anyway. 

In my case I have a new mount on order and will only really use the Star Adventurer when on camping trips for camera only equipment when I can't haul my heavier/larger equipment. The limited use I will have with it and using a flashlight instead isn't too awkward or difficult for my needs.

• cameron12x likes this

#6 cameron12x

cameron12x

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 April 2021 - 09:45 PM

What red flashlight do you use?

#7 mjh410

mjh410

Explorer 1

Posted 13 April 2021 - 09:56 PM

This is the one I bought.

https://www.amazon.c...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• cameron12x likes this

#8 Brainebula

Brainebula

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 13 April 2021 - 10:00 PM

This is the one I bought.

https://www.amazon.c...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Funny, I just bought three of those last week! It's plenty bright with a single AA batt, and I love that it's single mode.

• cameron12x and mjh410 like this

#9 cameron12x

cameron12x

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 April 2021 - 10:13 PM

Thanks for the help.  I will buy one of those red flashlights (I needed one anyway).

And I will also reach out to Sky-Watcher.

#10 Traveler

Traveler

Soyuz

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 15 April 2021 - 10:46 AM

+1...in fact i use such a small red led light i got for free...

____Knipsel.PNG

Edited by Traveler, 15 April 2021 - 10:49 AM.

• cameron12x likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics