•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Luminance Filter Instead of UV/IR Cut

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kel123

kel123

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 April 2021 - 08:24 PM

I have a luminance filter from the ZWO premium LRGB set. I was wondering if I should use it on my Asi533MC for broadband imaging instead of getting a new IR/UV filter.

It sure cuts IR, atleast according to ZWO but what about UV? Is there something I am missing?.

Meanwhile, I also have a GSO IR (only) blocking filter. Which of them is more ideal to use or would a dedicated IR/UV cut filter make more difference because of the UV line ?

Since I got my Asi533MC, I have concentrated on narrowband imaging. I have seen a lot of red....and some blue. It is begging for photons from galaxies and star clusters

Thanks.

#2 sdbodin

sdbodin

Vostok 1

• Loc: Eastern Washington State

Posted 13 April 2021 - 08:39 PM

That is what I use for my Asi1600MC-cool, a standard Lum filter for mono imaging that I had laying around, works perfect.

#3 xiando

xiando

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Cloudy NEOhio

Posted 13 April 2021 - 09:01 PM

Unfortunately I don't have access to all the graphs I used to have in order to check directly, (they're on a computer I can't access right now due to a bad mother board) , but isn't a luminance filter a UV/IR cut filter? (ie, aren't they both generally tasked with filtering out wavelengths below ~450(ish) nm and above ~700nm?

Edited by xiando, 13 April 2021 - 09:03 PM.

#4 kel123

kel123

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 April 2021 - 09:12 PM

That is what I use for my Asi1600MC-cool, a standard Lum filter for mono imaging that I had laying around, works perfect.

Great to know this. Thanks

#5 kel123

kel123

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 April 2021 - 09:16 PM

Unfortunately I don't have access to all the graphs I used to have in order to check directly, (they're on a computer I can't access right now due to a bad mother board) , but isn't a luminance filter a UV/IR cut filter? (ie, aren't they both generally tasked with filtering out wavelengths below ~450(ish) nm and above ~700nm?

Most times luminance filters are mentioned, it is mostly about cutting IR. I haven't heard much about cutting UV about them that I wonder. Or perhaps it is just oversight. I cannot find the graph of the one I have.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics