•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What is the most expensive eyepiece?

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#26 CeleNoptic

CeleNoptic

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mid-Atlantic, Bortle 7

Posted 13 April 2021 - 10:08 PM

For the record --- When you spring for it, this is how to properly store your 17mm Ethos >>>   Tom

~click on~ >>>

Did I miss something? I don't see your most expensive on this pic. It should be on the top of the Terminagler, shouldn't it? grin.gif

Edited by CeleNoptic, 13 April 2021 - 10:10 PM.

#27 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Cosmos

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 13 April 2021 - 10:32 PM

Is that a photo Elizabeth Montgomery in the background, Tom? 

Yep! I have a gallery of classic movie star portraits in my aerospace office. Fae Wray, Marilyn Monroe, Kim Novak, Raquel Welch, Leslie Caron, Elizabeth Taylor, Lucille Ball, Dawn Wells, Elizabeth Montgomery... and a few dozen others. Those, a few eyepieces, and my Aerospace Program Coffee Mugs are all I need.    Tom

• oldphysics and Joe1950 like this

#28 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Cosmos

Posted 13 April 2021 - 10:40 PM

Did I miss something? I don't see your most expensive on this pic. It should be on the top of the Terminagler, shouldn't it? grin.gif

Yeah --- that was an afterthought; I most certainly would have put it right on top. Thinking back on it --- may have worked out for the best. I do all my harrowing stunts without a net.  But here's a picture of it from last Halloween >>>   Tom 

Attached Thumbnails

• 61 80 Apollo 11 in the candy dish.jpg

• CeleNoptic likes this

#29 CeleNoptic

CeleNoptic

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mid-Atlantic, Bortle 7

Posted 13 April 2021 - 10:57 PM

Yeah --- that was an afterthought; I most certainly would have put it right on top. Thinking back on it --- may have worked out for the best. I do all my harrowing stunts without a net.  But here's a picture of it from last Halloween >>>   Tom 

That's how you welcome trick-or-teaters from your neighbourhood? They supposed to be avid stargazers smile.gif

#30 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 13 April 2021 - 11:03 PM

+1 for the one you buy and never use.

#31 RedzoneMN

RedzoneMN

Ranger 4

• Loc: West of the Twin Cities

Posted 14 April 2021 - 05:36 AM

The small market is to blame. If only astronomy were as popular as fishing!

#32 gwfbmd

gwfbmd

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: DC

Posted 14 April 2021 - 06:31 AM

I don't view these eyepieces as expensive.  They could last for decades, forever really.  I have eyepieces I bought in 1990 and though they looked expensive then, today I look at them and think not how much they cost (took from me) but how much they have given me.

• Shneor and jeremiah2229 like this

#33 earlyriser

earlyriser

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Cincinnati

Posted 14 April 2021 - 06:37 AM

Might be nice in a large refractor with a very long focal length.

I'm thinking something like a vintage 8" f/20 achromat. 

#34 luxo II

luxo II

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 14 April 2021 - 06:39 AM

what justifies the expense? 

Try making an eyepiece - as I did, long ago, and consider the value of your labor that went into that.

I have a lot of respect for those who make good optics and they deserve to get paid accordingly, otherwise we'd all be back in the 1950's trying to make these things ourselves, mostly by hand.

An eyepiece with 2 elements (Huygens/Ramsden) is easy enough but try making a Plossl from scratch, just the blanks, abrasives, motorised spindle, spherometer and test gear and a lathe.

What's even more amazing is that people did make them the hard way.

Edited by luxo II, 14 April 2021 - 06:58 AM.

• John Huntley, scarubia, wrvond and 2 others like this

#35 noisejammer

noisejammer

Fish Slapper

• Moderators
  • Loc: The Uncanny Valley

Posted 14 April 2021 - 11:12 AM

I can understand rare collectable eyepieces going for $$$.  But what about the readily available ones for high $?  What is the justification?  Looks to me like any hobby you reach a point of smaller gains for bigger $.

My scope primary visual scope has a focal length of 1100 mm. I bought an ES 9/120° on sale because a 1° field at 120x sounded 'interesting'... Well even though I usually binoview, it is quite an experience.

As for why .. well this eyepiece has close to a kilogram of optics - 12 elements means 24 surfaces that need to be ground, polished, figured and then each lens needs to be installed.

Compare that with a $1k8 ZAO 34 ... 4 simple elements and a narrow field. That is kind of bizarre and just reflects the rarity of these eyepieces. (And I say this as someone who thinks binoviewing with ZAO II's is reasonably routine.)

• Bintang13 likes this

#36 Kent10

Kent10

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 April 2021 - 04:05 PM

Something else that makes an eyepiece more expensive is quality control.  David Nagler talks about TV QC in a video here https://www.youtube....rYLisg8&t=223s 

They use only the best glass which is going to cost more and they look for internal dirt.  All this takes time.

#37 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 14 April 2021 - 04:32 PM

I've looked through a ZAO, an Apollo 11, a couple of 30mm Leitz Planokulars, a 3" 30mm Explore Scientific 100-degree, and two 4" eyepieces but that's as close to owning an eyepiece in that price range that I'll ever come. wink.gif

#38 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 14 April 2021 - 05:07 PM

Something else that makes an eyepiece more expensive is quality control.  David Nagler talks about TV QC in a video here https://www.youtube....rYLisg8&t=223s 

They use only the best glass which is going to cost more and they look for internal dirt.  All this takes time.

In fact, in modern optics (especially camera lenses), quality control is paramount.  It is not hard to use computers to design a good lens.  The hard part is building it reliably.  The special thing about Leica and Zeiss camera lenses, for instance, is quality control.  

• TOMDEY likes this

#39 25585

Voyager 1

• Loc: In a valley, in the SW UK. Dark end of the street.

Posted 14 April 2021 - 05:27 PM

Masuyama 3" Eyepiece  costs $1,799.00, on sale!

It has a focal length of 80mm and a 52° AFOV.

Of course you have to have a 3” focuser, and those aren’t cheap either. I’m sure there are eyepieces that cost even more!

Why would someone buy them? I don’t know. I can’t relate to those kinds of costs. shrug.gif

In a word, observatories. 

The big Sieberts are expensive. Pentax made a XL 60mm https://www.dpreview...s/post/31870156

Edited by 25585, 14 April 2021 - 05:28 PM.

• Joe1950 likes this

#40 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 14 April 2021 - 05:43 PM

I can understand rare collectable eyepieces going for $$$.  But what about the readily available ones for high $?  What is the justification?  Looks to me like any hobby you reach a point of smaller gains for bigger $.

I totally agree with you, and can only conclude that some people have more money than sense.

#41 Mitrovarr

Mitrovarr

Skylab

• Loc: Boise, Idaho

Posted 14 April 2021 - 05:46 PM

In a word, observatories.

The big Sieberts are expensive. Pentax made a XL 60mm https://www.dpreview...s/post/31870156

Yeah, observatories usually have crazy focal length and need ridiculous eyepieces to get down to useful powers for visual outreach.

Plus they have the budget.
  • 25585 likes this

#42 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 April 2021 - 05:47 PM

Right.  I think the ones that are more expensive have lots of glass in them.  You might also be paying for the design of 100 degrees, 120 degrees.  When Zeiss sold its orthos they were polished to a very high degree so they could charge more for the time involved and the name, too, I imagine.  Their reputation sells.

The ZAO I, entire set was $1180.  If you wanted the 34mm it was an additional $240.  The walnut box was an additional $50:

http://company7.com/...czabbeoclr.html

#43 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 April 2021 - 05:51 PM

Price is non-linear just as it is for telescopes and cars. For notably more function some will pay way more on price --- which is worth it to sufficient # of buyers to establish the market.

The markets are pretty stable, actually. So the ~high list~ prices of nearly all eyepieces have settled out as pretty good bargains, across the board. I actually feel that eyepieces are ~worth~ double what we can buy them for, both new and used. Imagine if we had to make them from scratch, rather than work our regular jobs and then buy and enjoy them?

>Up there on the $ scale are the magnificent TeleVue Apollo 11 listed and sold for $1245 and all 300 have sold out. A very few have sold used for around $1000. These are now impossibleish to find and arguably the best eyepiece is existence. I've got mine and continue to enjoy.

>And the 2.5-inch (barrel), three-inch and four-inch specialty eyepieces (very long focal lengths) can sell for $2000 on up from there. I have a couple and am getting more.

>And the ~Night Vision~ Image-Intensified Eyepieces selling for $2000 on up from there. I have a few.

>Honorable mention - the 3" 100° 30mm Explore Scientific that lists for $1000 sure looks attractive!

Anyway, they are all worth list and more. Just depends on what you need or want, and (especially) what you're willing and able to pay. Pretty limited markets. All it takes is a few active buyers to establish the market prices.    Tom

Only took like 2 years to sell 300 Apollo 11 eyepieces.

#44 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 April 2021 - 05:58 PM

Wish they would have done that with a 13mm type 6 I bought a couple of years.  All kinds of dirt between the groups.  The first time I sent it back, TV only cleaned the outside of the eye lens and field lens.  Never disassembled it to clean in between.  Complained here on Cloudy Nights, and they responded.  It only took them 3 times to assemble a clean eyepiece.

• ihf likes this

#45 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 April 2021 - 06:09 PM

In fact, in modern optics (especially camera lenses), quality control is paramount.  It is not hard to use computers to design a good lens.  The hard part is building it reliably.  The special thing about Leica and Zeiss camera lenses, for instance, is quality control.  

It is important to differentiate between Sony/Zeiss lenses which are made in Thailand, and where Sony designs and manufactures them, then pays a fee to Zeiss to put their name on it, and actual Zeiss camera lenses 

#46 DavidSt

DavidSt

Explorer 1

Posted 14 April 2021 - 06:55 PM

The small market is to blame. If only astronomy were as popular as fishing!

I flyfish by day, skywatch by night. I’ll stop drinking coffee when I’m dead.

Edited by DavidSt, 14 April 2021 - 10:37 PM.

• John Huntley likes this

#47 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Cosmos

Posted 14 April 2021 - 06:57 PM

Only took like 2 years to sell 300 Apollo 11 eyepieces.

It's an exclusive club, keep in mind that astronomers are notoriously poor --- they just go into it for the love of it. Anyway, they're ~all gone now~ so can stop dreamin' about it forevermore.    Tom

• sanbai likes this

#48 RedzoneMN

RedzoneMN

Ranger 4

• Loc: West of the Twin Cities

Posted 14 April 2021 - 07:28 PM

It's an exclusive club, keep in mind that astronomers are notoriously poor --- they just go into it for the love of it. Anyway, they're ~all gone now~ so can stop dreamin' about it forevermore.    Tom

I thought WHCT had one in stock to sell. 

• SandyHouTex likes this

#49 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Cosmos

Posted 14 April 2021 - 09:01 PM

The TeleVue Apollo 11 Eyepiece availabity >>>

I thought WHCT had one in stock to sell. 

Thanx for the tip, Red.

WOW! --- I just visited and it looks like they have one?! They have the old boiler plate "join our waiting list", but do have their | In Stock | flag still turned on. TeleVue has removed it entirely from their site and other Dealers show no lingering evidence of it. So that one could very well be the last and only BNIB available from a dealer?! If I didn't have mine already, I'd jump on it immediately. [Here Tom rushes past the Wine Cellar and van Gogh Gallery... down to his Eyepiece Vault and confirms SN #119 is still there.] Hmmm... I did at one time consider two A-11's, but concluded that my nose is too big to accommodate both simultaneously. But I didn't consider a spare just in case I drop or foolishly misplace #119. I'd sleep better, knowing I bought up the very last one. On the other hand, I still have a couple more three-inchers on my impulse-buy list. And just signed the contract for the kitchen do-over, and the Vette wants new sticky tires etc. "Jeeves, check the tires on the Stingray... Bay six... good for this season or not?" Jeeves will report back shortly. You may be able to yank that spare A-11 out from under me if you order within the next ten minutes.

You know that enticing TV commercial, where William Devane memorably boasts, "I even like the feel of gold!"  Well, friends, that's conveys the same feeling you get fondling your Apollo Eleven, as you slide it into the MOONLITE, fine-tune focus, and then dive in. Only we choice few experience that; come join the club!    Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 56 Apollo 11 Eyepiece 78.jpg

• denis0007dl likes this

#50 dhkaiser

dhkaiser

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 14 April 2021 - 09:04 PM

Years ago, 20 maybe 30 years ago I knew a fellow who had every accessory Celestron had for his telescope.  He had an enclosed trailer to haul it all.  He could quote all the specs on all of them.

The one and only time we observed together we were polar aligning out scopes in late twilight.  He came to me and asked which star was Polaris.

I'm not saying anyone who buys a ton of eyepieces are like him, but they are out there.

• Sarkikos, SandyHouTex, Magnitude7 and 2 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics