•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

One PC for two rigs?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jinux

Jinux

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Bay Area, CA

Posted 13 April 2021 - 08:02 PM

Not sure whether this is discussed here. I looked it up but couldn't find answer.

My usual workflow is typical NINA + PHD2 and I wonder what's the options for running two rigs.

1. Two totally separate rigs. : It seems I can launch two instances of NINA and two PHD2. And they may be able to run concurrently I guess. Or one rig use NINA+PHD2 on laptop and the other use Astroberry/EKOS 

2. Two cameras on a mount : This would be the setup for L/Ha on mono cam and RGB on OSC for the same target, putting aside how to match FOV... etc. One NINA can't capture from two cameras simultaneously. And if I use another NINA instance or other program, it can't synchronize target movement, guiding on/off during AF etc automated way overnight. Does anyone have experience on setting up this and shed some lights for me?

Thanks in advance!

Jinux

• PirateMike likes this

#2 PirateMike

PirateMike

Soyuz

• Loc: A Green Dot On A Blue Sea

Posted 13 April 2021 - 08:44 PM

Look into Voyage and their "Telescope Array" version of the program.

https://software.starkeeper.it/

Miguel   8-)

#3 Jinux

Jinux

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Bay Area, CA

Posted 14 April 2021 - 10:36 AM

Thanks for the tip! Took a look and Voyager is indeed what I'm looking for but.... I ditched ASIAir Pro not to depart from NINA. Not sure I'd like to move to Voyager and start new learning curve. Hm..

• PirateMike likes this

#4 terry59

terry59

Voyager 1

• Loc: Colorado, USA

Posted 14 April 2021 - 11:16 AM

For running two scopes/cameras on one mount, Sara Wager has a good page on her site

https://www.swagastr...-adventure.html

I run both of my rigs simultaneously and keep them completely independent of each other. The cost is higher but, for me, it is far easier this way. I set them up each time....no observatory

• PirateMike and Greg F like this

#5 PirateMike

PirateMike

Soyuz

• Loc: A Green Dot On A Blue Sea

Posted 14 April 2021 - 11:33 AM

Not sure whether this is discussed here. I looked it up but couldn't find answer.

My usual workflow is typical NINA + PHD2 and I wonder what's the options for running two rigs.

1. Two totally separate rigs. : It seems I can launch two instances of NINA and two PHD2. And they may be able to run concurrently I guess. Or one rig use NINA+PHD2 on laptop and the other use Astroberry/EKOS 

2. Two cameras on a mount : This would be the setup for L/Ha on mono cam and RGB on OSC for the same target, putting aside how to match FOV... etc. One NINA can't capture from two cameras simultaneously. And if I use another NINA instance or other program, it can't synchronize target movement, guiding on/off during AF etc automated way overnight. Does anyone have experience on setting up this and shed some lights for me?

Thanks in advance!

Jinux

The problem with running two scopes on a single mount is with dithering. If the two cameras are not synced to take a frame at the same time then dithering may move the scopes while the "slave" camera is still in process of taking a shot. If this happens enough then the reason for using two telescopes can be of little help.

Miguel   8-)

#6 Phishin_phool

Phishin_phool

Viking 1

• Loc: Ohio

Posted 14 April 2021 - 10:44 PM

Thanks in advance!

Jinux

So deja vue as I have been experimenting with aall 3 of these scenarios over the past 2 weeks - I have an eq6R-pro and a dual saddle holding a RASA 8 and either A William optics Z103 or WO Z71. I also HAve a Meade LX85 mount and have been trying NINA/PHD2 running it with my laptop and also NINA/PHD2 running the eq6r-pro rig with a dual saddle/scope set-up. I also have been trying rpi4 with Stellarmate(EKOS/KSTARS) on the meade lx85 and NINA/PHD running the eq6R-pro. I am still ironing out the kinks and early in the situation but the biggest difference is actually in what version of NINA you use. If you are using the old final release that has the old sequencer you can run 2 instances of NINA and dither - they will talk to one another and co-ordinate dithering. If you are using the nightly builds with the new complex sequencer that feature is no longer possible - too complicated to integrate at this point. Another difference which isn't a big thing other than ergonomics is that it may be easier to run NINA on a laptop and use a phone or tablet to control the raspberry pi unti so that you can concentrate on each one iondividually without gettting confused or having to switch windows. Also if you have separate mounts then if one has an issue with guidance, meridian fliip , PA or whatever the other won't be  affected by it and with 2 mounts and 2 different set-ups you can image different targets at the same time. 

It is still early in the game to draw any definitive conclusions but I see me using the double mount 2 NINA set-up to simultaneously shoot LRGB with 1 scope and SHO narrowband with another at the same target. And the 2 scope set-up when multiple targets are desirable and too tempting to pass up. Also for me the lx-85 set-up weighs about 1/3 what the eq6r-pro does making it great for portability. 

• Jinux and LauraMS like this

#7 Phishin_phool

Phishin_phool

Viking 1

Posted 15 April 2021 - 06:31 PM

You do not have to dither. I have never seen walking noise on my pics so I have not bothered with dithering for nearly all my sessions without noticing any issues

#8 pedxing

pedxing

Vanguard

• Loc: SE Alaska

Posted 15 April 2021 - 06:57 PM

You do not have to dither. I have never seen walking noise on my pics so I have not bothered with dithering for nearly all my sessions without noticing any issues

Not dithering means you can't drizzle. It isn't all about the walking noise.

#9 Phishin_phool

Phishin_phool

Viking 1

Posted 15 April 2021 - 09:02 PM

Not dithering means you can't drizzle. It isn't all about the walking noise.

Thank you for that I haven't been undersampled so I haven't drizzled yet (with 4 cameras to choose from tiny 183 up to full frame I have been able to match my scopes well)  - I have always wondered about it. I am still working on making sure I get good subs and process them well. With a new camera and fairly new scope (purchased in 2021 and not many sessions with it yet RASA8 at f/2.0) I still am working out best length subs for broadband, narrowband and at my house bortle 7 or dark site 1.5 hour away that is bortle 3-4. My processing needs even more work but I'm working my way through Adam Block's tutorials. APP has actually made things a good bit easier for me but as my skills improve PI gets more and more integrated into my processing. 

#10 RJF-Astro

RJF-Astro

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Zeist, Netherlands

Posted 16 April 2021 - 04:15 AM

Sorry I do not know about NINA, but I do know that Astro Photography Tool (APT) also support multiple instances/setups at the same time. It also has a solution for dithering.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics